Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Apr 2007, 05:52 (Ref:1896807)   #26
chrisgram
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
chrisgram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll try and load a photo but I'm better with nuts and bolts....I can see where they go. I suspect this is(was!) one of the TWR Vitesse's....see centre locks.
...........................Ready to load but how do I do it?
Old 21 Apr 2007, 06:39 (Ref:1896823)   #27
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Chris,

I'm pretty sure you'll have to use another website to actually host the image, try www.imageshack.us

I've not used it for a while, but I think you then navigate to your photo on your PC, select size of image required, click 'host' or 'upload', and then you get taken to another page with a series of url links. It's just a case of finding the right one that works on forums.

Good luck.

Last edited by MG Rover Sport; 21 Apr 2007 at 06:42.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 20:00 (Ref:1897225)   #28
chrisgram
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
FJO450Y on a trailer in a very sad state

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tmp1088cr9.jpg
Old 21 Apr 2007, 20:26 (Ref:1897244)   #29
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Thanks Chris - much appreciated.

Although having now seen the image, I must admit that I had seen it before somewhere. Thanks all the same for bringing it to this thread though.

You can clearly see the nearside rear passenger door took the brunt of the impact, making it impossible to repair in the two weeks to the Manx Rally, hence a new donor car was sourced as stated above.

I wonder how the tree was after the impact?
Old 22 Apr 2007, 06:30 (Ref:1897448)   #30
chrisgram
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
I'm not sure if this was the one that hit a tree. i.e., the roof line doesn't reflect a tree. I've recently seen a colour shot of one which hit a tree head on. It's somwhere on the web but must see if I can find it. A379VUK was the Sandvik. I also have a photos of B565AOX (Computervision) which Pond drove in the Ulster Rally 1985, GJW584W which was BL Motorsport's 1st Gp2 Rally Car, and a distant shot of A377YUK. Not sure what the connection to TWR is but given they appear to all be BL cars, TWR's involvement is highly likely. Perhaps they have 'interesting chassis nos' and could help ID the missing numbers.
Old 22 Apr 2007, 21:13 (Ref:1897996)   #31
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
You're probably quite right about it not being a tree - maybe it was a wall instead? Is this the image you are referring to...

Old 22 Apr 2007, 22:31 (Ref:1898042)   #32
chrisgram
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
Yes, that's it.
Old 17 May 2007, 19:18 (Ref:1915560)   #33
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Going back to the rallycars, the 'Photo Finish' feature in this week's Autosport features a pic of Tony Pond's infamous first-stage exit from the 84 RAC in A478WOE. Apparently, according to co-driver Rob Arthur, it was all down to the tyres...

Readying themselves for the first stage of the event, Arthur noticed the TWR mechanics fitting strange Dunlop rubber. It became apparent that Pond's preferred slick was nowhere to be seen. No matter, this was a super sticky qualifier This would work.
"Not far after the start there were some hairpins" says Arthur "These tyres had gone off after those....TP turned into a right-hander and the tyres did nothing. Next thing we were on the grass and into a tree"

(Autosport 17/5/2007)
Old 17 May 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1915690)   #34
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Yeah I noticed that as well KA - brought back a few memories of the ****ing TV footage I can tell you!

Believe it or not, I too had found that page Chris, but hadn't yet got around to posting anything. I don't think it's a current race car, more a track day car. I seem to recall seeing something about it having been rebuilt / prepared by Ken Clarke recently as well.

Anybody fancy checking back through this thread?

Last edited by MG Rover Sport; 17 May 2007 at 22:23.
Old 22 May 2007, 20:34 (Ref:1919078)   #35
chrisgram
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
Here's an sad but interesting photo. I believe Tony Pond in A478MOE, which I believe was an early car. http://www.hisparally.com/foto.php?id=7938
Old 23 May 2007, 00:35 (Ref:1919173)   #36
chrisgram
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgram
Here's an sad but interesting photo. I believe Tony Pond in A478MOE, which I believe was an early car. http://www.hisparally.com/foto.php?id=7938
Oops, A478WOE, as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Old 24 May 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1920133)   #37
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
More rally pics- Duncan Holder's A379VUK in action during 2002/3- as described earlier in the thread, an ex-rallysprint car, rallied in the Middle East, then sold to Del Lines, who rebuilt it around an ex-Bastos touring car shell after a crash in the late 80's.

http://www.adriansslotcarworld.co.uk/DRover.htm
Old 2 Jul 2007, 21:47 (Ref:1952872)   #38
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Rover Sport
Sorry KA - my post was a little confusing I must admit! What I meant to say was that there were other model manufacturers that also made models of touring car Rover SD1s - not Heller, who only made this one touring car.

