Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jan 2014, 10:37 (Ref:3361536)   #201
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I think it is to do with having to change the brake balance depending on whether the KERS is harvesting or not. The idea came about because of the greater capacity of 2014 KERS and the need for very large changes in brake balance when harvesting or not harvesting energy.
Sounds like ABS to me!
Old 29 Jan 2014, 10:38 (Ref:3361537)   #202
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Toto Wolff has now come out against the double points madness at the last race. He said F1 needs to listen to the fans.

I suspect this rule could get forgotten with the new noses.
I doubt it, some things are infinitely uglier than a piece of malformed bodywork, and this stupid double points rule is one of them!
Old 29 Jan 2014, 13:03 (Ref:3361584)   #203
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
The gear ratios will indeed be homologated during the season. I believe this is a slippery slope, as gear ratios are generally considered as a part of the set-up instead of the car design. Homologating gear ratios makes as little sense as homologating the front and rear wing configurations.
Except that this season they have 8 ratios instead of 7 ratios, and the large increase in torque through more of the rev range, means that they don't need to be spaced out quite so precisely as they would have been with the much peakier V8 engines. It may even be the case that many of the teams keep that extra 8th cog for use only when the DRS is used. I would.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 21:40 (Ref:3361834)   #204
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Except that this season they have 8 ratios instead of 7 ratios, and the large increase in torque through more of the rev range, means that they don't need to be spaced out quite so precisely as they would have been with the much peakier V8 engines. It may even be the case that many of the teams keep that extra 8th cog for use only when the DRS is used. I would.
Facts do not result in norms. The possibility of one configuration suiting all tracks does not justify this sort homologation or 'gear ratio freeze'.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 07:58 (Ref:3361959)   #205
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie still wants double points for last three races. He wants USA and Brazil included. Story HERE.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3362195)   #206
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a reversal of my early stance on this, but if its going to happen then i think its better that it happens for the last three races as it sort of turns the last block of fly away races into a playoff type thing.

dont get me wrong double points are still stupid but if its about compromise then this would actually work for me.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 18:24 (Ref:3362200)   #207
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Sounds like ABS to me!
Will it detect wheel lock and change the braking? I don't think there will be a sensor to allow that and that isn't the point.
It's comparable to the 4cylinder cut of the Renault engine in the Red Bull being called traction control.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 18:24 (Ref:3362201)   #208
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Bernie still wants double points for last three races. He wants USA and Brazil included. Story HERE.
Has he said it again or is that just the same story from a few weeks back?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 18:54 (Ref:3362212)   #209
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just figured out why Bernie wants double points for this year.

The F1 season is going nicely with a 3 way battle for the championship between Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari. The current champions are down mid table with a fast car that is always breaking down. Around the August break they start to get their reliability sorted but it looks to late but start to score more often. At the last race they are 45 points behind with a car that is now fast and reliable.......

Who is Bernie best mate among the team principles?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3362223)   #210
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Just figured out why Bernie wants double points for this year.

The F1 season is going nicely with a 3 way battle for the championship between Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari. The current champions are down mid table with a fast car that is always breaking down. Around the August break they start to get their reliability sorted but it looks to late but start to score more often. At the last race they are 45 points behind with a car that is now fast and reliable.......

Who is Bernie best mate among the team principles?
I don't believe in the double points ideas, but why not also reward those who actually have their act together at the start of the year. Double points for the first two races!

Richard
Old 30 Jan 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3362304)   #211
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I don't believe in the double points ideas, but why not also reward those who actually have their act together at the start of the year. Double points for the first two races!

