This is well worth watching.

Click here to see Video

WOW!!!!!!!!
Old 23 Jun 2006, 16:54 (Ref:1639887)   #2
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not bad at all. Annoying piece of kit flying around next to him. Wonder why?

I have a video from France, Mont Ventoux. Must try to upload that, it is even better (or worse ).
Old 23 Jun 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1639934)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Not bad at all. Annoying piece of kit flying around next to him. Wonder why?
Going by the film, I'd say it's probably to keep his Gonads in - they wouldn't fit the car otherwise!

Terryfing, absolutely terryifing. Brilliant too...
Old 23 Jun 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1640070)   #4
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does it have sound? Or is something on my computer not working?
Old 23 Jun 2006, 23:39 (Ref:1640102)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It certainly does.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 00:44 (Ref:1640119)   #6
zac510
Veteran

Ah, seems to be working now.. Looks more like a tarmac rally stage than the type of hillclimbs I know. I've seen other European climbs with closed roads as hillclimbs. Why do they do this?
Old 25 Jun 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1640956)   #7
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Why do they do this?

Cause its brilliant....
That looks real fun to drive/spectate/marshal..

Oh.............And you right about the gonads I think Woolley
Old 25 Jun 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1641025)   #8
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's pretty awesome that, nice one.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1641521)   #9
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Ah, seems to be working now.. Looks more like a tarmac rally stage than the type of hillclimbs I know. I've seen other European climbs with closed roads as hillclimbs. Why do they do this?
Zac our rules do not allow hillclimbs to be more than "X" length, other wise it come under a different type of permit... which is why things like Mt Buller are run as rallies (originally they wanted to do it as a hillclimb)
Old 27 Jun 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1642497)   #10
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now that is what i call a hillclimb

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 27 Jun 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1642944)   #11
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
Zac our rules do not allow hillclimbs to be more than "X" length, other wise it come under a different type of permit... which is why things like Mt Buller are run as rallies (originally they wanted to do it as a hillclimb)
Yes that would make sense. But a lot of the British hillclimbs are the same. I think Harewood is the longest? So the Australian way must have grown out of the British way.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1643009)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Lerghy Frissel (sp?) on the Isle of Man ran a few times, and that was something like 1½ miles on public roads. I don't think it was ever part of the championship, though. Otherwise British climbs are generally of the 1000-1500 yards variety.

Where is Mount Buller? Dandenongs? Funny to think of hill climbs on the flattest continent on earth.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:18 (Ref:1643016)   #13
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Lerghy Frissel (sp?) on the Isle of Man ran a few times, and that was something like 1½ miles on public roads. I don't think it was ever part of the championship, though.

If thats the one that uses the famous Ramsey hairpin then I think it was once part of the championshipas I recall going there many moons ago to marshal what IIRC was the last time the championship visited the IOM.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1643021)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Not sure. I've got this nagging feeling that they ran a 'proper' meeting one day and had a play on the long hill separately, but I'm really not at all sure. I know I've seen the full climb onboard Graham Hickman's Jordan, and phenomenal it was too. In fact, I may even have the video of it.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1643027)   #15
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Not sure. I've got this nagging feeling that they ran a 'proper' meeting one day and had a play on the long hill separately, but I'm really not at all sure. I know I've seen the full climb onboard Graham Hickman's Jordan, and phenomenal it was too. In fact, I may even have the video of it.

I had a copy of that.....IIRC it was on the 1994 hillclimb video produced by Duke.......The last one they did as well I think...

Any more of this and it will be time to get the anorak out of the cupboard..
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1643029)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Is the video under it? Mine's in the loft, so I see a trip up the ladder coming on tomorrow.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1643030)   #17
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
The man must be suffering from Elephantitus of the Testes. It's quite a feat of memory as well, get the sequence of corners a bit fuddled, and it's goodnight Vienna.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1643033)   #18
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
The man must be suffering from Elephantitus of the Testes.

In English is that huge gonads ???

Quote:
Is the video under it? Mine's in the loft, so I see a trip up the ladder coming on tomorrow

Sure its the official 1994 hillclimb video by Duke..

If you find it lend it me so I can reminiss....
Old 28 Jun 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1643215)   #19
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
Where is Mount Buller? Dandenongs? Funny to think of hill climbs on the flattest continent on earth.
Snowy (ha!) Mountains. It is a run up to the ski resort but during the warm months.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1643713)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Ah, the other side. I'm sure I've seen it on TV here a couple of years ago - there was a 911 having a pretty impressive shunt when the co-driver called the wrong corner and corrected himself too late:

"Left 1 into Right 2. Sorry, Right 9". Thump. Something like that - ouch!

Steve, I'll bring the video with me until I see you.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 00:43 (Ref:1643834)   #21
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a link Woolley, it is anything but flat!
Basically, because of the permit they run this like a rally, but always on the same stage.

Our "regular" hill climbs are generally like the UK, single ribbon of tarmac (though I know of some dirt ones) over an undulating course between about 600 mt and 1200 mt.
The notable exception is Bathurst. They actually use the circuit at Bathurst in reverse direction going up through the dipper, have done so since the 20's, ie before it was used as a curcuit.