Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jul 2018, 19:53 (Ref:3834187)   #1126
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why did McLaren continue with Mercedes up to and including 2014, if they fell out with them in 2008/9?
Because there were no works alternatives to staying as a customer when Merc didn’t feel listened to and decided to sell their 50% shareholding to establish their own team for 2010.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3834194)   #1127
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Because there were no works alternatives to staying as a customer when Merc didn’t feel listened to and decided to sell their 50% shareholding to establish their own team for 2010.
I always thought Mercedes decision to establish their own team, was always on the cards and nothing to do with their arrangement with McLaren. After Mercedes success with Brawn GP in 2009, Daimler AG, bought a minority stake, 45.1%, in the Brawn GP in the 2009/10 off season.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 20:15 (Ref:3834197)   #1128
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
They were well peed off with McL.

Invested hundreds of millions, purchased 50% of the company but McL thought that didn’t give them any say...
Old 1 Jul 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3834198)   #1129
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can't help thinking that the management matrix will have contributed to the ongoing mediocrity.How about fewer meetings and just designing and making parts that make the car go faster?The sheer quantity of data available should make it fairly easy to identify the weak points and with rapid manufacturing techniques,they ought to be able to get a bit closer to the sharp end.A sad state of affairs when they are trailing round so far from the front.

The reports of investigations are inevitably going to destabilise things for some areas of the group and will absorb resources until the process is concluded.The patience of the shareholders has been considerable but can't and won't be infinite.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 20:39 (Ref:3834204)   #1130
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They were well peed off with McL.

Invested hundreds of millions, purchased 50% of the company but McL thought that didn’t give them any say...
I thought they bought a 40% share of McLaren Group of which McLaren Racing Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary? They subsequently sold their stake in 2009 before buying their share in Brawn GP.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3834205)   #1131
peebee2
Veteran

Ok maybe 40% but still the same. They got no say and were ignored, so chose to spend a massive amount more and build their own team.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 20:47 (Ref:3834206)   #1132
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Ok maybe 40% but still the same. They got no say and were ignored, so chose to spend a massive amount more and build their own team.
In what respect were they ignored?
Old 1 Jul 2018, 20:49 (Ref:3834207)   #1133
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
In what respect were they ignored?
Search engines will help you!

As much about competing against them with road cars as racing IIRC. Built the Merc supercar then used the tech knowledge gained to build something without them to compete with them.

Last edited by peebee2; 1 Jul 2018 at 20:55.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3834209)   #1134
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Search engines will help you!

As much about competing against them with road cars as racing IIRC. Built the Merc supercar then used the tech knowledge gained to build something without them.
I tried googling 'Mclaren fall out with Mercedes' but mainly found articles about Ron Dennis. Though I came across one article by Joe Saward, which says:

"Things changed, however, and in 2009 Brawn-Mercedes beat McLaren-Mercedes to the World Championship. Daimler decided that it would be best to leave McLaren and buy Brawn, in order to create its own factory team. The McLaren shareholders thus bought back the Daimler shares with Mumtalakat taking an extra 20 percent and Dennis and TAG each taking 10 percent."

That's how I've always understood it. Daimler saw an opportunity set up their own works team and did so.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016...and-mclaren-2/
Old 1 Jul 2018, 21:17 (Ref:3834212)   #1135
peebee2
Veteran

Exactly. And why they decided it best to leave McLaren. If the garden was rosy they wouldn't have...
Old 1 Jul 2018, 21:35 (Ref:3834216)   #1136
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I tried googling 'Mclaren fall out with Mercedes' but mainly found articles about Ron Dennis. Though I came across one article by Joe Saward, which says:

"Things changed, however, and in 2009 Brawn-Mercedes beat McLaren-Mercedes to the World Championship. Daimler decided that it would be best to leave McLaren and buy Brawn, in order to create its own factory team. The McLaren shareholders thus bought back the Daimler shares with Mumtalakat taking an extra 20 percent and Dennis and TAG each taking 10 percent."

That's how I've always understood it. Daimler saw an opportunity set up their own works team and did so.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016...and-mclaren-2/
The head of Mercedes Formula One, Norbert Haug, said the split was due to McLaren's intention to build the MP4-12C. "McLaren wanted to go in their own direction with their street sports car," he said. "At Mercedes we have been doing it for many years. It (McLaren's) was not our way and we found an amicable solution." Regarding F1 he said, "We continue to supply them with engines but we have created our own team. We are grateful about our many joint successes. Only Ferrari was more successful than us."

'holding the upper hand on matters like – not allowing Mercedes to advertise the success of Brawn GP – insiders believe McLaren'
Old 1 Jul 2018, 22:06 (Ref:3834220)   #1137
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The head of Mercedes Formula One, Norbert Haug, said the split was due to McLaren's intention to build the MP4-12C. "McLaren wanted to go in their own direction with their street sports car," he said. "At Mercedes we have been doing it for many years. It (McLaren's) was not our way and we found an amicable solution." Regarding F1 he said, "We continue to supply them with engines but we have created our own team. We are grateful about our many joint successes. Only Ferrari was more successful than us."

