Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 17 Dec 2012, 18:29 (Ref:3179526)   #26
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know about anyone else, but I think Goodwood Revival would be a good time even for people who don't like car racing (yet). Lots of exhibits, dressing up, airplanes, art, etc.

That said, the next thing I might take a partner to would be a 750 MC event. Real grass-roots, good fields, lovely accessible paddock. Just for the contrast -- like "That was one end of the spectrum, here's the other."

Of course, what do I know? I was brought up as a track brat, and my idea of a lovely vacation is Le Mans.
keke
Old 18 Dec 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3179764)   #27
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I think Goodwood Revival would be a good time even for people who don't like car racing (yet). Lots of exhibits, dressing up, airplanes, art, etc.
risky strategy - it's like starting your spectating career with something epic like le mans. not everything has that level of distraction away from the track and cars. heading from there to a damp, soggy silverstone where the only thing going on besides the racing is a dodgy butty van could kill off any developing interest
Old 18 Dec 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3179825)   #28
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dump her, and find a partner that is interested in motorsport?
Old 18 Dec 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3179839)   #29
skeeskirrt
Racer

United States
Boney Mountain
skeeskirrt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recommend an historic event. Find a venue with a grassy hillside, make it like a day out at the park. If she is truly into you, she will go and pretend to like it even when she doesn't. If she complains the whole time, then it wasn't meant to be.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3179991)   #30
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
And if after all that she really doesn't dig it, just barter a deal of 'You don't come racing, i don't go shopping.'
Old 19 Dec 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3180008)   #31
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAussie94 View Post
I love motorsport.. My Girlfriend on the other hand has very little interest and knowledge of the sport. She has expressed a desire to learn things and to attend events however I fear that she could be put off completely if the event isn't the right sort.

Does anyone have any tips for how I could introduce her to the sport from their own past experience? Or do people believe it could be a lost cause?

Cheers
I made my other half "team manager" so she had to attend the meetings.
It's very true that first impressions can "make or break"a relationship but if the spark isn't there in the first place a freezing rainy track isn't likely to improve things !
Saying all this, over the years I have never seen some of my fellow racers wives/girlfriends, so it can still work .
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Dec 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3180015)   #32
ron1902
Racer

England
england
ron1902 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my wife was never interested..then i began marshaling and finally she gave in and went to touring cars at croft.i was on post almost opposite them and could see she had a great time//following platos races// any way now she wants to go every chance she gets. also avidly follows the sport on tv
Old 24 Dec 2012, 00:37 (Ref:3181519)   #33
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
Thank you for backing up my point. In Australia, we don't have anything as creative as Goodwood, but there's more to take in away from the on track stuff at historics. Especially compared to a regular state meet, which is no frills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Dump her, and find a partner that is interested in motorsport?
He would be lonely though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1902 View Post
my wife was never interested..then i began marshaling and finally she gave in and went to touring cars at croft.i was on post almost opposite them and could see she had a great time//following platos races// any way now she wants to go every chance she gets. also avidly follows the sport on tv
What is it with plato over there?? He's a peanut.
Old 24 Dec 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3181637)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Thank you for backing up my point. In Australia, we don't have anything as creative as Goodwood, but there's more to take in away from the on track stuff at historics. Especially compared to a regular state meet, which is no frills.

He would be lonely though.

What is it with plato over there?? He's a peanut.

Thoroughly nice bloke,but yes, you're right.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3183752)   #35
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took my partner to Rockingham for a 1st date in June 2007 for SCSA V8's(It rained though!), Pickups etc. And we're still together!!
Old 2 Jan 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3183811)   #36
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
My mechanic drove me + my hotrod and his "then" girlfriend to a Hotrod meeting, 40+ years on the "girlfriend" and I are still together !
And he's still my mate and was our best man !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Jan 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3183837)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's my anniversary in 3 weeks time - #25. The first motor sports event I took my wife too was very ill-fated indeed. It was on 21st August 1988. Johnny Herbert was left wth some very dodgy legs afterwards..... To make matters worse, I shunted my MGB on ice on the way there. I didn't hit anything, but the next car around the corner did exactly the same and hit me. Had it repaired but it was never the same.