Richard
Bernie would not like some body building a 100 point lead in the first 2 races would he?
Old 31 Jan 2014, 11:16 (Ref:3362506)   #212
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Looks like Nascar is taking a leaf out of Bernie's book or is it the other way round?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112366
Old 31 Jan 2014, 11:25 (Ref:3362510)   #213
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Is there a shortage of brain cells in motorsports right now?
Old 4 Feb 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3364110)   #214
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Bernie is now blaming Ferrari for his double points rule, cannot understand why Ferrari would want double point for Abu Dhabi considering Alonso performance there a few years ago.
Its more like a Bernie remark to divert attention from elsewhere so that he smells of roses!!!
http://www.pitpass.com/50873/Ecclest...-double-points
Old 4 Feb 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3364116)   #215
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
The Mercedes powered teams are all set to block any attempt by Bernie to make it double points for the last 3 races.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/0...l-three-races/

Can somebody please get rid of this absurd double points rule and fast?
Old 4 Feb 2014, 18:25 (Ref:3364121)   #216
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The Mercedes powered teams are all set to block any attempt by Bernie to make it double points for the last 3 races.

Good!!! The whole dbl points thing is totally stupid and very contrived ..
Old 4 Feb 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3364147)   #217
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
Quote:

So Mercedes powered teams clearly understand how this works. Extra points at the end of the season devalues the early points from those teams (i.e. "them") that might actually have their act together at the start of the season!

Richard
Old 4 Feb 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3364193)   #218
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Apparently Bernie put in double points to increase viewing figures, but with 90% of fans against it, the opposite is more likely! And the head-in-the-sands team bosses say it's not going to change. For goodness sake, change it before it makes a mockery of a sport not after. At least though the Benz teams are voting against there being more against the short wally in the power. And if Bernie is pushing for more double points races, who is he kidding by shifting the blame to Ferrari.

Come in Bernie, your time is up!
Old 4 Feb 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3364237)   #219
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Good!!! The whole dbl points thing is totally stupid and very contrived ..
Deliberately alienating everyone, and turning the sport into a bad joke, just plain unbelievable!
Old 6 Feb 2014, 15:44 (Ref:3364847)   #220
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
And here we go again folks !

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112434
Old 6 Feb 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3364856)   #221
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems sound. Qualifying does need a bit of a tweak.

Paying hundreds of pounds to sit and watch drivers waiting in the pits.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3364862)   #222
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still hope to see the return of the sixty-minutes qualifying sessions without the post-qualifying parc fermé, but I guess the real qualifying laps will never return.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 00:08 (Ref:3365074)   #223
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I still hope to see the return of the sixty-minutes qualifying sessions without the post-qualifying parc fermé, but I guess the real qualifying laps will never return.
What and have cars sitting in the garages for 45 of the 60 minutes before they all come out and trip over one another, with claim and counter claim of being baulked.
If your going to tweek qually, lets see a superpole style shootout for the top 10, only each car gets a 4 lap run ... the teams can choose out 2 flying laps and in or out second warm up lap flying lap then in. The in lap must be within a specific time so that when the next car is released the recovering car will be in the final 3rd of the lap.
If they want this on a fresh set of tyres that are only used for this then so be it.

Qually = low fuel + new tyres + empty track
Old 7 Feb 2014, 08:46 (Ref:3365186)   #224
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
What and have cars sitting in the garages for 45 of the 60 minutes before they all come out and trip over one another, with claim and counter claim of being baulked.
If your going to tweek qually, lets see a superpole style shootout for the top 10, only each car gets a 4 lap run ... the teams can choose out 2 flying laps and in or out second warm up lap flying lap then in. The in lap must be within a specific time so that when the next car is released the recovering car will be in the final 3rd of the lap.
If they want this on a fresh set of tyres that are only used for this then so be it.

Qually = low fuel + new tyres + empty track
I thought we had that in the early naughties?
Old 7 Feb 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3365202)   #225
Jordan 199
Rookie

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Jordan 199 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah that sounds like a spruced up one lap qualifying, which wasn't very exciting. It did mix the grid up when someone had a bad lap or broke down though.

I would say give all the teams special qualifying tyres for Q3. Make it a level playing field for everyone, rather than have cars tiptoe around because they need to preserve their super sensitive tyres for the race. And then that way, they can still keep the shootout.