Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 2 Nov 2012, 05:26 (Ref:3161410)   #2576
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Sloping fins were already illegal in 2012. See article 3.6.4.b of http://www.mulsannescorner.com/2012LMP12.pdf (p. 17).
You misunderstood me. I said I was hoping it would be allowed. I realize they aren't allowed now, that's why I said that.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3161523)   #2577
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
They had the full fin for a year or two and now it is the tapered fin.

Graham Goodwin said that they are for different purposes, but F1 goes 215mph at Monza and has a tapered fin, so I don't see what the problem is?
F1 cars have rather different aero profile, they don't take off at large yaw angles (i.e. while spinning). F1 fins were introduced by various teams (not mandated!) probably to improve the performance of the rear wing at slight yaw, and later used to implement rear wing blowing (F-ducts etc.). Later these fins were limited to this kind of length in an attempt to ban blown wings.

I assume LMP regulators are adamant that having smoothly integrated (and better-looking) fins would reduce their efficiency in terms of creating higher pressure over the top surface of the bodywork to prevent spinning cars from lifting. I suppose the current 'garage door' design keeps the air from 'leaking' over the car much better than F1-like fins would.

I'm not sure how 'roof flaps' can be implemented on LMP cars, but the key issue is with the underfloor, which is barely altered by 2014 regs. That's a huge opportunity missed in terms of improving safety and aero (and thus fuel) efficiency of prototypes! Everyone is so hyped about the DeltaWing's efficient aero, but the LMP regulations just wouldn't allow that.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3161526)   #2578
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
F1 cars have rather different aero profile, they don't take off at large yaw angles (i.e. while spinning). F1 fins were introduced by various teams (not mandated!) probably to improve the performance of the rear wing at slight yaw, and later used to implement rear wing blowing (F-ducts etc.). Later these fins were limited to this kind of length in an attempt to ban blown wings.

I assume LMP regulators are adamant that having smoothly integrated (and better-looking) fins would reduce their efficiency in terms of creating higher pressure over the top surface of the bodywork to prevent spinning cars from lifting. I suppose the current 'garage door' design keeps the air from 'leaking' over the car much better than F1-like fins would.

I'm not sure how 'roof flaps' can be implemented on LMP cars, but the key issue is with the underfloor, which is barely altered by 2014 regs. That's a huge opportunity missed in terms of improving safety and aero (and thus fuel) efficiency of prototypes! Everyone is so hyped about the DeltaWing's efficient aero, but the LMP regulations just wouldn't allow that.
Yes, apples to oranges comparing F1 fins to LMP...and all the data says taller is better in terms of yaw-lift reduction.

Roof flaps are all well and good, but yes, how would you write the rule to accommodate very different cars and shapes?

Finally someone gets it Re: regulations and efficiency...regulations drive efficiency. No regulations (or limited cherry picking)? Guess what, fast AND efficient car...DW is no miracle car.

There are some minor changes to the 2013 aero rules that I'm following up on and will write up this weekend.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 12:45 (Ref:3161563)   #2579
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Puzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Yes, apples to oranges comparing F1 fins to LMP...and all the data says taller is better in terms of yaw-lift reduction.

Roof flaps are all well and good, but yes, how would you write the rule to accommodate very different cars and shapes?

Finally someone gets it Re: regulations and efficiency...regulations drive efficiency. No regulations (or limited cherry picking)? Guess what, fast AND efficient car...DW is no miracle car.

There are some minor changes to the 2013 aero rules that I'm following up on and will write up this weekend.
very looking forward to your comments they are always insightfful
Old 6 Nov 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3163324)   #2580
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Laurent Chauveau also had a look at the 2014 rules: http://86400.fr/articles/232-regleme...ion-esthetique
He is also disappointed that the chassis rules are only an evolution of the current rules.

He made two drawings that highlight the dimensions of the 2014 LMP1 cars:

He clearly marks the area where the front wing is allowed.

Contrarily to Mike he seems to think that the two air extractor options (hole on top of fender or hole on side of fender) can be combined.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3163333)   #2581
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Lorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
He clearly marks the area where the front wing is allowed.
From the text it looks like stick on Jaguar XJR14 style wings will be possible.

Quote:
Contrarily to Mike he seems to think that the two air extractor options (hole on top of fender or hole on side of fender) can be combined.
The text in the draft regulations isn't that clear but it does specify:

