Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Jun 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3416961)   #51
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Plato and his old antics again ,clear driving standards violation
It's been a while since we've seen it, but the move on Turks was so blatant.

Unsurprising to see Smith win. Not only was he on pole in a track that you can't pass easily on, but he's amazing in low grip conditions, and Shedden was busy defending.

All 3 races were won by the Irish drivers.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 16:47 (Ref:3416962)   #52
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mike Jordan slams rules and track layout
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/gene...seless-racing/
Interesting to hear that Andy had words with Menu. If I were him I'd tell him that at least he's a title contender, and at least he can pass without a blatant attack on the other driver.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 16:49 (Ref:3416963)   #53
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
It's been a while since we've seen it, but the move on Turks was so blatant.

I think in the 1st pass he knocked over track markers before the straight to gain momentum so another violation of track limits

if TOCA doesn't give a real penalty it's blatant bias and mockery of the rules
Old 8 Jun 2014, 16:56 (Ref:3416966)   #54
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
if TOCA doesn't give a real penalty it's blatant bias and mockery of the rules
They've done it before. Remember Donington a couple of years ago when he rammed Shedden through the gravel at the final chicane for 2nd? They penalised him 2 seconds, and then when Mat Jackson was excluded from his win, Plato ended up 2nd anyway. It was a total joke. That move alone deserved exclusion and a hell of a lot of points on his license, if not an endorsement.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 17:39 (Ref:3416986)   #55
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Despite my personal enjoyment of today, it appears I am in a minority. Majority Rules so I cannot see the International layout returning in 2015. However, I also cannot see Gow bringing back the hairpin, as the only moves you can possibly achieve there, mostly, are superficial "push to pass" of the sort he wants rid off. I strongly suspect we will see the Fosters track back.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 19:50 (Ref:3417050)   #56
porsche962fan
Veteran

still no news

Plato got away with murder again
Old 8 Jun 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3417053)   #57
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
still no news

Plato got away with murder again
No he didn't: http://www.touringcartimes.com/2014/...oted-to-third/
Old 8 Jun 2014, 20:24 (Ref:3417087)   #58
porsche962fan
Veteran

good

now there is the issue of the Collard incident
Old 8 Jun 2014, 20:27 (Ref:3417093)   #59
BtccLee
Veteran

Quote:
good

now there is the issue of the Collard incident
Some people are never happy! I think that was 50/50, TV did not show it clearly but Plato was down the inside late but then Collard turned in.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 20:34 (Ref:3417097)   #60
porsche962fan
Veteran

this issues need sorted quickly

cos let's face it in the latter part of the season it would be no surprise if "some" title contenders decide to put a similar move on Turks
Old 8 Jun 2014, 21:07 (Ref:3417122)   #61
MrAero
Rookie

MrAero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say it's starting to look like a four horse race. Neal is now 67 points behind and at no point has he looked like stamping the sort of authority on a weekend that he now needs to do to claw those above him.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 21:37 (Ref:3417158)   #62
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I think the combination of Mr Palmers dream of track limits rules, and a bad choice of track configuration quite easily produced the most boring btcc races I've witnessed in a very very long time

They even made the Brands Hatch GP races look like nail-biters

Ok so race 3 was ok, give or take, but mainly down to an act of nature rather than anything the btcc managed to supply

I'll possibly now get shot down by some on here, BUT, some on here would find excitement of almost orgasmic proportions in two snails crawling down a runway if an engine note were added.

If the track limit rules dont undergo a rework, and the btcc uses this layout again, it's a good opportunity for a few of us to decorate the bog or assemble that B&Q shelving kit that sat in the loft....
Old 8 Jun 2014, 21:38 (Ref:3417164)   #63
porsche962fan
Veteran

I agree

it recent meeting its like Neal is constantly outclassed by Flash

and out the remaining 6 tracks, 3 are absolutely WSR BMW territory

Croft, Knockhill and Rockingham

while Silverstone, Snetterton and Brands may not suit Turks but if he can hang on and score points I reckon he will be double champion !!

and ironic since he was linked to that Onyx WTCC vaporware while staying with WSR in BTCC he has very high chances of becoming champion
Old 8 Jun 2014, 21:57 (Ref:3417185)   #64
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
When I first heard that they would be using the full circuit, I was excited. A great track that would fit the current BTCC. I also didn't really miss the island harpin as that too often encouraged the 'punt to pass'.

Sadly the first race was processional and the second race was only slightly better. Shame we can't have another race here this year to give a second chance because it is such a great track. But if Plato's comment after race 2 is anything to go by, surely it is time we got rid of this boost adjustment, because it is actually making overtaking happen less if a car with more boost is holding up other guys. After all the first three race shows we don't need it to make racing more exciting.

So happy for Colin. He knows how to win championships and this is just reward for his hard work in getting the BMW right. Andy Jordan had a bad weekend, but due to the wet qualifying, maximum ballast and lack of overtaking opportunities, this is at the moment a one off. Matt Neal though I feel needs a miracle to get into contention, two non scores and no wins is not good after four meetings.

