Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 6 Mar 2010, 11:22 (Ref:2646037)   #1
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010 Mull Rally Cancelled.

Taken from the 2300 Club
Written by Neil Molyneux
At a meeting on 4th March, Committee members of the 2300 Club decided unanimously that the Tour of Mull will not take place in October 2010. The decision will not be re-considered.
Enthusiasm in the Club has been hugely reduced by the serious and potentially life-threatening problems that were encountered before, during and after the 2009 event.

There exist unresolved safety issues that expose both competitors and organisers; the competitors to risks beyond the natural hazards of Mull, and the organisers to possible litigation, which seems to be the way of the world these days in the face of the most innocent of intentions.

Furthermore, the organisers have grown weary of the increasing number of negative and critical comments about their running of the event. Recent publicity has elicited huge support for the Rally, and that support is acknowledged and the Committee is very grateful for it. Sadly, it has at the same time given voice to our detractors and those who think they know better how to run the Tour of Mull.

Each member of the Committee is an unpaid volunteer, pursuing a hobby at huge cost in both time and money. The organisers make, and have always made, a massive effort to put on the very best event of which they are capable. They are proud of the fact that The Tour of Mull is very highly regarded as a motorsport and social event. There have always been problems and criticisms of one sort or another. Now the Committee’s overwhelming feeling is that the growing difficulties and increasingly bitter, often personal, confrontations have eclipsed the pleasure gained from running the Rally.

Tunnock’s, who have sponsored the Rally since 2005, fully support the Committee’s decision. As well as providing financial backing for the rally, each year they have provided the Island’s school children with items useful for their safety and comfort in addition to packs of their famous Caramel Wafers.

We will be reviewing our options for 2011 over the coming months. We will continue to present and fund the John Easson Award.

I for one am very sad that this event will not be taking place this year.
Old 6 Mar 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2646255)   #2
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Me too, was really dismayed that the 2300 club "seem" to have given up so easily on this, I know with all the politics involved that easy is probably too unfair to use but it just smacks of the minority ruining our sport for the majority of us who support and enjoy it! Bloody NIMBY's are ruining motorsport for everyone and this is just another in a very long list of events that will be killed off just so one or two people can be mollified because they made a disapproving noise.

We need support from the local councils and the realisation that all the revenue generated in their local economy is a good thing for a small inconvenience such as noise.

We seem to roll over to allow legislation to be given to this minority of people, so the NIMBY population get it all their way.

I dont know what the answer is, I just want to see fair play in these cases, and those people told what these cancellations will mean to their communities.
Old 7 Mar 2010, 21:40 (Ref:2646998)   #3
flying flynn
Racer

flying flynn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
Me too, was really dismayed that the 2300 club "seem" to have given up so easily on this, I know with all the politics involved that easy is probably too unfair to use but it just smacks of the minority ruining our sport for the majority of us who support and enjoy it! Bloody NIMBY's are ruining motorsport for everyone and this is just another in a very long list of events that will be killed off just so one or two people can be mollified because they made a disapproving noise.

We need support from the local councils and the realisation that all the revenue generated in their local economy is a good thing for a small inconvenience such as noise.

We seem to roll over to allow legislation to be given to this minority of people, so the NIMBY population get it all their way.

I dont know what the answer is, I just want to see fair play in these cases, and those people told what these cancellations will mean to their communities.

Its a real shame, as it has been on my calendar for a number of years, it is an awesome event.

I dont think the comittee has " rolled over" those lads are a lot tougher than that.
Its the daft prats who have slagged it off without actually thinking about it on other forums.
The rally has laways been run to top class International levels, [Even better than WRC in my opinion] but there are too many whingers in this sport.
Pat
Old 8 Mar 2010, 04:50 (Ref:2647206)   #4
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just expressing my thoughts Pat, it seems as though certain residents want it to happen though, there is to be a meeting on the 15th March to try and persuede the Committee to rethink. So we'll wait until then to see what happens(if anything)
Old 9 Mar 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2648467)   #5
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
2300 Club have now explained why they are not holding the 2010 event.
Link as the club have requested.

http://www.2300club.org/index.php?op...sk=view&id=541
Old 9 Mar 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2648491)   #6
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
I appologise for my earlier post on this matter and having read the latest on the 2300 clubs website I realise my comments were made from a perspective of selfish reason and frustration.
I wish this could be resolved and the rally run accordingly, however this looks, at present, unlikely.
I would like to take this opportunity to add my thanks to the 2300 club and the residents of the Isle for giving me the chance to experience the Tour of Mull last year, I found it a truely wonderful experience and one I sincerely hope to experience again.

Thank you.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2658204)   #7
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Well, how about that for a turn round? Had an Email from my Mull Accomodation saying the rally is back on. After the meeting held on the 15th I quote:

Steve Davis posted this information on the save the tour of Mull facebook page:

“At a Public meeting held on Mull on Monday 15th March there was a 100% agreement to a proposal that a rally would be held in October 8/9/10th 2010 on the island.
On the strength of this decision the Steering group unanimously agreed that Steve Davies of Dervaig Mull would be elected as Rally Organiser.”

So who's going then?
Old 23 Mar 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2658736)   #8
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
I really hope they do get the TOM going but time is short.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 19:33 (Ref:2667267)   #9
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its on, the Mull Raly 2010 will take place this October, watch www.mullrally.com for details.