Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Mar 2001, 16:02 (Ref:75263)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

What do you think of womens in Formule 1 ?
would they drive as good like Schumacher, verstappen, Gene ?
would there be more crashes ?
ore anything else please tell use your opinion about it

I think myself it would be great but wierd the first year.
more crashes i dont think so, a women is a good and save driver.
womens could recieve faster money from sponserschips they all say and i think they do it with there female charmes.
so would Jenson, schumacher, hakinnen beware of them ?

~~Renaultbel~~
Old 29 Mar 2001, 16:10 (Ref:75264)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ive said it before and I will say it again..formula One is for both sexes no matter what people might think or say...if a women is good enough then she deserves the chance to race in F1..but the problem is that because she is a women she will be noticed that little bit more and her results will have to be even better than most of the second class drivers that manage a F1 drive..if she consistantly finishes just outside of the points in f3000 or F3 then people will say she doesnt deserve to be in F1 ..but a man who does the same may slot into F1 with no questions asked.

bring em on I say ..if they are good enough.
Old 29 Mar 2001, 16:15 (Ref:75265)   #3
papabaz
Rookie

papabaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have been a few (I think 2 or 3) female drivers in F1, but they haven't really done that well. I don't know why. In Dutch national races there are quite a few women racing for the lead every few weeks.
I think you're right about the sponsorship. Everything that's new attracts a lot of attention, which will attract sponsors. But I don't think they're automatically more charming than the male drivers.
For the rest I don't think there will be any difference from any new male driver, except maybe for the pressure and attention they will be under.
Old 29 Mar 2001, 16:55 (Ref:75268)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The establishment in F1 will never allow a woman to be ultimately competitive in F1. There are too many out there that still revere auto racig as a macho sport and has no room for women, no matter their skill level.

Obviously women can compete at high levels, witness Shirley Muldowney, Angelle Savoie (nee Seeling), Shelley Anderson, Katja Poentsgen, Lyn St. James, Desiree Wilson, and a myriad of others. Muldowney, Savoie, and Poenstgen have won championships over male racers. There is no shame, they earned and deserve to admired as champions. But, the view of the overlords of motor racing is that women need to be on the pitside wringing their hands and charting laps for their male counterparts. Sure this job needs to be done, but not at the expense of a racing career.
Old 29 Mar 2001, 18:58 (Ref:75287)   #5
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sponsors:

Revlon, Gucci, Vogue, "Victoria's Secret" ... It'll be interesting.
Old 29 Mar 2001, 19:18 (Ref:75293)   #6
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Women just don't(usualy) have the fysical power to drive F1 at top level, powersteer has made it easier, but next year that wil be banned. It will be very hard for a woman to get enough neck and arm muscles to drive a F1 car for 300 kilometers, even men have to train constantly to get that fit.
Old 29 Mar 2001, 19:26 (Ref:75295)   #7
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be really cool to see a female driver in F1. Think how much fame it would bring to whoever the lucky girl ended up being, sooo many sponsers!!
I agree F1 has been always looked at a macho sport but times are changing and there are a lot more female motorsport fans than there used to be (it has been reported that 40% of NASCAR viewers are female thus I can assume the numbers are also increasing for F1). And if there are more fans there will be more women that will dream of entering the sport and more that will strive to get there. It is only a matter of time before we see a female F1 driver I believe. However when the first woman does get there can you imaging how much pressure her male teammate will feel? It will be great and I can't wait to see it!
Old 29 Mar 2001, 20:54 (Ref:75318)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You are right about the upper body muscular development required to pilot today's F1 cars, but that does not mean it cannot or should not change. There are several women competitors in 500 mile NASCAR sanctioned events driving three times heavier cars with powered worm-and-sector-gear steering boxes like those used in big trucks and dealing with nearly constant 1.5x g-loading on superspeedways. It can be done by focussed and well-trained females.
Old 29 Mar 2001, 23:36 (Ref:75347)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As soon as they get all the remote control options on the cars so even a monkey can drive them (although Murray says perhaps the monkey wouldn't be the fastest driver!) there may be some "girls" in F1 - IF they have a large bundle of sponsor money.