My missus has very occasionally come to minor meets when the kids were young but as I now only go to Le Mans and the Silverstone WEC meeting, I don't need to try and persuade her - except for justifying the expense!
Old 6 Jan 2013, 20:32 (Ref:3185656)   #38
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
My mechanic drove me + my hotrod and his "then" girlfriend to a Hotrod meeting, 40+ years on the "girlfriend" and I are still together !
And he's still my mate and was our best man !!!!
That is really awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It's my anniversary in 3 weeks time - #25. The first motor sports event I took my wife too was very ill-fated indeed. It was on 21st August 1988. Johnny Herbert was left wth some very dodgy legs afterwards..... To make matters worse, I shunted my MGB on ice on the way there. I didn't hit anything, but the next car around the corner did exactly the same and hit me. Had it repaired but it was never the same.

My missus has very occasionally come to minor meets when the kids were young but as I now only go to Le Mans and the Silverstone WEC meeting, I don't need to try and persuade her - except for justifying the expense!
Any sentence with MGB and ice in it does not compute in my brain.

When I see the weather here in Toronto, I sometimes think about what it would have been like driving in Detroit Iron in Canada and the Northeast and Midwest USA circa 1950-1990. I... don't know how people did not constantly die, and how anyone is left alive here.

As for the topic, I'm single! Woo! Wait... is that good or bad? Past girlfriends were actually really awesome and we would always take interest in each others hobbies. I never took one to a race though, or any other sporting event. Too bad.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3186129)   #39
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It was on 21st August 1988. Johnny Herbert was left wth some very dodgy legs afterwards..... To make matters worse, I shunted my MGB on ice on the way there.
Ice.... in August 1988? Are you George Bernard?
Old 7 Jan 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3186133)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The date is absolutely right. There is (maybe was now) a water pumping station not so far from Brands. It was a dry day but there had been a surprising frost. The road near the pumping station was covered in a light layer of water which had frozen. Surprising for August, but quite true.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3186154)   #41
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
I see. Or icy.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 23:33 (Ref:3186222)   #42
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I do find that surprising; the lowest temp at Biggin Hill over the period 20/21/22 August 1988 was 11 dec C
http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/B...1988/37663.htm
(I couldn't find a closer weather station)
Old 8 Jan 2013, 02:00 (Ref:3186250)   #43
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could it have been hailstones? They occur in summer and are slippery.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 05:48 (Ref:3186292)   #44
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tough subject, some of my past girlfriends enjoyed going to events but not all.
The missus I met at Silvertsone whilst I was spannering in the paddock and our 1st Holiday was to Le Mans ....... that was 12 years ago. Its all pot luck.
You could always mention at least you're not suggesting going down the pub with her & your mates talking football
Old 8 Jan 2013, 09:18 (Ref:3186326)   #45
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
getting a partner interested in motorsport

I took a new lady friend to Hednesford Hills to see the Nat Hot Rods ( she had never been to a motorsport event in her life ) last May. It was cold but she was hooked.
Then we had a weekend in Nth Wales so we did Anglesey on the Sunday.A gale force wind but it was a good excuse to hold her close.
In June we went to Mallory.A lovely warm day,sat on the bank at Shaws hairpin.
A picnic,bottle of wine and a good mix of formulae, MG 50th anniv race,Intermarque,sports cars etc. She knows all about outbraking now!

The only track I've not visited is Knockhill and she is suggesting a few days break to pay a visit.I mean how can I refuse.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 09:28 (Ref:3186332)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Could it have been hailstones? They occur in summer and are slippery.
It's a long time ago now. I just remember the day and what happened. Strange how it never occurred to me that it was a funny thing in August......
Old 8 Jan 2013, 09:31 (Ref:3186336)   #47
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,the Mallory meeting was the one where poor Al Weyman's engine let go.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3206610)   #48
SouthAussie94
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
SouthAussie94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I've decided on her first event. The Clipsal 500 V8 Supercar race in Adelaide. I'm going all four days, with her coming on the Saturday. There are 6 races on the day ranging from V8 Supercars to Carrera Cup to Ute Racing, along with Ken Block performing Gymkhana. Hopefully there is enough for her to be kept entertained and hopefully to spark an interest in Motorsport.

I'm thinking that during the warm up laps I'll get her to choose a car for her to support. If she has a car that she can follow and keep track of that may boost her interest.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or tips?
Old 19 Feb 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3207193)   #49
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
State twilight at Mallala not good enough for ya?