'holding the upper hand on matters like – not allowing Mercedes to advertise the success of Brawn GP – insiders believe McLaren'
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting that.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3834340)   #1138
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Zak Brown is something like 18 months in charge now. Is he the right man for the job? I have not the impression the team improves.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 00:16 (Ref:3834380)   #1139
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Zak Brown is something like 18 months in charge now. Is he the right man for the job? I have not the impression the team improves.
I would never normally say something like this here but I think Zak Brown is full of BS and has managed to worm his way into 'running' McLaren.

I've met people like him over the years. They walk the walk, talk the talk but at the end of the day, they aren't up to the job. Just watching him at the Austrian GP, running from the pit wall to do whatever says it all.

Forget the matrix management, he's the problem.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3834421)   #1140
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
While plausible, Brown is responsible for commercial rather technical aspects of McLaren so it being Brown's fault that the car is poor seems illogical.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3834430)   #1141
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
While plausible, Brown is responsible for commercial rather technical aspects of McLaren so it being Brown's fault that the car is poor seems illogical.
Is he not the Team Principal and CEO?
Old 3 Jul 2018, 13:38 (Ref:3834437)   #1142
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, heres my prediction, Boullier will be sacked after the british GP...…..its a high speed circuit and will expose the flaws of McLaren for the public, sponsors and share-holders clearly to see, not to mention that Alonso is getting vocal again, it would not surprise me if Alonso walked of his own accord too...…..McLaren have just blown $100M on the Renault engine, it was a complete waste of time, so heads now must roll...….

McLaren need to get Pat Symmonds or a big design name on board at McLaren ASAP in order that the same problems can be eradicated on the 2019 car, I feel the 2018 season is a write-off already, hence I feel the race is on to save their 2019 season...….before its too late.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 16:56 (Ref:3834458)   #1143
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
OK, heres my prediction, Boullier will be sacked after the british GP...…..its a high speed circuit and will expose the flaws of McLaren for the public, sponsors and share-holders clearly to see, not to mention that Alonso is getting vocal again, it would not surprise me if Alonso walked of his own accord too...…..McLaren have just blown $100M on the Renault engine, it was a complete waste of time, so heads now must roll...….

McLaren need to get Pat Symmonds or a big design name on board at McLaren ASAP in order that the same problems can be eradicated on the 2019 car, I feel the 2018 season is a write-off already, hence I feel the race is on to save their 2019 season...….before its too late.
Why Pat Symmonds? He never designed anything of note and was involved in Crashgate.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 17:14 (Ref:3834460)   #1144
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Brown is CEO.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3834462)   #1145
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
I would never normally say something like this here but I think Zak Brown is full of BS and has managed to worm his way into 'running' McLaren.

I've met people like him over the years. They walk the walk, talk the talk but at the end of the day, they aren't up to the job. Just watching him at the Austrian GP, running from the pit wall to do whatever says it all.

He's indeed good in talking, real marketing man full of plans like Indy 500 and Le Mans but could better concentrate on the F1 team.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3834467)   #1146
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brown is the CEO and whilst he may not be directly in charge of everything, a CEOs entire work philosophy is important. McLaren is the best example of that - Ron Dennis n'all.

I don't really have an opinion of Brown, because I don't know enough about him. But BJs comments aren't the first in that sort of style. I think a lot of people think that of Brown.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 00:10 (Ref:3834499)   #1147
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post

I predict a grand total of 0 of these things will happen.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 02:14 (Ref:3834515)   #1148
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Is he not the Team Principal and CEO?
I see.

It should be first order of business to hire some quality (and cheap) young drivers -- say a Vandoorne and Norris pairing, and spend the kitty on top notch engineering staff then. I would also cut costs by buying the Renault gearbox and suspension package instead of building their own gearbox and rear suspension -- McLaren should position to align themselves as the Renault b-team, much as Force India is the Mercedes b-team.

Much like Williams, McLaren need to be realistic about their position as a customer team (such as Force India, Sauber and HAAS are accepting of) and stop operating with the unnecessary overheads of a "works team".

1. Be realistic about status as a minor team, like Jordan were above. Jordan were very sensible in spending as little as absolutely possible on driving staff!
2. The only way is up! Look how strong Force India are now!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 4 Jul 2018 at 02:20.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3834539)   #1149
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you think Brown is responsible for the car being slow you're nuts IMO.

That's like saying Mr Warburton is responsible when your toast doesn't come out right.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:22 (Ref:3834547)   #1150
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I predict a grand total of 0 of these things will happen.
Boullier has resigned.