Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Mar 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3222594)   #26
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How's it looking there this morning, I was due to come down to help someone who was testing but just got a call not to bother as testing is cancelled
Old 22 Mar 2013, 08:42 (Ref:3222597)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
No ones offered tea yet. Come on you rotten lot, its cold sitting in my car
Are you still with us Stephen? Fingers crossed for you all. My browser is set on Barcelona weather forecast in 3 weeks!

BTW looking at the timetable I see Masters have invited another organiser/ series to share some track time at the event. Sensible, becoming more common, and hopefully to the benefit of all.

Old 22 Mar 2013, 08:57 (Ref:3222603)   #28
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
And if they salt the track that does old race cars no good at all as I found when they salted Brands once, the nice gold irradite finish on the sump went black!

I never knew that Al.

I always thought that salting at a race track was a no-go because of the damage it would do to all race cars.

Are you sure that it was,nt caused when towing the car on an open trailor to or from the event. This happened to me when i towed my GT40 on an open trailor to Germany some years back. Bad conditions set in and they salted the roads. By the time i washed everything down the damage had been done. Road spray gets in everywhere and carries the salt into parts that you can,t get to easily.

Any one towing on an open trailor at this time of the year really must be very wary of the potential damage.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 09:48 (Ref:3222620)   #29
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Are you still with us Stephen? Fingers crossed for you all. My browser is set on Barcelona weather forecast in 3 weeks!

BTW looking at the timetable I see Masters have invited another organiser/ series to share some track time at the event. Sensible, becoming more common, and hopefully to the benefit of all.

Yes still here. Waiting for announcement at 10am whether they are going to run today.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 10:14 (Ref:3222629)   #30
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Definitely salted Graham I saw them laying it down, however it wasnt a regular race meeting it was one of those Live exhibitors shows they held a few years back.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 10:17 (Ref:3222631)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stephen could you confirm whether the day has been cancelled? thanks
Old 22 Mar 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3222653)   #32
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They were working hard clearing the track this morning and hoping to get Testing going at about 11am.

Old 22 Mar 2013, 11:55 (Ref:3222675)   #33
Christian Devereux
Rookie

United Kingdom
London W4
Christian Devereux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey. They only thing that I could test there is my new Acme Anti Carb Icing Kit....
Old 22 Mar 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3222682)   #34
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
indeed Christian but by opening the circuit they dont have to give refunds.... the difference between Silverstone and MSV
Old 22 Mar 2013, 12:20 (Ref:3222697)   #35
Christian Devereux
Rookie

United Kingdom
London W4
I know, but it makes for nice toilets and things...I was at Brands on Monday and I didn't know until I came off the track, but they had salted the circuit. The car was a real mess. I won't be doing that again.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3222707)   #36
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Devereux View Post
I know, but it makes for nice toilets and things...I was at Brands on Monday and I didn't know until I came off the track, but they had salted the circuit. The car was a real mess. I won't be doing that again.
Which confirms my previous post that MSV DO salt the track, if you take my advise if they salt it forget the money you will loose, dont go out but if you do hose the car off immediately especially the underside. My mate is testing his brand new Ford Maverick V8 (yes well you may ask what! Its a '71 car that took over from the Falcon) at Mallory today and they are out on the circuit, brave man!
Old 22 Mar 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3222708)   #37
Christian Devereux
Rookie

United Kingdom
London W4
Oooh lovely, I've just heard there were 2 gritting lorries going round Oulton Park track this morning...
Old 22 Mar 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3222729)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

dont really know why you would bother going out - apart from seat time the experience is going to tell you very little so you risk damage for no benefit... somewhere like OP is unforgiving at the best of times
Old 22 Mar 2013, 13:16 (Ref:3222744)   #39
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Devereux View Post
Oooh lovely, I've just heard there were 2 gritting lorries going round Oulton Park track this morning...
What sort of times were they putting in?

Have to agree with Al and Simon. I would not take any of my cars out on a salted track!
Old 22 Mar 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3222750)   #40
Christian Devereux
Rookie

United Kingdom
London W4
[QUOTE=Mike Bell;3222744]What sort of times were they putting in?]

I think the tractor still has pole, with the 2 Marussia gritters on the back row.

Tractor said at the interview that he's concerned with chunking if the track dries out....
Old 22 Mar 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3222755)   #41
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
dont really know why you would bother going out - apart from seat time the experience is going to tell you very little so you risk damage for no benefit... somewhere like OP is unforgiving at the best of times
Like.

I wrote a car off there in my early years of racing, I was nudged off in similar conditions (wet and cold not snow) by a certain well known racer on my slowing down lap and went straight on at Old Hall, what really bugged me for the first time ever I was on overall pole in a 1600cc Talbot Sunbeam Ti against big Rover SD1's one of which nudged me off!.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3222760)   #42
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Someone just posted on FB that Donington meeting has been cancelled!
Old 22 Mar 2013, 13:55 (Ref:3222762)   #43
GrahamH
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
GrahamH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That wouldn't surprise me: I'm in Nottingham, and it's been snowing intermittently here all morning. Donington tends to get more bad weather as it's that bit higher up and thus more exposed.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 13:55 (Ref:3222763)   #44
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
PRS RH01 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Marcus Pye has posted the Donington and oulton are off and having just seen the lunch time weather it will be the getting home as well that has to be taken into account . Just think of all the rally boys laughing at us roundy round boy and a bit of snow !
Old 22 Mar 2013, 14:00 (Ref:3222769)   #45
GrahamH
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
GrahamH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there's an opportunity for 4x4 tow vehicle racing.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3222810)   #46
simon drabble
Veteran

so did they actually open the circuit today and if so did anyone actually go out?
Old 22 Mar 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3222835)   #47
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Posted on Facebook:

Quote:
To update - Oulton has had no snow since 10.30, testing has been running since 11am and the track is in good condition. The little snow that has fallen around the edge of the circuit has mostly thawed out.
Of the 2 tractors ploughing the circuit one did have a gritter (salt) on the back but I didn't actually see it spreading. It seemed to be just ploughing.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 16:22 (Ref:3222853)   #48
eigger
Rookie

eigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grideigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
someone has posted on Autosports TNF that the meeting is cancelled
Old 22 Mar 2013, 16:23 (Ref:3222855)   #49
Alan Cox
Rookie

Alan Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eigger View Post
someone has posted on Autosports TNF that the meeting is cancelled
Indeed, the word comes from Phil Hosker at the circuit office.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 16:35 (Ref:3222864)   #50
eigger
Rookie

eigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grideigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cox View Post
Indeed, the word comes from Phil Hosker at the circuit office.
i'll take that as definite confirmation then !