Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 May 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2873032)   #76
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
F1 drivers allowed to make just one move to protect their position, but it can be inside or outside, which makes sense.

Sato's effort today was especially good considering that he hadn't driven an IndyCar in the wet until yesterday!
They should adopt the same rule as used in F1 as it seems to work well.
Old 2 May 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2873068)   #77
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pretty entertaining race, once we got it going again. Another Penske/Power win....
and a great result for Graham!

Yeah, Viso got the shaft on this one. Perhaps within the regulations but if that is the case, IC should re-evaluate this rule. I didn't see anything dangerous, detrimental to the race or out-of-bounds by what Viso did (cameras could've missed it). But the rules are rules and the Andrettis are always good at complaining about others early and often. Maybe they should concentrate on tire choices in changing track conditions rather than others' driving.
Old 2 May 2011, 21:26 (Ref:2873175)   #78
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Yesterday I watched the whole mess. Today I missed most of the race because the feeds at IndyCar Al DÃ*a dropped. Good news for Hispanic Americans: the next IndyCar race is live on ESPN with Agulla and Pombo! One more reason to smile this cold and rainy month here in Uruguay.

So, Power, Franchitti and Serviá keep running at the front, Kanaan falls for the first time, Conway and Briscoe have a second good results, Rahal has his best finish in year-and-half, Hélio and Hunter-Reay keep having trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
apparently the drivers are to not defend the inside "lane" if they are under attack?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
it's a bad rule as defending the inside line is what a driver is naturally going to do and to those who watch F1 the drivers do it all the time and there's no penalty.
Any pretty much any other European and Latin American motorsport championship. I remember some defending at Long Beach, so I thought the rule had been dropped. Too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
F1 have the GP at Interlagos at the end of their season.
Therefore, the SP Indy 300 will try to be as far as possible from October-November, that is April-May.
Old 3 May 2011, 01:14 (Ref:2873264)   #79
Morgoth
Rookie

United States
Morgoth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO the race was worth the wait, good fun. Nice to see Sato going so well, rather wish the race could have gone the distance on laps to see what he could have done without having to coast the whole time saving fuel, but then the drying track might have done him in. I'm sure they expected at least another caution(as did I).

Viso for his part after the race claimed(honestly or not) he was looking for water to cool his tires... probably conveniently chose where to look for water . I didn't see him to be doing anything particularly rude, but he should know the rules by now, and he doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation.

I do tend to agree that it's a very silly rule, but it's probably responsible for a lot of the passing that does happen. I guess it's a bit like IndyCar's version of DRS, providing an unfair advantage to the following car to improve the show. Amazing that with such a rule they still find it so hard to pass at many tracks.
Old 3 May 2011, 06:26 (Ref:2873304)   #80
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Sky showing the highlights? I can't see anything about it on their schedule...
Old 3 May 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2873456)   #81
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Viso penalised for racing.

Ah dear me. I lost interest after that.

Was really enjoying Sato's lead - was desperately hoping it'd turn to victory!

Selby
Old 3 May 2011, 13:31 (Ref:2873525)   #82
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
Blocking Andretti ?
So defending the better line through a corner and leaving an opponent on dead line is blocking? Somehow I feel less and less motivated to watch this bull***t
I cannot understand such a stupid rule.
I enjoy IndyCar racing but this is absolutely disappointing.
Old 3 May 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2873557)   #83
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KV Racing, well, they almost had it in the bag at Sao Paulo. What a surprise. Yet, they did not put their two drivers on different strategies to better their chances. That was a big mistake. It's sad because they could use a good result.