Keeping this thread off topic (apologies to all moderators!) Robustelli were the nicest of all models. This Italian company produced what they called transkits - basically a way of 'trans'forming a model 'kit' from a road car to a racing car.

You used the body of a Heller 1/43rd scale plastic kit, and added a great deal of cast white metal / photo etch items, and along with the full racing decals you could have a variety of liveries including Sanyo, Hepolite, Fleet, Marlboro, Gitanes, Bastos, Mobil, ICS, etc - even a Computervision rally car!

Apologies again for taking the thread off topic - but I didn't start it - KA did!
No worries- think I've seen some of the Robustelli transkits around- I've recently seen some pics of a Computervision rallycar (Marc Duez, Ypres 85 I think?) which might be one of theirs. I believe there's a 1/43 diecast of the German Kurt Thiim car due this year (Minichamps?) and I remember there being some nice 1/43 white metal handbuilt models available some years ago of several of the TWR cars.

Better get the thread back on topic before the mods notice....
Old 2 Jul 2007, 23:50 (Ref:1952947)   #39
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
KA - You are spot on regarding the models you mention, including the fact that Kurt Thim's car is due out shortly through Minichamps. There's no reason why they can't make more - all they'd require is new artwork for each respective livery.

That's it - back on topic I promise...

I noticed there were a couple of rallying Rover Vitesse black 'n' white photos available on ebay the other week, and wondered if you'd seen them?

(Above) Tom Walkinshaw / John Davenport understeering in FJO450Y on the 1983 Criterium Lucien Bianchi Rallye in Belgium - retired due to accident!

(Above) Tony Pond / Rob Arthur airborne in B564AOX on their way to 3rd Overall & Winner of Group A on the 1984 Rothmans Manx International Rally
Old 3 Jul 2007, 03:48 (Ref:1953013)   #40
chrisgram
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
Just found this on http://www.xpower-racing.com/forum/s...?t=3666&page=2
Someone knows a bit here-

Rover Vitesse Group A rally car - Reg Nº A480 WOE

Originally 1 of 3 identical cars prepared by Austin Rover Motorsport, Cowley for the 1984 Austin Rover Rallysprint at Donington on 27 October 2004. Unsure which drivers actually drove this car on the day as the Reg Nºs were covered over with individual sponsor stickers, however they could have been Nigel Mansell, Michelle Mouton, Martin Brundle, Marc Duez, Jimmy McRae, Keke Rosberg, Per Eklund, or John Watson. The rally stage was won by Jimmy McRae, but the overall rallysprint winner was Marc Duez.

On 19 December 1984 '480' was sold to Gooding Investments, Cardiff. The car was then rebuilt over the 1984 / 85 winter into full Group A rally specification by Bob Brain Developments, Monmouth, Gwent for Russell Gooding to rally during the 1985 rally season.

Debuted on the 1985 Wyedean Stages Rally on 2 February. Partnered by Hywel Thomas, and running at Nº 6, '480' suffered clutch problems on Stage 1 which dropped them down the leaderboard to 43rd Overall. They climbed back up to finish the event 13th Overall.

'480' then competed on selected rounds of the 1985 FIA Group A Challenge consisting of...

Hankiralli, Finland (23 / 24 February)
RETIRED - Accident!

Costa Blanca RACE Rally, Spain (22 - 24 March)
Nº21 - Rob Arthur co-drove
RETIRED - Tore off rear suspension, but were 1st in Group A, just outside Top 10 after the 1st Leg of the rally.

Martini Costa Smeralda Rally, Italy (17 - 19 April)
Nº 15 - Bryan Thomas co-drove
9th Overall and 3rd in Group A

Zlatni - Piassatzi, Bulgaria (11 - 13 May)
Rob Arthur co-drove
6th Overall and 2nd in Group A
Did not finish any other Group A Challenge rounds!

South Swedish Rally, Sweden (15 - 19 May)
DID NOT ENTER!

Ypres 24 Hour Rally, Belgium (28 - 30 June)
RETIRED - Back axle on Stage 2.

Hunsruck Rally, Germany (11 - 13 July)
RETIRED - Stage 1?

