Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Dec 2013, 04:02 (Ref:3349079)   #61
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
More bankruptcies ahead?

http://grandprix247.com/2013/12/29/c...ve-in-new-era/

Bernie and his bankers get fat, everybody who is actually doing the work goes broke!

Last edited by wnut; 31 Dec 2013 at 04:10.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 11:59 (Ref:3349160)   #62
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interesting article. I wonder who the three "shady would be investors" are in the photo? I doubt if they would be happy to described thus!
Old 4 Jan 2014, 17:19 (Ref:3350371)   #63
aridshelter
Rookie

aridshelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
An interesting article. I wonder who the three "shady would be investors" are in the photo? I doubt if they would be happy to described thus!
The one on the left is Mansoor Ijaz, of the Quantum consortium that Lotus were at one point expecting funding from.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3350901)   #64
Integer
Rookie

Integer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridshelter View Post
The one on the left is Mansoor Ijaz, of the Quantum consortium that Lotus were at one point expecting funding from.

The one in the middle is Suhail Al Dhaheri, the boss of the Al Manhal "empire", which is run from a pizza parlour in Utah.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3351291)   #65
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see where Toto Wolff believes that spending by F1's big teams is unsustainable and should be contolled.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112048
Old 7 Jan 2014, 19:34 (Ref:3351339)   #66
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All the right noises are being made, by all the right people. I just pray that this comes to something where the sport is in a much more stable place. Even with so much money being pumped out by CVC, at least the teams will be able to survive. We will still argue what happens is unjust but at least the issue this unjust causes may be partly resolved.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 20:16 (Ref:3351354)   #67
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The other part of the problem is the amount of money the midfield teams get from Bernie. The new agreements mean the smaller teams get proportionally a lot less and this will not really hit until the 2014 season.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 00:43 (Ref:3351420)   #68
JeremySmith
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
If F1 collapses then Bernie will have nothing left to sell...
Old 8 Jan 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3351568)   #69
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lotus are skipping the first test.

That makes no sense, I think that's a worrying sign. Testing is expensive but in the case of a season like the one ahead, absolutely necessary.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 13:29 (Ref:3352030)   #70
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't worry about that yet. Building a new car is not easy. Many teams will have nothing to test. At least in the previous seasons they could have done tests with an old chassis, which is pointless now.
Old 11 Jan 2014, 20:30 (Ref:3352899)   #71
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
"Some of these people are earning millions of dollars a year and they are not prepared to pay for .... With some of them, it's all take and no give. They wouldn't even buy you a cup of coffee" said Bernard C. Eccelstone* at the Brazilian GP 1987.

On that occasion he was talking about the drivers now it could be.... well you know.

*Ref The Turbo Years by Alan Henry page 241
Old 4 Feb 2014, 09:28 (Ref:3363974)   #72
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
There is possibly a new investor looking at buying out CVC to gain control of F1. It is suspected US media billionaire John Malone is interested in buying CVC's shareholding. In Europe he owns 51% of Eurosport, but also owns Virgin Media (UK), Unitymedia (GER), Ziggo (NL) and Telenet (BEL).

If he were to gain control of F1 it could have significant ramifications to how we see it in the media. CVC has been trying to offload its shareholding for some time with the failed float etc. So it would be folly to discount such a move.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/...ula-one-group/
Old 4 Feb 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3364014)   #73
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
There is possibly a new investor looking at buying out CVC to gain control of F1. It is suspected US media billionaire John Malone is interested in buying CVC's shareholding. In Europe he owns 51% of Eurosport, but also owns Virgin Media (UK), Unitymedia (GER), Ziggo (NL) and Telenet (BEL).

If he were to gain control of F1 it could have significant ramifications to how we see it in the media. CVC has been trying to offload its shareholding for some time with the failed float etc. So it would be folly to discount such a move.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/...ula-one-group/

Now Bernie is denying it.

http://www.pitpass.com/50872/Ecclest...ed-F1-takeover
Old 6 Feb 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3364968)   #74
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Even though I am not a fan of Pitpass I like this article by Mike Lawrence. Its where he compares F1 teams to football teams and how soccer players are paid compared to F1 drivers.

http://www.pitpass.com/50876/The-Elastoplast-Technique
Old 6 Feb 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3364989)   #75
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Even though I am not a fan of Pitpass I like this article by Mike Lawrence. Its where he compares F1 teams to football teams and how soccer players are paid compared to F1 drivers.

http://www.pitpass.com/50876/The-Elastoplast-Technique
Ah Yes. Mike has a sharp tongue and an incisive pen.
Good article, and by that I simply mean I agree with his comments.
He's right.
There is something seriously wrong with F1.
The fact that the 100 year rights were sold by the FIA (the sport does not belong to the FIA executive, it belongs to followers, the fans) is a major piece of irresponsible management, and at the very least, incredibly short sighted.

In any professional international sport the governing body are the simply the managers for the public interest. they do it well, and succeed, or they do it badly and fail miserably.