Well done to Aron Smith, proving that the VW is a winner even if it was a reversed grid race. Proves how serious Warren Scott has been about everything. Shame Menu qualified so far back on one of his favourite circuits, who knows how much better he could have done at the front. Happy for Rob Austin too, good to see him back at the front.

The Plato/Collard move, it seems to me that Collard does have a habit of closing the door on others. But Plato's punt on Colin was the most blatant move and I'm glad the stewards have been consistent in penalising him. Even the hit wasn't deliberate, he should have let Colin stay in front in the corner. At least Menu can say he tried to pass people!

Gutted that I have to wait til tomorrow to see the second Historic race, was really looking forward to it after all the announcement months back and the first race yesterday. Interesting to see Slim Borgudd's unraced Mazda, wonder if we see any more unraced cars in the series. Probably would be enough for a full grid!
Old 9 Jun 2014, 07:26 (Ref:3417348)   #65
CaptRustyNail
Racer

CaptRustyNail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too was pretty excited when they announced the full circuit layout, and there were a few good vantage points for photos on the Saturday.

However i agree with others in the fact i was a bit disappointed in the quality of the BTCC races 1 and 2, very processional. Even though there were quicker cars behind they just didnt quite have enough pace to pass, Was almost as if the only real place these guys could pass would have been island hairpin and knickerbrook, Island obviously wasn't used and Shell Oils is a hard place to pass.

Glad Plato got a penalty it was a blatant move! Made me giggle that everyone near me stopped clapping when he came past!

The Ginetta Juniors i feel provided some of the best close racing, despite the Brain Fart of a move by Brown out of Shell Oils!

Great weekend but my only gripe is as such, Admittedly its been a while since ive attended a live BTCC race meeting, Im usually marshalling elsewhere or playing football (boo), but since i last went has there been an explosion in gazebos and wind breaker tents? Particularly annoying when you have a line of of them all right up against the fencing! surely they should be made to be further up the banking etc!
Old 9 Jun 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3417351)   #66
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
I was disappointed, by both the racing and by the driving standards of some of the more experienced boys.

Race 3 was good. I personally think Árón Smith has plenty of talent and with a bit of refining (and the correct car) could become a champion. He narrowly outshone Mat Jackson last season, and has been very close to Alain Menu whenever he's been behind, and that hasn't happened as often as you might think! He's now beaten Menu to claiming the first win for both the car and the team, and deserves it.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 11:27 (Ref:3417463)   #67
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAero View Post
I have to say it's starting to look like a four horse race. Neal is now 67 points behind and at no point has he looked like stamping the sort of authority on a weekend that he now needs to do to claw those above him.
Dare I say that Neal has lost it and is no longer the force he once was?
Old 9 Jun 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3417518)   #68
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So rare for Alan Gow to make a decision that compromises the excitement value of The Show, but this was one of those days. Race 3 improved things a little, but not enough. Most of the support races were dull too, only the usual teenage over-excitement of the Juniors really entertained. The nostalgic discussion of Super Touring and a look at some of the cars was the highlight of the day. Made me feel like such a nerd when I recognised all but 2 cars, and one turned out to have never been raced in that livery...
Old 9 Jun 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3417565)   #69
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I personally don't believe that the quality of the racing has actually been as good with NGTC as with the previous S2000 generation, just in general, I don't specifically mean at Oulton Park International.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3417569)   #70
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Meanwhile, I think that NGTC and the regulation changes that have come with it has meant that we have the highest quality field since 2000, and the racing has not suffered.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 14:41 (Ref:3417587)   #71
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Dare I say that Neal has lost it and is no longer the force he once was?
agree

perhaps time to hang his helmet and managing the team instead

it's now the norm that Shedden outpeforms him
Old 9 Jun 2014, 17:08 (Ref:3417659)   #72
MrAero
Rookie

How many overtakes for the lead have we seen this year? Ignoring first lap shuffles:

Brands - 1 (in third race)
Donnington - 1 (in third race)
Thruxton - 1 (in second race)
Oulton Park 0.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 17:14 (Ref:3417665)   #73
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAero View Post
How many overtakes for the lead have we seen this year? Ignoring first lap shuffles:

Brands - 1 (in third race)
Donnington - 1 (in third race)
Thruxton - 1 (in second race)
Oulton Park 0.

Oh sorry. Didn't realise it was only lead overtakes that make a race

After lap 1 drivers in positions 3rd to 31st should all save cars, fuel and tyres by pulling back into the garages then

Now that's going to cut costs.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3417671)   #74
MrAero
Rookie

Clearly all overtakes can be entertaining, but there's no denying that the higher up the field a battle is, the greater its gravitas.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3417732)   #75
porsche962fan
Veteran

as expected the moaning about RWD advantage already started lead by our favorite moaner PLATO
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/plat...rwd-advantage/

so will go TOCA jump and slap them with more weight/ less boost ?

if the Civic Tourer was ultra dominant he would have moaned about estates too