Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jul 2013, 10:14 (Ref:3280750)   #1
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Renault-Turbo 2014 engine noise

not sure if its been put on here yet but thought you lot might want to hear it, the recording has been taken in a dyno cell hence you can hear the turbo boost almost constantly hissing away..........consider the exhaust will have been more muffled due to fume extract ducting in the dynocell, so in the car I would expect to hear a great deal more of exhaust bark..........one thing is for sure they will still be load.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...2014-revealed/

Old 23 Jul 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3280767)   #2
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Underwhelming...
Old 23 Jul 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3280835)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
No worse than the 'Golden era'.

It's quieter because it's a turbo engine - less noise more power. Noise is wasted energy, it doesn't push the car forwards.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 00:28 (Ref:3281014)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

It's quieter because it's a turbo engine - less noise more power. Noise is wasted energy, it doesn't push the car forwards.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 03:07 (Ref:3281033)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Has Audi and Baretsky taken over your posts tonite? Think I heard that before in one of his interviews.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 03:14 (Ref:3281035)   #6
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Underwhelming...
Not exactly hair raising is it.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 03:34 (Ref:3281040)   #7
Speed Merchant 91
Rookie

United States
Gilbert, Arizona
Speed Merchant 91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds very dull, like the 80's turbo V6's or Indy Car's engines on Nyquil
Old 24 Jul 2013, 15:23 (Ref:3281178)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Not exactly hair raising is it.
No. Does it have to be?

It's been almost two decades since we heard a V12 in F1. Nice sound, but it's problems, with regard to the opposition, were that it had too many cylinders (too long), was necessarily heavier, and drank more fuel.

If you were given a set limit of fuel to use (and they have been), there's no way you would be building a V12 turbo engine for the 2014 season. Chances are that you would not necessarily be thinking of even building a V6 engine! It's quite possible, with open regulations, that you could be thinking of half of the number of cylinders that are currently mandated for F1 cars in 2014. I would have been happy to hear three cylinder engines in F1 (they sound fantastic!), but I think that there would have been too much opposition from fans.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3281240)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
It's better than the sound of the Formula E cars....
Old 24 Jul 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3281281)   #10
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am sooo happy I marshalled the BGP this year with the specific intention of hearing, for one last time, the sound of a real F1 engine.

Yes, I know and accept all the reasons for the change, and the move towards eco-friendly cars is as inevitable as the demise of the dinosaurs. I'm now waiting for an "F1" car with a wind farm across the front, covered in solar panels. Sorry but that's not my idea of F1.

I will accept the charge of being a dinosaur who liked watching (and hearing) very loud dinosaurs. But Jolly Green Giants doing economy runs just don't cut the mustard.

Might go to Santa Pod next year to remind myself what machines should sound like.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 23:15 (Ref:3281301)   #11
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has anyone ever done some sort of survey on how many people are actually hostile to F1, and motor sport in general, because it is too noisy?
FE might in fact bring a whole new audience to open wheel racing.
To some of us quieter is better.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 00:46 (Ref:3281311)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This power plant will sound fine once it's in the car and we get used to it...
Old 25 Jul 2013, 00:47 (Ref:3281312)   #13
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not the nicest sound but I'll wait till we get 20-something on track and hear what it is like. I think noise is absolutely the crux of the topline sport. Not many people turn up to hear production cars despite great racing, full grids - as they don't have the sensory overload (and marketing) that you get from topline sport. I love the S2000 and new WRC rules because now you get this feeling and sense of anticipation as cars come through the forest that you didn't get with Group N or WRC class. I know we've lamented the phrase "sound of real F1 cars" every time there is a regulation change - but hopefully they are still loud, they still scream and you can tell a Ferrari, from a Renault from a Mercedes from a Honda...
Old 2 Aug 2013, 15:21 (Ref:3285043)   #14
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say mercs monza lap sounds fantastic

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109133

interesting Andy Cowell agrees with my hypothesis about the dynocell fume extraction deadening the noise, so it will sound even better on track.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 17:34 (Ref:3285776)   #15
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How are the current engines a real F1 engine? How do you quantify that? It's not like the current engines are the only ones to ever be used. At least we get to see some engine development again. I've really missed that. To me that's what makes a real F1 engine.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3285796)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Some of the engine parameters will be frozen after a while, but a good selection of the interesting bits will be left open for further development. The things that won't get developed are the things that we've seen being developed on i.c. engines for the last hundred years or so. No ones mind is going to be blown if someone decides to build a V5 instead of a V6.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3285805)   #17
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand that.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3285891)   #18
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Some of the engine parameters will be frozen after a while, but a good selection of the interesting bits will be left open for further development. The things that won't get developed are the things that we've seen being developed on i.c. engines for the last hundred years or so. No ones mind is going to be blown if someone decides to build a V5 instead of a V6.
There is still a huge amount of work that could be brought to racing IC engines as we've discussed in the past, Bishop Rotary valves, electronically actuated valves, water injection, rotary engines, turbines, miller cycle, etc. etc.

As far as KERS go, F1 is stuck with batteries and has not even got to lithium polymer cells yet, way behind your average radio control enthusiast!

Oh well hope springs eternal in the human breast ...
Old 5 Aug 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3286107)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
There is still a huge amount of work that could be brought to racing IC engines as we've discussed in the past, Bishop Rotary valves, electronically actuated valves, water injection, rotary engines, turbines, miller cycle, etc. etc.

As far as KERS go, F1 is stuck with batteries and has not even got to lithium polymer cells yet, way behind your average radio control enthusiast!

Oh well hope springs eternal in the human breast ...
The bishop rotary valve, along with a lot of other technologies, is tied up in patented red tape. If it ever had a future, that future is now past. Electronic actuated valves have been trialed successfully, but electronically operated valves are not necessary on relatively low speed road car engines. Rotary engines have appeared in some road cars over the years, mostly Mazda's, and they still haven't cured any of its inherent problems completely. High fuel and oil consumption, poor low speed torque, poor reliability. I would be loathe to buy something that was road car technology just for the sake of technology.

I have several helicopters and aeroplanes that use Lithium Polymer batteries. Whilst superior to Lithium-ion batteries with regard to rc vehicles, they do have their drawbacks, such as lower energy density and decreased cycle count compared to lithium-ion. If Lithium Polymer batteries were suitable for F1, then I'm sure that they would be used in F1, yesterday. Not every technology is suitable, or necessary, in order to help get an F1 car around a track for a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon.