Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:42 (Ref:863955)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Renault want a Junior F1 Team

Full story at F1-Live.com

Quote:
F1 team Renault wants to link-up with Sauber, Jordan or Minardi.

According to Motorsport News, the French-arm based in Viry-Chatillon wants not only to supply the team with engines, but forge an expensive 'junior' division.

'It wouldn't be just as an engine supplier,' CEO Patrick Faure said.

He added, 'We could have agreements with drivers, engineers and mechanics as well. We'll look at all the options in September.'

Very interesting. He also makes comments that Renault will be prepared for engine supply from 2005 onwards (but more than $10 million a peice).

Which team would they take on? I cant see Sauber jumping ship. EJ I think would jump at it though, was would Paul.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 13:11 (Ref:863998)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yeah but where will Minnie and jordon get that kind of money to get Renault power....
Old 5 Feb 2004, 14:40 (Ref:864100)   #3
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think that Renault would charge them full price for powerplants if they were indeed acting as a 'Junior' team for them? I think it would be good for Minnie or Jordan (or...gasp...a new team???) to have a technical/developmental aliance with one of the teams toward the front of the grid, however limited that aliance may be...
Old 5 Feb 2004, 15:04 (Ref:864118)   #4
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None of those teams have Michelins and as far as I know none of the Bridgestone teams can jump ships now. Maybe I am wrong.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 15:11 (Ref:864124)   #5
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, that's a great point, Attila! Renault would most certainly need to be on the same tires as its Junior team...
Old 5 Feb 2004, 15:14 (Ref:864127)   #6
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Bridgestone teams are only restricted from jumping as long as they are contracted, but as has been said, i doubt Minardi or Jordan could afford that kind of money!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 15:54 (Ref:864172)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow...so now nobody is having any problems that Renault plans a B-team? No cries of foul play or against the spirit?

I really wonder what those people who are "afraid" that Ferrari abuse the Sauber-relationship to disrupt their rivals would think about a full fledged Renault B team.

And i'm curious..what would this "B" team be called?
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:05 (Ref:864187)   #8
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B for Briatore?

But seriously, I would think they would supply them for free. The team will be their lapdogs.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:50 (Ref:864238)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking back to history, I think Minardi is the favourite to be the Renault "B" team (remember that Flavio invested in Minardi in 1997, and was involved in the Minardi engagements Trulli, Alonso and Webber...).
Old 5 Feb 2004, 17:02 (Ref:864249)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if everything is settled and Minardi do get this opprtunity i think its good news for F1.. in the past Minardi has totally been off the pace and they need the break. However i think the tyres will be a stumbling block. Renault will need the B team to be with the same tyre manufacturers at least
Old 6 Feb 2004, 09:17 (Ref:865167)   #11
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I hope they make a B team that is seperate, to bump it up to 11 teams again!!
Old 6 Feb 2004, 10:59 (Ref:865278)   #12
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see the following:

1. The top three finishing teams in any one year are forced to run a B spec Junior team the following year with 2 cars. (They could use the previous years chassis)

2. The Junior team must be run by a privateer with support from the partner team.

3. Junior team must not take on pay drivers, but some sort of scholarship scheme run in conjunction with a lower class formula

This would help increase the grid by at least 6 competitive cars. The top teams can justify the 20-30m expense as they are effectively doubling the TV exposure for their sponsors etc.

Go on FOM & FIA use your brain cells and provide a real spectacle for the world to see.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 11:19 (Ref:865300)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
How is this different to teams running 23 extra cars?
Old 6 Feb 2004, 11:44 (Ref:865320)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If those teams are contracted to Bridgestone for 2005, Renault's only option is to set a team up from scratch (perhaps an existing F3000 squad), but September would be far too late to get everything in place for the following season. 2006 might be the soonest they can do this.

It's a shame when teams lose their independance, and more manufacturer backing comes in, but it would stabilise an existing smaller team or bring a new one in. Squads like Super Nova and Arden have been knocking on the door for quite a while now, and could surely make good use of competitive equipment.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 12:51 (Ref:865376)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Bridgestone were to get thrashed this year and push Ferrari well out of contention I can't see how they would survive - Ferrari would have to do something to get on competitive tyres, and whatever that is (forcing Bridgsetone out?) would radically change the landscape and open up more possibilities such as getting involved with Jordan or Minardi.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 02:29 (Ref:866033)   #16
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was always talk of Goodyear coming back into F1.
Personally i would like to see 4 tyre manufacters... and 15odd teams..... but its not a perfect world is it

-jason