Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Feb 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3709083)   #51
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
also have seen it referred to as both Mclaren and Marlboro.

wiki isnt much help either with the Project 4 page saying its 'Mclaren':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Four_Racing

and oddly the Mclaren MP4/1 page saying its Marlboro:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_MP4/1#cite_note-1
Old 4 Feb 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3709331)   #52
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The naming of what became known as the MP4 does seem shrouded in secrecy. The official McLaren documentation and their videos refer to MP4/1 as being the McLaren Project 4 car, but if you look at pictures of all their cars at the MTC, Marlboro signage seems to have been removed (or airbrushed out) from all of the cars.

It is almost as if the association never existed. In fact, the same seems to apply to the West logos as well!
Old 4 Feb 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3709334)   #53
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The naming of what became known as the MP4 does seem shrouded in secrecy. The official McLaren documentation and their videos refer to MP4/1 as being the McLaren Project 4 car, but if you look at pictures of all their cars at the MTC, Marlboro signage seems to have been removed (or airbrushed out) from all of the cars.

It is almost as if the association never existed. In fact, the same seems to apply to the West logos as well!
The rules around tobacco advertising likely caused this

McLarens have ALWAYS been MP4s for me
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 Feb 2017, 12:18 (Ref:3709347)   #54
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I don't think that this stops others continuing to run historic cars in their original liveries. For example, Classic Team Lotus still run their old cars with John Player liveries, as well as Gold Leaf and Camel. Ligier still run cars with Gitanes liveries, and the Jordans with B & H logos.

There is just something weird about McLaren wiping decades of history from their display cars at MTC.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 14:02 (Ref:3709378)   #55
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't think that this stops others continuing to run historic cars in their original liveries. For example, Classic Team Lotus still run their old cars with John Player liveries, as well as Gold Leaf and Camel. Ligier still run cars with Gitanes liveries, and the Jordans with B & H logos.

There is just something weird about McLaren wiping decades of history from their display cars at MTC.
And I thought it was only the winners who got to re-write history.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3709422)   #56
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
There is something slightly Stalinist about trying to make Ron a "non-person".
Old 4 Feb 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3709567)   #57
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I don't understand why McLaren are messing with the MP4 part of their car identifier ?
If it's an attempt to remove RD from the history books then it's just plain azanine ..
Old 5 Feb 2017, 08:17 (Ref:3710063)   #58
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I don't understand why McLaren are messing with the MP4 part of their car identifier ?
If it's an attempt to remove RD from the history books then it's just plain azanine ..
sounds like they're pushing a new broom... sorta like how Ron did in 80-81, I guess. the MP4 designator was entwined with RD anyway - he would be the only common denominator between MP4/1 and MP4/101 or whatever we've made it to anyway... I guess if they're repeating many of Ron's past practices, they might be plain asinine... it's something of which Ron was accused of being on many occasions! So there's still some tradition there, it seems
Old 6 Feb 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3710438)   #59
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New phase in the whole McLaren story and MP4 represents the Ron Dennis phase, now over.

You cannot erase the history, the current management just want to show how good they are and like many new groups they think changing the "logo" will help, we shall see.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 21:57 (Ref:3710566)   #60
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

McLarens have ALWAYS been MP4s for me
Excactly right, could we leave somethings well enough alone McLaren 🙄
Old 7 Feb 2017, 00:05 (Ref:3710585)   #61
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going back to Orange would be a great to link to the (new) beginning.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 12:44 (Ref:3710691)   #62
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect the MP4 element binds McLaren to Ron in some commercial / legal sense, as a guess - that's why they're taking that step.

If it's for any other reason that commercial / legal necessity, it would be bizarre.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3710721)   #63
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I suspect the MP4 element binds McLaren to Ron in some commercial / legal sense, as a guess - that's why they're taking that step.

If it's for any other reason that commercial / legal necessity, it would be bizarre.
That's an interesting thought. Might Ron own the name "Project 4"? And MP4 is dangerously close to that or even a trademark that McLaren doesn't control? Even if that was the case, was the split that acrimonious they they fear legal action from Ron over that part of the name? And what would Ron have to win if he went down that path?

Richard
Old 7 Feb 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3710739)   #64
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i can see the logic of it being for commercial/legal reasons and/or part of the process of buying RD out of his remaining shares/settlement. even can see it as a positive gesture to let RD have his old name back if he decides to start another race team.

but if it was just about distancing the team from RD's history then why retain the '32' number? if that was the intent then surely MCL1 would more definitively mark 'year 1' of new era.
Old 8 Feb 2017, 01:10 (Ref:3710844)   #65
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see no issues apart from historical. Ferrari chop and change willy nilly. It's still the 32nd car from McLaren. Granted, if the time comes, a Williams car without FW is going to look strange.
Old 8 Feb 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3710946)   #66
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So with Capito now gone after not long with the team, what is going to happen now? I just hope Boullier stays, he's now the only glue that can keep it together IMO
Old 8 Feb 2017, 19:31 (Ref:3711007)   #67
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So with Capito now gone after not long with the team, what is going to happen now? I just hope Boullier stays, he's now the only glue that can keep it together IMO
I suspect that sells Jonathon Neale well short....
Old 8 Feb 2017, 20:53 (Ref:3711037)   #68
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
I see no issues apart from historical. Ferrari chop and change willy nilly. It's still the 32nd car from McLaren. Granted, if the time comes, a Williams car without FW is going to look strange.
Its not the 32nd it actually at least 62nd as there were 30 cars prior to Ron taking over although not all were F1 cars. There are also the road cars from the current era not included.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3711173)   #69
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't see MP4 as anything other than an internal numbering pattern, it is not, as far as I have seen, ever been a registered Trade Mark so how else can it have any legal significance?

Just new broom syndrome