Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 24 Aug 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3124225)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Well sods law struck again. The new cable functioned perfectly but the master rswitch failed on the track causing me not to qualify and then during the race to spin out and I couldnt get started again, are these things really required because they really are a pain?
After consideration I would say yes.

Anyway, hard luck.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3124250)   #27
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Hmm. Thought provoking.

One might observe that. beyond a certain age (and based on some 'research' mentioned in the 'meejyah' today,) removing one's self from the gene pool might have some wider benefits to the continuation of development of the human race. Or not, depending on your point if view.

Thus such safety devices, it could be argued, should perhaps become optional at a certain point in life, that point estimated to be the most appropriate for achieving the objective (if applicable) of reliable human continuity.
Yes.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3124295)   #28
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Hmm. Thought provoking.

One might observe that. beyond a certain age (and based on some 'research' mentioned in the 'meejyah' today,) removing one's self from the gene pool might have some wider benefits to the continuation of development of the human race. Or not, depending on your point if view.

Thus such safety devices, it could be argued, should perhaps become optional at a certain point in life, that point estimated to be the most appropriate for achieving the objective (if applicable) of reliable human continuity.
Think of it as Evolution in action. Sadly (for the human race) Darwin successes have to happen before the breeding phase, otherwise weeding out failures does not happen.

Jim
Old 24 Aug 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3124326)   #29
vjay48
Racer

vjay48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the price of a couple of pull cables is not that prohibitive, replacing them over the winter would be a sensible solution,could save a lot of hassle.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 00:09 (Ref:3124358)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Think of it as Evolution in action. Sadly (for the human race) Darwin successes have to happen before the breeding phase, otherwise weeding out failures does not happen.

Jim
Yes, quite.

But in Iceland they seem to have found some 'evidence' to suggest that childen of older fathers are slightly more prone to genetic mutations then those of younger fathers.

Thus one might conclude (assuming that the nature of the mutation is detrimental) that encouraging older males to remove themselves from the gene pool by whatever means they prefer could have a potentially beneficial outcome for the rest of the community.

Historic racing, mainly, though not exclusively, the preserve of older males could benefit here. No need for all the additional safety stuff that was never around in period on the basis that should one manage to remove one from the gene pool it would be a positive result for humanity.

Plus it would seem to solve Al's problem with cables and master switches. None needed.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3124626)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
FFS of course I know what they are and the benifits, just a bloody shame they cannot design a simple fool proof system The one on the IROC race car I am working on in the garage has a solinoid operated kill switch which is powered by a small switch a lot more reliable I would say but no doubt banned overhere.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3125806)   #32
tzei
Racer

Finland
Finland
tzei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al are you sure that you are not allowed to use electric one?

Anyhow i use choke cable like this one
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Hand...62888/10002/-1

just dry and no issues what so ever. I tend to test it from time to time.

And what comes to the evolution... aren't mutations mandatory for any spiesis to evolve. So should older males breeding be more beneficial to h.sapiens in these days?
Old 28 Aug 2012, 06:35 (Ref:3126169)   #33
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, I use an electric cutoff switch (and extinguisher).

A load of places sell them, mine is a Brise unit.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 06:39 (Ref:3126173)   #34
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
One of my fellow racers has the electrically activated extinguisher in his car. Last weekend the scrutineer asked him to do a test and the system was active..

At least it was the driver that done it!
And that is why I always leave the control box UNPLUGGED until asked to check it or in the collecting area. That way you have to faff around plugging it in and then, hopefully, remember to turn it to "test" mode rather than "make a lot of mess and cost a lot of money" mode.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3127784)   #35
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
OK Dennis thanks I wont bother on these cars but maybe on the IROC NASCAR rebuild as the one on that isnt working.