Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 21 Oct 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2974797)   #51
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yup!

Reckon he could well be the best quickest young Spaniard on the ladder at present....
the fact he still looks like a young fernando alonso creeps me out. i also wonder how well he'd do without his season being a constant struggle for money, if you took that away where would his motivation come from? he seems to produce his best performances when he knows the crowd is behind him (he often does well in hungary for example, where he has a huge fanbase), or when he knows if he doesn't do well, it could mean curtains.

actually that's a fair point - good spanish talent, who else *is* there?
Old 22 Oct 2011, 01:30 (Ref:2975010)   #52
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the fact he still looks like a young fernando alonso creeps me out. i also wonder how well he'd do without his season being a constant struggle for money, if you took that away where would his motivation come from? he seems to produce his best performances when he knows the crowd is behind him (he often does well in hungary for example, where he has a huge fanbase), or when he knows if he doesn't do well, it could mean curtains.

It's there, it's just way too young for FR 3.5.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 02:18 (Ref:2975016)   #53
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
oh, totally forgot about javier tarancon, alex riberas seems pretty quick on his day too. who else have i forgotten?
Old 22 Oct 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2975064)   #54
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd rate Roberto Merhi higher than Costa easily.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2975072)   #55
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
oh, totally forgot about javier tarancon, alex riberas seems pretty quick on his day too. who else have i forgotten?
Sainz I am keeping an eye on Gerard Barrabeig, excellent karter and very good rookie year in Abarths.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2975099)   #56
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I'd rate Roberto Merhi higher than Costa easily.
At least equally. F3 Euroseries has lack of cars this year, but no lack of talent. I hope Mercedes won´t ship him of to DTM next year.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2975114)   #57
Robbe
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Robbe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juncadella is also pretty good.

In comparison with other big countries, Spain has many promising drivers. Look at Argentina and Brazil, rich motorsport history but few real talents.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2975196)   #58
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if you take GP2 as the cream of the crop and have a look at the top 5 of several of the lower formula from last year several of the drivers are likely to be heading to GP2.

FRenault 3.5
Robert Wickens - likely to go to Virgin F1 in either a race or test role
Jean-Eric Vergne - likely to go to Torro Rosso in race or test role
Alexander Rossi - Surely got to be looking at GP2
Albert Costa - As mentioned probrbaly GP2
Daniel Ricciardo - F1

British F3
Filepe Nasr - Looks most likely to be do Renault 3.5
Kevin Magnussen - Renault 3.5
Carlos Huertas - Another of the Brtish F3 Crop looking likely to do FRenault 3.5
Will Buller - ??
Rupert Svendsen-Cook - ??

F3 Euroseries
Roberto Mehri - ??
Marco Wittmann - ??
Daniel Juncandella - ??
Nigel Melker - possible step up to GP2
Felix Rosenquist - oculd reamain in f3euroseries

GP3
Valtteri Bottas - FRenault 3.5?
James Calado - GP2 or FRenault 3.5
Nigel Melker - GP2
Nico Muller - FRenault 3.5
Adrian Q-H - another year in GP3 possible

To be honest it looks like what i woudl call alot of the 'real' up and coming talent is looking at doing FRenault 3.5 for financial reasons. I expect alot of returnees in GP2 this year.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2975209)   #59
formula_fan
Racer

formula_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the post season testing it looks like Rossi, Calado, Melker, Hartley, Haryanto, da Costa, Richelmi, Berthon, Trummer, Ceccon and Onidi are all looking pretty set on moving to GP2 and quite a few others, budget dependant of course.

