Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 2 Apr 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2168231)   #1
oxide
Rookie

oxide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im new to track days, car advice

ive been wanting to get in to track days for years now and ive decided that im going to buy a car especially for it as i dont want to wreck my daily drive

ive been doing some research in to what would make a good base for me (a beginner) and ive come up with 2 cars, a mazda mx3 1.8 v6 and a 2.0 mr2 but im leaning towards the mazda as i think is would be more predictable on the track

any advice would be great
Old 3 Apr 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2168615)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If you are thinking you might wreck the car I wouldn't advise a small sports job. You can get a half decent performance saloon (like a scubie ) for a couple of grand that will be a bit safer in the "event"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Apr 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2168636)   #3
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What car have you got at the moment? That's probably more than suitable. My first car on track, about 10 years ago, was a (rear-engined) VW Beetle - 'twas good fun and I even overtook one or two other cars in it.

There's no reason you should wreck your car on trackdays - they are non-competitive and there should never be any car to car contact.

Last edited by graeme; 3 Apr 2008 at 13:03.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 23:22 (Ref:2169115)   #4
oxide
Rookie

oxide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my daily drive is an 04 bmw 330ci (my pride and joy)
Old 5 Apr 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2170468)   #5
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An MX5 would probably be better than an MX3. Make sure the brakes are good, I would recommend good quality pads such as Ferodo in 2500 compound , new discs and replace all the fluid with new DOT 5.1 before you take the car out on track, many track day novices are unaware just how hard track days are on brakes.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 07:04 (Ref:2176224)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you obviously like BMs,have you thought about an M5,there's a fantastic one in Motorsport ads.