Old 24 Apr 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1593729)   #1
mandyh000
Racer

England
Rugby
mandyh000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello from a Newbie

Hello to you all...

I'm a newbie to the world of marshalling, ive got my first meet @ cadwell at the weekend... Looking forward to it alot...
I've just got one problem.... I need a pair of probans and i was wondering where's the best place to buy them. I doubt they will turn up on time if i buy them online so is there anywhere near lincolnshire ill be able to buy them. Or at least lend a pair for the weekend.

Cheers,

Mandy
Old 24 Apr 2006, 12:41 (Ref:1593733)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You won't actually need any - they're not required, just that we all tend to prefer having them - and it's highly likely there'll be someone who can lend you some for the meeting. Check at sign on on the day.

And welcome to both the forum and the marshalling ranks. Have fun.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1593739)   #3
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We used to have a supply of clean used overalls for those starting out, I'm not sure what we've got left, but I'll have a look.
If you see me at sign on I may have some with me.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1593746)   #4
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mandy,

I'm "new" myself, only done a couple of meets. Don't worry about getting "tangoed" for the first meet, in my experience (NW) someone always has a tabbard \ overalls you can borrow.

*If* you decide to join the BMMC, then you can get subsidised proban's through them.

Ian
Old 24 Apr 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1593906)   #5
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Mandy,a warm welcome .Give yourself some time to see whether you are enjoying your new hobby or not, before equipping yourself in all the gear ,can be a tad expensive with all the kit and caboodle .
Hope you enjoy it
Old 24 Apr 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1594016)   #6
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the fold Mandy.

Just to echo what Woolley and the other have said, you don't need the "orange romper suit" straight away, I think I'd done about 3 or 4 meetings before I went and bought a set, but I did manage to borrow some at first.

I started marshalling about 8 years ago and I'm as keen now as I was after my first meeting (thinks back to the August of 1998 and Crossing bend at Shelsley Walsh- ahhhhhh beggining of the good days).
Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1594111)   #7
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mandy
If you do need / decide to buy some, and Mr Howarth can't help, probably ARCO in Hull would be a reasonable bet (without knowing which bit of Lincs you are in - check their website if they have somewhere close to Lincoln if you're at that end of the county).

Enjoy yourself at Cadwell, they'll look after you well.
Al.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1594359)   #8
CsM
Rookie

England
Dereham, Norfolk
CsM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi mandy

i bought my first pair from arco. ok they wasn't the race suit type of overalls they were more like mechanics overalls but they did me fine.
Make sure you dont pay the price in the book i ended up only paying about £25-30 for them. you can always get some proper ones if you decide that you like it and want to carry on
Old 25 Apr 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1594397)   #9
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll ditto CsM's comment re overalls...

i'm currently wearing some £20 welders overalls - tango orange, so right colour, they are flame resistant, tho hoping i wont be testing that out.