Could be a number of rookies next year because I expect a lot of drivers from last year to move on as there were a large number of experienced drivers in the field like Parente, Fillipi and Van der Garde.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 11:26 (Ref:2975493)   #60
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole View Post
Sainz .
*facepalm*

yeah, don't use the internet late at night kids, it leads to outbreaks of stupid

not sure about juncadella. merhi had a couple of quiet years but he delivered this year when he really needed to, in the same way edo mortara did with a quiet field in the euroseries. hopefully he makes a good solid choice for 2012, whatever that may be.

so... things looking quite good for the spaniards then
Old 23 Oct 2011, 13:35 (Ref:2975541)   #61
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Juncadella was soundly beaten by team mate Nasr in BMWs so in my opinion if Dani is F1 material then Felipe is world championship material. Guess the Robertsons would have a drink to that
Old 25 Oct 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2976609)   #62
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
James Calado has been confirmed at ART alongside Gutierrez for next season.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2976677)   #63
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
James Calado has been confirmed at ART alongside Gutierrez for next season.
Yee-haa! can't wait to see JC racing GP2 with ART. 2012 just got exciting...oh yeah..
Old 25 Oct 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2976737)   #64
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyndie View Post
Yee-haa! can't wait to see JC racing GP2 with ART. 2012 just got exciting...oh yeah..
The guy's talented yes, but surely Bottas should've got that gig?
Old 25 Oct 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2976750)   #65
cleanup
Rookie

England
cleanup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why?
Old 25 Oct 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2976761)   #66
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Because he won the GP3 title for ART and beat Calado in the process?
Old 25 Oct 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2976768)   #67
p-matt
Veteran

Hmmm, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the ART line-up. Nothing wrong with Gutierrez or Calado, but they aren't the true stars that ART generally tend to field. I can't see them win either championship next year.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2976772)   #68
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, ok, there's no doubt Bottas is a great driver but I think Bottas had some good luck and Calado had some bad luck. Remember Calado had two, top calibre, epic drives from the back of the pack to get on the podium.

Quote from GP2series.com

Frédéric Vasseur (ART): “James’ performances in his first year in the GP3 Series was a key reason for continuing our collaboration in the GP2 Series. James impressed Lotus ART with his professional approach and his ability to face every race situation: safety car, changing track conditions, starting from the back of the grid, he was spared nothing and James always rose to the task with a remarkable state of mind and performances which enabled him to compete for the title down to the last race. I believe that James has the potential to pull the team to the top and to win races in 2012.”

There's a spark, a buzz almost, with Calado. I spoke with him in Barcelona, he is very likeable. I like him. He is also British....
Old 25 Oct 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2976777)   #69
cleanup
Rookie

England
cleanup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Because he won the GP3 title for ART and beat Calado in the process?
One race to the very end, lets write him off then. I guess your be the one flying the Finnish flag at the next formula ford race.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2976946)   #70
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Hey no way am I writing Calado off, he's a very good driver, but my instinct still is that Bottas could be a great driver.

However, both are still a bit inconsistent and neither of them can afford to be that next season, whether they are both in GP2 or if Bottas does FR3.5. Accepted it is diffuclt to smash GP2 in your first season these days.

As for the question about the ART line up, it's not the worst one they've fielded by any stretch.

Gutierrez had a patchy first season but he was still a front runner on the whole and improved throughout the season. I would expect him to be challenging for the title in 2012.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2977818)   #71
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyndie View Post
Well, ok, there's no doubt Bottas is a great driver but I think Bottas had some good luck and Calado had some bad luck.
Bottas had bad luck as well. But ART in GP2 isn't as dominant as they used to be, so if he finds another good seat in GP2 (or World Series by Renault if GP2 doesn't work out), I'm happy.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2980162)   #72
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus Ericsson stays with iSport for Abu Dhabi and next season. http://www.isportinternational.com/l...port-for-2012/
Old 1 Nov 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2980307)   #73
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Champion elect?
Old 2 Nov 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2980659)   #74
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we may yet have an awful lot of returning drivers, including some who finished ahead of Ericsson this year. No real reason to suppose they wouldn't next year as well.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2980786)   #75
p-matt
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
I think we may yet have an awful lot of returning drivers, including some who finished ahead of Ericsson this year. No real reason to suppose they wouldn't next year as well.
Agreed. If Bianchi returns he will be champion.