This race showed who the real rain masters are: Power, Franchitti, Sato, Conway, di Silvestro, Briscoe, and surprisingly to me, Marco Andretti and Viso, too.
Old 3 May 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2873558)   #84
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Driver Standings after Sao Paulo
1) Will Power 168 pts
2) Dario Franchitti 154 pts (-14)
3) Oriol Servia 110 pts (-58)
4) Mike Conway 102 pts (-66)
5) Ryan Briscoe 101 pts (-67)
6) Tony Kanaan 99 pts (-69)
7) Alex Tagliani 85 pts (-83)
8) Scott Dixon 84 pts (-84)
9) Graham Rahal 82 pts (-86)
10) Takuma Sato 80 pts (-88)
11) Simona de Silvestro 78 pts (-90)
12) Vitor Meira 77 pts (-91)
13) Justin Wilson 70 pts (-98)
14) Marco Andretti 70 pts (-98)
15) Danica Patrick 69 pts (-99)
16) JR Hildebrand 69 pts (-99)
17) Helio Castroneves 68 pts (-100)
18) Raphael Matos 67 pts (-101)
19) James Hinchcliffe 66 pts (-102)
20) Sebastian Saavedra 62 pts (-106)
21) Charlie Kimball 58 pts (-110)
22) James Jakes 55 pts (-113)
23) Ryan Hunter-Reay 52 pts (-116)
24) E.J. Viso 51 pts (-117)
25) Sebastien Bourdais 44 pts (-124)
26) Ana Beatriz 40 pts (-128)
27) Simon Pagenaud 24 pts (-144)
28) Paul Tracy 14 pts (-154)
Old 3 May 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2873560)   #85
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefly View Post
I cannot understand such a stupid rule.
I enjoy IndyCar racing but this is absolutely disappointing.
They need to do something about this rule as it detracted from what eventually turned out to be a an entertaining race.
Old 3 May 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2873628)   #86
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
KV [...] did not put their two drivers on different strategies to better their chances. That was a big mistake. It's sad because they could use a good result.
Agree. If a midpack team gets two cars in the front, they should split strategies if there's a major choice to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
I do tend to agree that it's a very silly rule, but it's probably responsible for a lot of the passing that does happen. I guess it's a bit like IndyCar's version of DRS, providing an unfair advantage to the following car to improve the show. Amazing that with such a rule they still find it so hard to pass at many tracks.
I haven't seen so little passing in the last two years as many of you claim. This first quarter was very fun.

I guess that with turbo engines next year, the 20-time extra boost will do. I'd like half of them to get lost after 2/3 of the race, so drivers use them and don't save them for the last few laps.
Old 4 May 2011, 00:02 (Ref:2873800)   #87
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan View Post
Is Sky showing the highlights? I can't see anything about it on their schedule...
A bit gutted they're apparently not showing it, at least according to the Sky EPG. This time I will rant and rave, because that's pathetic. They don't have the excuse of no space in the schedules, something could make way for highlights easily.

I saw it live thanks to justintv anyway, but like to record each race. Guess I'll have to find the VERSUS coverage on torrent...

And the blocking rule is an absolute farce, I agree. Penalise dangerous weaving by all means, but penalising racing (of which defending is an integral part) is a joke and will hardly win over new fans.
Old 4 May 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2873885)   #88
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post

And the blocking rule is an absolute farce, I agree. Penalise dangerous weaving by all means, but penalising racing (of which defending is an integral part) is a joke and will hardly win over new fans.
Basically just lost a fan here. Disappointed in that.

I can put up with the ads every 5 minutes, the sponsors for literally everything (breathing? ), safety car every other minute, but not being allowed to race?!

Crazy!

I won't be making such an effort to follow Indycar any more unfortunately. (and believe me, being in the UK, it is an effort to follow!)

Selby
Old 4 May 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2873925)   #89
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post

I can put up with the ads every 5 minutes, the sponsors for literally everything (breathing? ), safety car every other minute, but not being allowed to race?!

Crazy!
All that was shown was how Viso left Andretti always on the long dead line through a corner which is clever defending by any means. I think it returned on him that he blocked Simona DiSilvestro at St. Pete despite being several laps down and ruining a longer go of Di Silvestro for a better position.

Quote:
I won't be making such an effort to follow Indycar any more unfortunately. (and believe me, being in the UK, it is an effort to follow!)

Selby
Well, at least in the UK you can buy a TV packet to watch it. Down here in Germany you have to rely on live streaming of some sorts completely in case of Indycar. It is in adventure by itself to find a halfway reliable stream. Not saying you should buy but at least you have possibility over there.
Old 4 May 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2873962)   #90
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Crazy!

Selby
Guess you didn't watch Edmonton last year! An absolute wall banger of a rule, and one I'm sure all drivers would call out had they not been mindless PR mouth pieces. It's not racing, it's time trialling. Funny they brought Senna up during the weekend, I'm sure he would have been impressed!
Old 4 May 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2873971)   #91
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Helio got screwed by the "inside lane" blocking rule last year too

Last edited by icemachine; 4 May 2011 at 12:26. Reason: Wrong driver named
Old 5 May 2011, 07:17 (Ref:2874366)   #92
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
They may as well actually put a line down the middle of the road...

Selby
Old 5 May 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2874954)   #93
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
They may as well actually put a line down the middle of the road...

Selby
That would be interesting along Shoreline Drive.
Old 6 May 2011, 06:02 (Ref:2875105)   #94
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Didn't they do that at San Jose in a couple places in 2007?

In past years, I know there's been a painted line before one of the corners at Pau, and the racers were NOT to go right of it on the opening lap.
Old 6 May 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2875109)   #95
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Didn't they do that at San Jose in a couple places in 2007?

In past years, I know there's been a painted line before one of the corners at Pau, and the racers were NOT to go right of it on the opening lap.
Not sure if it is what you talking about but during the Macao weekend overtaking at Melco Hairpin is prohibited for all 4-wheel series.