Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 20 Apr 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2866873)   #1
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Delayed PM alerts emails?

Hi,

I've noticed that emails to advise that new PM's are present seem nearly always to take some hours to come through to my registered email address.

Often I have read the PM before the email arrives so I assume that this is a delay in the pipe rather than some sort of delayed email send setting.

I seem to recall someone else noting this a few weeks ago but can't remember who or where.

It's not a big deal but is certainly a puzzle and I'm intrigued to discover (or attempt to diagnose) what causes the delay and whether others see the same effect.

It occurs to me that this could be an email account provider matter - perhaps my email provider managing something it sees as a 'bulk' delivery? If that seems likely I'll change registered accounts to see it it makes a difference.

At the moment the typical gap between PM creation and receipt of email seems to be somewhere around 10 hours most of the time. If it is of interest I'll check it more thoroughly when the opportunity arises.

All the best,

Grantp
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2866903)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you've set yourself up to get e-mail alerts on new PMs these are sent when the PM is saved. The e-mail goes from the web server through to our hosting provider for further distribution. Typical transit time from a PM being saved to an e-mail alert arriving in gmail is around 3 or 4 seconds.

As you say, a lot will depend on how your e-mail provider handles mail. In the past we've had issues with AOL where e-mail is delayed or even not delivered / marked as spam.

If you can get the whole source of the e-mail that's delivered to you you should be able to see the headers and that will show the times it was sent and the times it passes through various mail servers. This may help identify the delay.

I would seriously suggest that you use a different e-mail provider such as gmail and see if you're still experiencing the problem.