Halkidikis Rally, Greece (26 - 29 August)
Rob Arthur co-drove
RETIRED - Accident on Stage 3.

Tudor Webasto Manx Rally, IOM (11 - 14 September)
Stuart Harrold co-drove

Cyprus Rally, Cyprus (20 - 22 September)
Unknown whether entered or not?

Tour de France, France (21 - 24 September)

Audi Sport National Rally, UK (19 October)
Nº 16 - John Daniels co-drove.
12th Overall and 4th in Group A

Algarve Rallye, France (31 October - 2 November)

Finished 4th in 1985 FIA Group A Challenge

Lombard RAC Rally, UK (24 - 28 November)
Nº 57 - Stuart Harrold co-drove
RETIRED - Accident on Stage 40, but were lying 19th Overall and leading class when they slid off on sheet ice.

Fully rebuilt by Bob Brain Developments, Monmouth, Gwent and placed in storage for 7 years. Russell Gooding requested that '480' be advertised For Sale.

On 2 February 1993 '480' was sold to Jon Vicker of Woodmancote Garage, Dursley, Gloucestershire. Never used by him.

On 5 May 1993 '480' was sold to Jeff Williamson, Retford, Nottinghamshire as a part exchange for a Triumph TR8 that Jon Vicker was interested in.

Demonstrated on the 199_ Hunsruck Rally as part of a Reinhard Klein historic rally demonstration by Jeff Williamson / Jacques Williamson at Nº H8.

On static display at the 199_ Rally Car Day at Hatton Country World, near Warwick, Warwickshire.

Advertised For Sale extensively by Jeff Williamson, Retford, Nottinghamshire.

On 22 February 1997 '480' was sold to Frode Saltvedt, and exported to Norway. Not known what he used the car for.

In April 2007 '480' was acquired by the current owner and re-imported back into the United Kingdom.

If I've got anything wrong mate, please do let me know
Old 3 Jul 2007, 06:04 (Ref:1953039)   #41
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Thanks Chris - you're far too kind!

Captain Chaos is my alter ego - 'Him' likes to show off now and then!
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:27 (Ref:1999103)   #42
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
This coverage of the 1985 Circuit od Ireland Rally shows footage of Tony Pond in the Group A Rover:
http://www.motorsportmad.com/view/20...-ireland-rally
Old 29 Mar 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2164487)   #43
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
corliss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paris-Dakar

Another one to scatch your heads over,

First Paris Dakar, French entered SD1, no info on driver or how it fared,
anyone know anything about it??

Skip
Old 29 Mar 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2164634)   #44
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corliss
Another one to scatch your heads over,

First Paris Dakar, French entered SD1, no info on driver or how it fared,
anyone know anything about it??

Skip
now that's a real mystery...As I remember, wasn't there some intention of competing on some kind of marathon event behind the original developments of the SD1 for rallying- wonder if there was any crossover from that? I'm tempted to speculate whether there was any involvement with Rene Metge- didn't he do Dakar several times, Range Rovers come to mind....?
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2165593)   #45
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
corliss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
now that's a real mystery...As I remember, wasn't there some intention of competing on some kind of marathon event behind the original developments of the SD1 for rallying- wonder if there was any crossover from that? I'm tempted to speculate whether there was any involvement with Rene Metge- didn't he do Dakar several times, Range Rovers come to mind....?
I have backtracked through my research and found that this photo was actually of the the young lad, it was taken in the Place De La Concorde, Paris, 1984. The car was incidental, but historically interesting as I can find no further information. studying the registration plate it is in the "french" style but not in a sequence I have seen on french registrations, so maybe not a french entry? Having said that there has been a Rover advertised recently claiming to be an ex factory car built for long distance marathons, it is a 2 door!! but underbonnet shots look remarkedly like the early factory cars, also has the roof air vents used by factory. Also in 1991 I was offered for sale an ex factory rally car I have never heard of since, it was built by BL for the Himalaya rally and carried the names of 3 ladies who`s names I cannot remember, it had a 4.2ltr engine on 4 sidedraught webers, Dry sumped, a ZF box and Jag 4HA axle, 3 fuel tanks, twin rear shocks, still covered in dust and mud, exactly as rallied, and if I remember correctly painted in Daily Mirror colours, Red/White. Definately a genuine "works" car. It was in a dealers shed somewhere near Waltham Abbey, he also had lots of factory 6R4 stuff including a very rare 2.5 rover based v6 engine ( the original cut down V8 ) I was prepping a circuit race car so did not bother with it, I could kick myself!

