Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Jun 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3738076)   #101
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That's ok, the FIA series continue to flourish. However you have to worry when a UK series for these wonderful cars can't work when glorified banger racing does so well. Depressing!
Trouble is you can buy a year old " banger" and run it for a year ( subject to damage! ) for the cost of GT3 Ferrari!
Old 7 Jun 2017, 01:06 (Ref:3739130)   #102
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
With GT3 cars over half a million and LMP3s under half the price, this isn't a surprise. Richard Dean of United Autosports said it was clear that GT3 was boom and bust. It'd had its boom, and on a national level it was about to have its bust.
History repeating itself? GT3 was the antidote to spiraling GT2 costs or so we were told, until somehow, cost control was lost. GT4 is now the antidote to spiraling GT3 costs until it goes the same way then we'll be presented with GT5 then GT6 and on and on it goes. The real issues never being properly tackled.

Re Snetterton, I enjoyed Littlejohn's brilliant defensive drive in race 1. Also, where was the pace of the Cameron/Griffin Ferrari?
Old 7 Jun 2017, 04:51 (Ref:3739145)   #103
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
History repeating itself? GT3 was the antidote to spiraling GT2 costs or so we were told, until somehow, cost control was lost. GT4 is now the antidote to spiraling GT3 costs until it goes the same way then we'll be presented with GT5 then GT6 and on and on it goes. The real issues never being properly tackled.

Re Snetterton, I enjoyed Littlejohn's brilliant defensive drive in race 1. Also, where was the pace of the Cameron/Griffin Ferrari?
Original GT3 Ferrari 430 €120,000 Ferrari 488 circa €590,000!
Old 7 Jun 2017, 06:49 (Ref:3739167)   #104
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Original GT3 Ferrari 430 €120,000 Ferrari 488 circa €590,000!
The Ferrari was never €120,000 unless you started with a seriously clapped out 2nd hand Challenge car.

Friend of mine did a pretty decent list of available car back in 2006 and had the Ferrari at €180,000 for the 430 Challenge and another €8,000 for the Kessel kit. (Which is of course still merely a third of what the 488 is today, mind you.)

Last edited by Speed-King; 7 Jun 2017 at 06:55.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 13:38 (Ref:3739259)   #105
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
The Ferrari was never €120,000 unless you started with a seriously clapped out 2nd hand Challenge car.

Friend of mine did a pretty decent list of available car back in 2006 and had the Ferrari at €180,000 for the 430 Challenge and another €8,000 for the Kessel kit. (Which is of course still merely a third of what the 488 is today, mind you.)
Sorry my typo first year of GT3 was with a 360 I think
Old 7 Jun 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3739260)   #106
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Sorry my typo first year of GT3 was with a 360 I think
As you were - the power of Google is better than my memory it was indeed a 430 but the first JMB cars were based on Challenge cars and based on a low mileage car stood at £150,000 ready to go which may have been €180,000 euro unlike now when it is about €5
Old 13 Jun 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3740839)   #107
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, from my seat (in race control) I thought the Silverstone race was pretty good although I didn't get to see very much of it.

Did any Tenthers go, and if so, what did you make of it?
Old 13 Jun 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3740844)   #108
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

Did any Tenthers go, and if so, what did you make of it?
Well it's not Top Notch like WEC/ELMS/BLANCPAIN, but still very much worth going to, especially with a Bentley / Aston front row, so very much a British ( national ) series. I thought it was great. Of course I go and watch minor clubbies too, any racing for me is a perfect end to the working week !!! ( bored of racing thread is not for me !!! ).

Only thing I can't really get into nowadays is "Bore-me-la 1"
Old 13 Jun 2017, 20:27 (Ref:3740993)   #109
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least in Race Control you were out of the wind (especially on Saturday) Greem. Another good weekend, and nice to see the Lotus and Toyota (running reliably for once) being allowed to run in an invitation class.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 14:03 (Ref:3741206)   #110
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
At least in Race Control you were out of the wind (especially on Saturday) Greem. Another good weekend, and nice to see the Lotus and Toyota (running reliably for once) being allowed to run in an invitation class.
I was indeed. Unfortunately I injured my knee a couple of weekends before by being a bit daft and forgetting I'm in my late 40s, so felt that jumping off the wall at Maggots was a good thing to do repeatedly over the course of a day. It isn't!

There were several comments during calm moments upstairs as to how well the GT86 was running. We'd all seen them struggle in various guises so to see it being (a) reliable and (b) quick, or more accurately not slow, was a very pleasant surprise.

