Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 19 Jul 2013, 18:56 (Ref:3279471)   #101
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Track Fan View Post
They need more of those, especially down in the area by the fountain that is now blocked off. That is a neat section of track that no-one can even get to anymore.
You know, I completely forgot about the fountain. Might have made a good photo op, must try to remember to get over there next year (presuming I'm back - a good bet, but not certain).

That 35,000 fans figure, not sure where it came from, Honda Indy Toronto by policy doesn't release attendance figures (I'm sure everyone here can guess why not).
Old 23 Jul 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3280906)   #102
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gotta ask the Canadians on this forum, Is it to far to have an event 140 km/ 90 miles away (Mont Tremblant) from Montreal? Here in sweden, It's 128 km to the closest race track from Stockholm and I think thats okay to most of the visitors.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 18:32 (Ref:3280911)   #103
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus666 View Post
Gotta ask the Canadians on this forum, Is it to far to have an event 140 km/ 90 miles away (Mont Tremblant) from Montreal? Here in sweden, It's 128 km to the closest race track from Stockholm and I think thats okay to most of the visitors.
I'd make that drive if I lived in Montreal, for sure. Friends of mine go to Tremblant from Ottawa which is about 170km, or even to Mosport which is >300km. I drive about 80km to Mosport myself, just a quick little trip really.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 01:25 (Ref:3281022)   #104
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It is absolutely not too far at all from Montreal to Mont-Tremblant. Any fan who is passionate about racing will make that trip.

I have been to Mont-Tremblant twice from my home in Kitchener, Ontario (which is about an 8.5 hr trip each way). We went for the 6 hour Grand-Am race in 2005 (which was fantastic) and the 2007 Champ Car race there (which was also fantastic). Tremblant is an amazing circuit. Canada has two absolute gems in Mosport and Mont-Tremblant. Two of the best circuits in North America. I would love to see another major race back at Mont-Tremblant, but unfortunately, I don't see it happening any time soon.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 01:06 (Ref:3290489)   #105
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/indycars-2014-s...rticle/307644/
Old 16 Aug 2013, 06:05 (Ref:3290557)   #106
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moving Fontana to June, to have the triple crown on consecutive months? Bullshit! A 500 mile race should end the season and Fontana fitted perfectly well. Why change something that runs more or less fine? I doubt that it'll change attendance numbers or TV ratings. At least Pocono gets increased to 500 miles.
As for the race at the IMS road course: Well, why not. At least they're trying to squeeze out as much as possible from the speedway. It also hasn't been done before, to race the roval first, followed by the real oval. Bringing in USCR should also help.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3290595)   #107
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't want to see the Milwaukee Mile go, it's an iconic race.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 08:24 (Ref:3290600)   #108
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like the thought of the IndyCar season finishing as early as the beginning of September because there are 2 whole months of raceable weather after that. From my European perspective, an offseason which ranges from September to the end of February is about as foolish as having the season end in May. We all know IndyCar has tried that before, too, also for no proper reason whatsoever, I must add. But the report from the Boston Consulting Group must have been so costly that the powers that be seem to have to do at least something with its results to justify the expense. The report also suggested staging a race in Boston, Massachusetts. Why didn't they try that instead?

I had hoped for at least Road America as an addition and less double-headers. They should at least have waited if Houston's Reliant Park can provide good racing until they sign it on to another double header for next year. That is like taking an unnecessary risk. And have they even considered a return to Sparta, Kentucky?

I have to say this rumor report on the schedule for next season is quite bewildering.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 08:39 (Ref:3290607)   #109
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
bewildering.
That word just about sums it up for me.

Who is advising them that having a colossal off-season and then a silly run of week on week races is the way to go? I have heard it bandied round that there is no point trying to go 'up against' football in terms of TV ratings. Are they really the same people watching both???

If they're idea of cutting costs to make the crew guys redundant for half the year then why not just knock the whole series on the head and just have a 500.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 12:04 (Ref:3290670)   #110
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Indianapolis road course in early May? Houston in August? Fontana in June? This guy is totally insane.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 14:54 (Ref:3290710)   #111
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I knew they couldn't resist but scratch that Indy road course itch.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3290719)   #112
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes it's somewhat close, nearly 2 hours driving depending on where you start from... But Tremblant is so full of rich people that a) Barely any real racing takes place there anymore because of noise restrictions and environmental issues. The track is next the a lake, near the bottom of the mountain. Million dollar condos and chalets are plentiful. I'm not even sure they still hold an Historics weekend. Last time I went Jacques Villeneuve was driving a McLaren F1 GTR and there must have been a few thousands of us - almost more entrants than spectators. b) There are no big hotels and definitely no cheap ones because, once again, the place is a hideout for rich dudes.

Edit: wonderful wonderful track though. I've been to Spa after going to Tremblant a few times and the place is almost as good as the Belgian track, but half the size and not anywhere near F1-ready.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3290721)   #113
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
They probably want the three 500-milers to be in that ABC broadcast block. However, Los Angeles in June and Houston in August make about as much sense as F1 at Phoenix in June and Dallas in July. Hell, they moved the Fontana race a month LATER, to October, so that it wouldn't be so damn hot for this year's race.

If they compact the schedule, there won't be room to add anything new, like Road America. Also, having all these back-to-back race weekends is a great way to wipe out some of the smaller teams. (The series needs fewer entries like it needs another hole in the head.)

Whoever suggested the Indianapolis roval in the first place should be shot! (I don't say that very often, but this is just monumentally stupid.)

As to Boston, I think there was a proposal a while back for a street circuit in Foxboro.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 15:48 (Ref:3290723)   #114
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The IMS road course race will be attended by the Old, dying Wizards of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and that's it, 100 Bucks says the E Stand will be packed and everything else will be 90% empty.

Fontana in June is comical.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3290725)   #115
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
I've not been to Houston but I've known people who live there... verrrrrry hot and humid in August is what I hear.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 17:16 (Ref:3290743)   #116
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, check out this article for news about the Indy road course.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109296
Old 16 Aug 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3290778)   #117
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
I've not been to Houston but I've known people who live there... verrrrrry hot and humid in August is what I hear.
Houston in summer is just a nasty place, generally, imagine somewhere like Trinidad but in an urban setting.

The smell there is horrendous in summer and it's very hot and very sticky, not that the city is any good (no offense to it's inhabitants) at any time of the year but summer brings out it's worst.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3290807)   #118
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
I know Dallas and Houston are separated by roughly 240 miles but does anyone remember the 1984 Dallas Grand Prix? It was held on July 8, in temperatures over 100 °(38 °C) with the track breaking up and Nigel Mansell collapsing after pushing his Lotus over the start/finish line because he ran out of fuel.

Houston in August will be much worse.

The US Grand Prix is held in November, precisely because of the heat in summer. It does beggar belief, where people get some of their ideas from in IndyCar.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 16 Aug 2013 at 21:26.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3290815)   #119
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I kind of referred to the Dallas Grand Prix in my above post, as well as F1 going to Phoenix in 1989 in June!

Some of this stuff is just idiotic, plain and simple.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3290822)   #120
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Houston in summer is just a nasty place, generally, imagine somewhere like Trinidad but in an urban setting.

The smell there is horrendous in summer and it's very hot and very sticky, not that the city is any good (no offense to it's inhabitants) at any time of the year but summer brings out it's worst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I know Dallas and Houston are separated by roughly 240 miles but does anyone remember the 1984 Dallas Grand Prix? It was held on July 8, in temperatures over 100 °(38 °C) with the track breaking up and Nigel Mansell collapsing after pushing his Lotus over the start/finish line because he ran out of fuel.

Houston in August will be much worse.

The US Grand Prix is held in November, precisely because of the heat in summer. It does beggar belief, where people get some of their ideas from in IndyCar.
Northeast Houston...

Yeah, Houston's not very nice. Neither is Dallas to tell you the truth (and I live there!). There are very nice neighborhoods with plenty of woods and old forests but the "cookie-cutter" urban sprawl is just menacing. As far as air quality, I check it about every day. It's sad to say that Houston/Brazoria and DFW are steadily some of the worst in the nation. And as far as temperature, 115+ degrees (when you're driving on LBJ highway) is not unheard of in Dallas. Houston I think is a bit cooler but the humidity is more oppressive.

A bad day in Dallas is 110 degrees (F), about 60% humidity, and smog so bad you can't see Downtown from 10 miles away. My vantage point is the intersection between Dallas North Tollway and LBJ Freeway and it is so very depressing.

I wasn't born when the 1984 Dallas GP was happening. But looking back at some footage and info, it seemed like a nightmare of a race. My dad went to it and recalls drivers passing out and large bundles of asphalt peeling off and forming large berms, almost like a dirt oval racetrack. Talk about "clag"...

I think it was in Fair Park, which is now better known as "the worst of the Dallas ghettos"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Yeah, I kind of referred to the Dallas Grand Prix in my above post, as well as F1 going to Phoenix in 1989 in June!

Some of this stuff is just idiotic, plain and simple.
I would like to get ahold of the people who planned the Dallas GP and slap the sense into 'em. At least Houston is in October, not July. July, August, and September should be off limits for any racing in Texas. I don't know what the WEC was thinking when planning the September 22 race at COTA. And I don't know quite what I'm thinking even trying to go down there and bake in 110 degrees...
Old 17 Aug 2013, 05:32 (Ref:3290884)   #121
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post

It's absolutely miserable in August. If that's when they want to have the race they must be out of their mind.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 05:35 (Ref:3290885)   #122
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
By late September it usually slacks off a bit in Texas, not always, but it usually backs down from the worst of summer.

Every time I think these guys can't make any worse decisions they always top themselves.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3290928)   #123
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They haven't made any decisions yet, have they?
Old 17 Aug 2013, 16:27 (Ref:3291024)   #124
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With IndyCar (and its predecessors) having quite a history in taking over events which Formula 1 has left behind in the Americas (such as Long Beach, Watkins Glen, the Caesar's Palace Grand Prix, the Mexican GP at Hermanos Rodriguez and even Montreal once), it should not be a surprise to anybody they now make an effort to take over the USGP event at their home turf in Speedway, Indiana.

To have the road course at the beginning of May should give some value back to the Month Of May after it had been trimmed down to solely two weeks of May a few years ago. There might even be some kind of a tradition developing for this event, unless of course, they run it only with 6 cars ;-) so the "United States Grand Prix of IndyCar" is welcomed very much by this spectator.

But to call the season's end by Labor Day, 3rd of September, is a hideous idea.
I loved to watch US open wheel races back in the 90s in October, when the 16 race F1 calendar was already over. That's usually the time when Laguna Seca was held. Formula 1 even took over the idea of a longer running season from IndyCar.
So why should IndyCar now give it up? Just because they want to try something different? There just is no point in cancelling dates of an established race such as Baltimore and calling off Fontana for the sake of making space in October will only create a slot in the calendar for Laguna Seca once IndyCar finds out they have shot themselves in the foot with their shortened schedule.

So if you want to have the Grand Prix of Monterey, CA, back (and maybe Motegi and Surfers Paradise, too), you should be all for shortening the 2014 calendar to the beginning of September because it won't work out and it will create space at the end of the season for years to come (!) which could be filled with those events then.

Maybe somebody should tell this to Bruton Smith, owner of Sonoma ...
Old 17 Aug 2013, 16:57 (Ref:3291036)   #125
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
By late September it usually slacks off a bit in Texas, not always, but it usually backs down from the worst of summer.

Every time I think these guys can't make any worse decisions they always top themselves.
What is "it"? The smog or the heat?