Quote:
Cut-outs on the front and rear wheels arches are compulsory.
They must comply with one [my emphasis] of the following options:
which is option 1 (on top) or option two (on the side) of the wheel arch. It doesn't specify anywhere that both options may be chosen together. I'm hoping the second option will be more popular as they are not visible from the front, rear or above.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 14:58 (Ref:3163383)   #2582
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Identique aux P1 actuels?! Huh? I thought the cockpits were to become wider. C'est domage.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3163395)   #2583
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
According to Mike the cockpit will be a bit wider:
Quote:
The ACO talked a lot about improving efficiency, and in regards to the chassis rules the primary move towards that appears to be the reduction in the maximum width from the traditional 2000 mm to 1900 mm (Art 3.1.4). This will result in a small frontal area reduction, something along the lines of 2-3%. But this will be coupled with an 30 mm increase in cockpit height (Art 3.3.1), as well as an increase in cockpit width given the new-for-2014 cockpit visibility templates.
source: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept12.html
Old 6 Nov 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3163398)   #2584
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Identique aux P1 actuels?! Huh? I thought the cockpits were to become wider. C'est domage.
Always thought it was a mistake not being able to put to seats in.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3163402)   #2585
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
According to Mike the cockpit will be a bit wider:
source: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept12.html
I really hope so. A narrower car with a taller yet narrow greenhouse will look a lot like you know what.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 16:03 (Ref:3163403)   #2586
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
What about the fender holes? I understood from what someone said a while ago that the constructors have a choice of putting the holes over the wheels (like this year) or on the inside of the wheel well (a la GT-One and R8C), is that still the case?
Old 6 Nov 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3163405)   #2587
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought, for the visibility rules, it would have been a good idea to stipulate that the greenhouses should be completely 'glass' or perpex or whatever the windows are made out of, from about in line with where the driver sits forward, like on a Jaguar XJR-14 or Pug 905, with nothing that could block the drivers view forward. Rather than the little hatches that they look through now which seem to severly restrict peripheral vision. I hope that makes sense. Have any regulations to that affect been made?
Old 6 Nov 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3163410)   #2588
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Lorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
What about the fender holes? I understood from what someone said a while ago that the constructors have a choice of putting the holes over the wheels (like this year) or on the inside of the wheel well (a la GT-One and R8C), is that still the case?
See my post at the top!
Old 6 Nov 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3163412)   #2589
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo S View Post
See my post at the top!
Oh right, missed it. Wider greenhouse (relative to the car), narrower tires and slots on the inside of the fender... that sounds very Toyota GT-One to me.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3163413)   #2590
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
I would have thought, for the visibility rules, it would have been a good idea to stipulate that the greenhouses should be completely 'glass' or perpex or whatever the windows are made out of, from about in line with where the driver sits forward, like on a Jaguar XJR-14 or Pug 905, with nothing that could block the drivers view forward. Rather than the little hatches that they look through now which seem to severly restrict peripheral vision. I hope that makes sense. Have any regulations to that affect been made?
Vision templates that must fit inside the cockpit have been specified. See the FIA regs pdf (hosted by mulsanne mike), drawings 7, 8, 9 and 10.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 23:21 (Ref:3163547)   #2591
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
3 cm is around two finger widths wider. It's not a huge difference. I did notice 7 forward gears will be allowed though!
Old 6 Nov 2012, 23:54 (Ref:3163556)   #2592
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo S View Post
Vision templates that must fit inside the cockpit have been specified. See the FIA regs pdf (hosted by mulsanne mike), drawings 7, 8, 9 and 10.
See the accompanying text break down too (October 15 entry):

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept12.html
Old 12 Nov 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3165586)   #2593
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A recent think back over the different accident we have had at Le Mans made me realize something, which I think could be an interesting topic of discussion in here:
Previously when major accidents occurred, the ACO had a tendency to change the track layout (more recently: chicanes and removal of the "hill" after the Mulsanne kink)
Today ACO's main focus isn't on the track layout as much as it's the aero of the cars. The last 5 years of "flights" leading to the BHF's and BHH's.

Both ways has received a lot of critique, but what is actually the best choice of the two "evils"?:
1. Change of Track Layout
2. Change of Car design

Last edited by CTD; 12 Nov 2012 at 19:55.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3165593)   #2594
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Sorry, but this comparison makes no sense, to be honest. Changing the track layout (which I'd be strongly opposed to anyway) won't keep LMPs from flying in certain conditions, unless they only race on the go-kart tracks. Sometimes a particular feature of a racetrack is too prone to create dangerous accidents. This is not the case.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3165627)   #2595
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You don't need to change the layout but Le Mans will continue to be nipped and tucked to bring it into line with current safety trends.

Arnage this year. Next will be the run-off on the Karting curve I believe. The real thing I don't want to see is them go right back through the Porsche Curves and move the wall out.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3165695)   #2596
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they are going to justify keeping the big honkin' fin and the big honkin' holes, then they should move the target lap time to 3min 20 seconds (200 seconds).

And yes, I do want them to run at 2008 and 2010 speeds.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3172805)   #2597
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On John Dagys twitter, someone linked to these 2 articles suggesting Hybrids have been given a weight increase from 850kgs to 870kgs.

http://www.86400.fr/articles/234-reg...te-energetique

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-14618.html

I can't read French so maybe someone here can fill us in.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 00:51 (Ref:3172861)   #2598
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
On John Dagys twitter, someone linked to these 2 articles suggesting Hybrids have been given a weight increase from 850kgs to 870kgs.

http://www.86400.fr/articles/234-reg...te-energetique

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-14618.html

I can't read French so maybe someone here can fill us in.
The one article seems to suggest minimums overall have been moved up 20 kgs. So 850 for the privateers and 870 for hybrids (compared to 830 and 850 on the Draft 4 regulations).
Old 29 Nov 2012, 02:49 (Ref:3172896)   #2599
TF110
Veteran

United States
IMO it should be 800kg for Hybrids and 750kg for non. That'll help with efficiency!
Old 29 Nov 2012, 06:17 (Ref:3172926)   #2600
Laurent
Rookie

France
20 km away from Paris (France)
Laurent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
The one article seems to suggest minimums overall have been moved up 20 kgs. So 850 for the privateers and 870 for hybrids (compared to 830 and 850 on the Draft 4 regulations).
I can confirm that the teams have recently received Draft 5 regulations : 850 for no-ERS and 870 for ERS.