The Bentley in the Copse wall gave us all a lot to think about, I was glad that wasn't as big an incident as it could have been and equally glad we got it clear without the safety car.

How did you like the bus on Saturday?
Old 14 Jun 2017, 20:04 (Ref:3741366)   #111
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
How did you like the bus on Saturday?
Didn't see it as I was wandering in the paddock. Great bit of PR for the media & sponsors, they just need to have a free draw for spectators to get on board.
Old 6 Aug 2017, 13:10 (Ref:3757711)   #112
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just 10 GT3s this weekend? Yet they want to split the fields next year?? 😴😴
Old 6 Aug 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3757724)   #113
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Just 10 GT3s this weekend? Yet they want to split the fields next year??

One car is out of action for the weekend....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 Aug 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3757752)   #114
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see why they would split it, unless it's to give the GT4s more exposure. But if the grid is growing anyway, is it needed?

I don't think anyone wants to see a stand-alone GT3 race with only 10-12 cars in it.
Old 6 Aug 2017, 22:35 (Ref:3757883)   #115
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't see why they would split it, unless it's to give the GT4s more exposure. But if the grid is growing anyway, is it needed?

I don't think anyone wants to see a stand-alone GT3 race with only 10-12 cars in it.

Don't forget the masses of GT CUP cars that will be flocking to join the GT3 grid..

Old 8 Aug 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3758202)   #116
Bcarr6
Veteran

Small boost for GT3 at Donnington.

JRM will run a GTR GT3 for Charlie Fagg and JRM junior Ben Green

Old 9 Aug 2017, 14:59 (Ref:3758404)   #117
Bcarr6
Veteran

So- what would everyone say would be an acceptable grid size to justify GT3/GTC and GT4 separate races?

I'd be happy with:

16 GT3s, and 4 GT Cup cars

&

24 GT4 cars in a separate race

As I see it, this is a move to allow GT4 to carry on its growth rate.

If GT4 can't hit 24 entries at least on its own then what's the point in being split?

Old 10 Aug 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3758519)   #118
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
An update on the potential of split grids. http://sportscar365.com/sro/british-...s-mixed-views/

Personally i dont see where the extra GT3/GT Cup cars will come from, but if there are enough entries to make it work then i do think it would be beneficial.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 06:29 (Ref:3758546)   #119
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
An update on the potential of split grids. http://sportscar365.com/sro/british-...s-mixed-views/

Personally i dont see where the extra GT3/GT Cup cars will come from, but if there are enough entries to make it work then i do think it would be beneficial.

I honestly think this is based on the thought that there is more GT4 cars to come, and nothing to do with how well or badly GT3 manages

Old 10 Aug 2017, 08:37 (Ref:3758561)   #120
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I am also wondering what they are going to do about the Silver/Silver pairings in GT4. Aaccording to Ratel's press conference at Spa, the only GT4 series to allow Silver/Silver combinations will be the European series, with the regional cups in Britain, France and Central Germany being strictly Pro/Am affairs.

Maybe they could keep the Silver/Silver pairings with the GT3s to prop up that field and have the stand-alone-ish series only for the Pro/Ams? Right now, there's 9 Silver/Silver pairings in GT4, so those guys plus the GT3s would already make a credible field.

If they can find another ten or so Pro/Am teams, a Pro/Am only GT4 Cup series might be viable.

The overall impression that I have, though, is that Ratel once again came up with an overly neat one-size-fits-all plan and now the local promoters are left holding the bag, trying to squeeze their series into a format that really doesn't meet their needs.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 11:52 (Ref:3758602)   #121
Bcarr6
Veteran

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/b...ffort-in-2018/

1 GT3 and 2 GT4 for Beechdean in 2018

Old 15 Aug 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3759553)   #122
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many series is it that SRO have overseen the growth and then downfall of? :P

I'm worried about British GTs GT3 field...
Old 24 Sep 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3769586)   #123
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Oh dear. Has Martin Haven not realised the Nissan is not a points scorer?...
Old 24 Sep 2017, 14:02 (Ref:3769589)   #124
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Martin Haven "didn't see the Lambos hit The Bently" where was he looking????
Old 24 Sep 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3769596)   #125
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Haven just forgot, as he mentioned the contact at the start. He was commentating on his own, so it's a tougher job.

The way the #6 Lambo deliberately turned into, and lent on, the Bentley on the first lap was pretty low. It's pretty clear what they were trying to do. Parfitts pass in the Craner Curves was amazing. That's the kind of pass that wins championships. He was absolutely on it.