Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Nov 2017, 15:00 (Ref:3779027)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Felipe Massa to retire from F1 after 2017 season

Felipe Massa to retire from F1 after 2017 season.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/132857
Old 6 Nov 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3779029)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i would say sad news but knew it was coming.

during my time watching F1, he was certainly one of my favorites. not so much in terms of pure talent but in terms of good people and perseverance he was always near or at the top!

certainly the type of athlete i will find myself following to whatever series or endeavour he takes on next so best of luck to him!

from his retirement post on instagram, he sounds like he will be driving in both Brazil and Abu Dhabi...for sure he will race in Brazil but still not sure about Abu Dhabi as its a sensible choice for Williams to try out one of their hopefuls.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbEpDP-g...=massafelipe19

am i correct is thinking that he is also the last of the Schumi team mates?
Old 6 Nov 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3779038)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good for Massa that he wants to keep racing elsewhere. I find it difficult to assess how he's done against Stroll this year, simply because I'm not completely sure what I make of Stroll. He certainly hasn't done a bad job and has always been around the points positions where it looked like Williams would have a chance. However, it's Lance who has ended up with the bigger finishing positions. All the best to him anyway and I hope he has fun in Abu Dhabi and particularly Interlagos.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3779055)   #4
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see Massa in stockcar brasil, that is one mega series
Old 6 Nov 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3779066)   #5
WestCoast
Rookie

Canada
Great White North
WestCoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was a great "wingman"
Old 6 Nov 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3779070)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It was nice to see him comeback for one more, even if he is not quite what he was. There’s no doubt IMHO he’s become more number 2 these days. At least he can now enjoy other motorsports
Old 6 Nov 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3779073)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Top guy, decent peddler. I hope he has fun in his (F1) retirement.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3779104)   #8
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Already posted a number of days ago on another thread.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3778522
Old 6 Nov 2017, 23:24 (Ref:3779116)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Already posted a number of days ago on another thread.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3778522
Ooops, at least this is Massa specific and we can all discuss his career in F1 and his future in motorsport.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3779117)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not bad for Williams either considering Stroll paid for his year!!
Old 7 Nov 2017, 06:02 (Ref:3779165)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It seems right that he is leaving at a time of his choosing, rather than being forced out. I get the feeling he will be part of Formula E for a few years, and could prove valuable to any team with F1 experience looking to move in that direction.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 06:34 (Ref:3779173)   #12
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
The closest non-champion champion there ever has been.
Congratulations on a long and successful career Felipe.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 07:06 (Ref:3779178)   #13
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It seems right that he is leaving at a time of his choosing, rather than being forced out.
??? But he made it clear he wanted to stay for 2018 and quit when it was clear he wouldn’t be retained!
Old 7 Nov 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3779204)   #14
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
After he was within one corner of winning the WDC in 2008, I assumed that he would become WDC one day - or at least would have another chance or two. His performances in that year were really excellent.

I did not realise until I just checked that his win at that race in Brazil in 2008 was his last in F1. A few months later he was lucky to be alive after that accident. I guess we will never know if that had any affect on his driving.

I think the time is right for him to move on.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3779236)   #15
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
??? But he made it clear he wanted to stay for 2018 and quit when it was clear he wouldn’t be retained!
He has only said that part of him wanted to stay on. The other part recognises it is time to move on.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3779244)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
After he was within one corner of winning the WDC in 2008, I assumed that he would become WDC one day - or at least would have another chance or two. His performances in that year were really excellent.

I did not realise until I just checked that his win at that race in Brazil in 2008 was his last in F1. A few months later he was lucky to be alive after that accident. I guess we will never know if that had any affect on his driving.

I think the time is right for him to move on.
I always wondered whether his accident at the Hungaroring affected him.

There's an interview with him after the accident but it doesn't reveal much, though he says he doesn't remember it.

https://youtu.be/Ke4HYr6oC5A
Old 7 Nov 2017, 22:40 (Ref:3779324)   #17
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
It's nice Williams have given Felipe the dignity of announcing it himself, despite the common understanding that he was given the tap on the shoulder. Unfortunately the same didn't happen with Rubens!

A sad day for F1 though, no Brazilian drivers on the grid for next year as it stands
Old 7 Nov 2017, 23:11 (Ref:3779332)   #18
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
It's embarrassing for a driver to get the 'tap on the shoulder' at anytime in his career. But to get the tap on the shoulder twice, two years running, is a joke really.

Thanks for your contribution to F1 Massa, especially for helping make a champ out a chump during the most boring years in F1 that I could remember. Too bad about 2008. But shiz happens as they say. Goodbye. Good luck. Thank goodness.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 23:21 (Ref:3779335)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I never thought he had the stuffing to win a WDC even before his accident. Nevertheless, he's one of the good guys and he'll be missed.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 01:58 (Ref:3779359)   #20
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I always wondered whether his accident at the Hungaroring affected him.

There's an interview with him after the accident but it doesn't reveal much, though he says he doesn't remember it.

https://youtu.be/Ke4HYr6oC5A

I must admit that I never thought that he fully recovered from the injury he suffered. I also felt that Brawn were never brought to book for their part in allowing a car which they knew could lose a spring out on the track!
Old 8 Nov 2017, 02:13 (Ref:3779367)   #21
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
It's embarrassing for a driver to get the 'tap on the shoulder' at anytime in his career. But to get the tap on the shoulder twice, two years running, is a joke really.

Thanks for your contribution to F1 Massa, especially for helping make a champ out a chump during the most boring years in F1 that I could remember. Too bad about 2008. But shiz happens as they say. Goodbye. Good luck. Thank goodness.
You completely forget that Williams actually asked him back, but let's not let facts get in the way of your once again tiresome and unnecessary hatred for a universally liked driver.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 02:20 (Ref:3779370)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I never thought he had the stuffing to win a WDC even before his accident. Nevertheless, he's one of the good guys and he'll be missed.
I thought Hamilton lucked into that first WDC, what with a mixture of rain and Timo Glock. He won by just one point and it would be 6 years before he would win his second WDC, during which he either finished 4th or 5th. Had Massa won, in 2008, I would have had him down as a worthy champion.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 03:18 (Ref:3779376)   #23
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
You completely forget that Williams actually asked him back
No. But you must have forgotten that Williams were desperate, with no other realistic choice. Massa was desperate to get back into F1 too. It was desperation on both sides that led to Massa returning. If Williams had more time to make that decision again, I doubt Massa would have been asked back.

As for universally liked driver, that's your opinion. You are entitled to it. Just as I'm entitled to mine. Just because you don't agree, there's no need to stink up the forum with unnecessary comments.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 05:44 (Ref:3779394)   #24
Skam85
Veteran

Not going to get into an argument on semantics but "universally liked" was a direct reference to the majority of the forum, as well as the many, many ex and current drivers ringing his praise in tribute; as opposed to my personal opinion.

To compete at a strong level for eight more seasons after almost losing his life is an incredible effort and deserves to be applauded.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3779442)   #25
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Massa sure wasn't liked aroind f1....

http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37970529