Obviously this car has changed over the years, but was it really a "factory" car? seller claims it was one of a couple built by BL Motorsport for rally raids, even has roof vents seen on French car.

Skip
Old 31 Mar 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2166114)   #46
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corliss
I have backtracked through my research and found that this photo was actually of the the young lad, it was taken in the Place De La Concorde, Paris, 1984. The car was incidental, but historically interesting as I can find no further information. studying the registration plate it is in the "french" style but not in a sequence I have seen on french registrations, so maybe not a french entry? Having said that there has been a Rover advertised recently claiming to be an ex factory car built for long distance marathons, it is a 2 door!! but underbonnet shots look remarkedly like the early factory cars, also has the roof air vents used by factory. Also in 1991 I was offered for sale an ex factory rally car I have never heard of since, it was built by BL for the Himalaya rally and carried the names of 3 ladies who`s names I cannot remember, it had a 4.2ltr engine on 4 sidedraught webers, Dry sumped, a ZF box and Jag 4HA axle, 3 fuel tanks, twin rear shocks, still covered in dust and mud, exactly as rallied, and if I remember correctly painted in Daily Mirror colours, Red/White. Definately a genuine "works" car. It was in a dealers shed somewhere near Waltham Abbey, he also had lots of factory 6R4 stuff including a very rare 2.5 rover based v6 engine ( the original cut down V8 ) I was prepping a circuit race car so did not bother with it, I could kick myself!

Obviously this car has changed over the years, but was it really a "factory" car? seller claims it was one of a couple built by BL Motorsport for rally raids, even has roof vents seen on French car.

Skip
It's not the ex-Ken Wood 'Golden Wonder' car by any chance?

The registration number is wrong (Wood's car was OOC272X), but we know how easily those get changed- the 'OOC' plate on the Wood car wasn't the original number either; apparently it was originally GJW584W, one of the original rally development cars debuted by Tony Pond in a TV Rallysprint event around 1982....

It's discussed several times back in the thread:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=81326&page=19

After Wood moved on to a 6R4 in 1985/6, the car was sold on and one of the subsequent owners, Duncan Jaffray apparently shortened it

More on the early SD1 rally development from a magazine article- the car in the pics might be 'GJW'/'OOC'. I think the original intention was for them to run on some kind of Marathon/Raid event that never happened- there are references in the article to Paris-Peking:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/william.../wildrover.htm

The 'Himalayan' car sounds like it might be one of the cars campaigned on the Himalayan event by Philip Young in the late 70's/early 80's- these included an ex-Archbishop of Canterbury Morris Minor, ex-works Healey 3000 and TR8, a Skoda 130LR, possibly a Range Rover and I'm pretty sure an SD1.

At the time he was writing for the now-defunct 'Sporting Cars' magazine (lasted until about 1984/5?), and most of them were featured in the magazine.

Apart from the dark blue Minor, most were red and white, often with Unipart backing- (Corgi did 1/43 models of the Minor and Healey a few years back)

The Healey and possibly the TR8 used to be in the musuem at Gaydon, and I've got a vague memory of the Minor ending up at Beaulieu. Don't know about the others.

The Healey and TR8 were definitely former works cars, I don't know about the Rover.

Last edited by KA; 31 Mar 2008 at 12:27.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 19:32 (Ref:2166396)   #47
ejefi
Rookie

ejefi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty sure that the shortened car on E-bay is this one:-

so not a factory car but bits of Ken Woods ex Paris Peking car

Last edited by ejefi; 31 Mar 2008 at 19:39.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 21:04 (Ref:2166479)   #48
KA
Veteran

That definitely looks like the beast in question! I hadn't realised that Jaffray had built the shortened car as a replacement after writing off the ex-Wood chassis- Thanks for posting that.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2166823)   #49
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the further developments and for branching the thread into other areas previously unknown to lots of us I'd guess!

BTW, is it me or does the side view of the car on page 60 of the article look like a Starion at first glance?!!!!
Old 1 Apr 2008, 11:26 (Ref:2166886)   #50
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
BTW, is it me or does the side view of the car on page 60 of the article look like a Starion at first glance?!!!!
Yeah, I though that too, looks horrible!!

I found a photo of the two "bastos" like coloured cars together going though Graham Hill Bend in the Thundersaloon video clip; shall I post it?