As I have said before, I think it would be a mistake to take women into F1. It would ruin the mystique, for one thing; it would inevitably "dummy down" the level of racing, which is pitiful enough as it is; the first "girl" who gets punted off will go crying to the stewards that the guy who punted her is sexist and it's harrassment ... and she will win the day ... she'll pose draped over the car in her underwear (not her Nomex, needless to say, but Victoria's Secret type lace stuff) and all her publicity pictures will have a sexual angle to them ... it would be a disaster.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 07:05 (Ref:75389)   #10
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But there are successful female racers in other forms of racing, so you never know. Take a look at Sarah Fisher, for instance, she's only 19 and allready racing at a semi-top level in the IRL. I wouldn't be surprised if she eventually ended up in Cart.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 10:20 (Ref:75396)   #11
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't give them much of a chance. De Fillipis, Wilson and Lombardi aside, they have a different psyche to men and the build, as noted, works against them if power steering goes.

The g-loadings are enormous, more so than in IRL or CART, but then the Venezuelan Milka Duno reckons she's up to it and is running the Spanish openwheeler series this year, which has aerodynamics up there with F1... let's see how she goes.

Vic Elford is coaching her, but I think he's on an armchair ride to 'milka' as much of her husband's money as he can out of the project...

Stirling Moss ran a test with Pat, his sister, many years ago. He found she, a really top-flight rally competitor at the time, lacked the final edge needed to be really competitive... you can read of this in All But My Life if you like...
Attached Thumbnails
milka.jpg  

Last edited by Ray Bell; 30 Mar 2001 at 10:22.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 10:29 (Ref:75397)   #12
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure its possible, and I'dlike to see it happen. I'm just a bit supprised that if it was going to, that it hasn't yet.

One more example of a lady who had a lot of talent was the british pre war racer Kaye Don, and another who may make the grade is Danica Patrick, 2nd in the Formula Ford Festival last year. Here's hoping.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 11:33 (Ref:75414)   #13
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Sophie Verstappen was Belgian kart champion(twice, and not even a woman's championship), so maybe she can replace Bernoldi as Jos' teammate??(she was also he teammate in karting).
Old 30 Mar 2001, 12:18 (Ref:75422)   #14
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and Divina Gallica... wasn't she in it too?
Old 30 Mar 2001, 13:59 (Ref:75437)   #15
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think women are good enough to get a F1 seat. The problem is that not everybody wants to see a girl driving a car instead of a man. There are other problems like sponsorship. There are not many companies willing to give money to a lady for driving in a series like F1, that demands a lot of money. I think people involved in racing still don´t give women the chance to try and race, but if this changes I think there will be great female drivers. At least better than a few current F1 drivers.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 14:13 (Ref:75445)   #16
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal
... the british pre war racer Kaye Don, ...
Sorry, I didn't know about her when I chose my nickname.

Don K.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 15:06 (Ref:75456)   #17
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Women were and still are possible in Formula One. In the end it is a personal wish of Bernie Ecclestone to have a woman in F1 as soon as possible. And we all know...when Bernie wisher dreams can come true...lol
But honestly I don't know any woman with the skills to drive io drive in the F1 within the next few seasons. But I heared of some talented ladies who could have a chance someday...we'll see.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 15:09 (Ref:75459)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Women are competing in sports cars, although not at the top levels, and doing very well. I think they should stick to that.

I like Sarah Fisher and think she's got the right attitude and she looks to be quick - but it remains to be seen if anyone will sponsor her when Casey Mears et al. who have famous relatives can't get sponsorship. And she is essentially nobody.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 15:31 (Ref:75463)   #19
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When tobacco money disappear, F1 will start its new life. Even todays F1 is not the "macho" sport, over the course of the years it's becomming more unisex. Several decades ago it was impossible to imaginate women boxing, raising weight or thowing disk. Today it's normal practice. So F1 will change too,if the target audience is ready for it.

Who wants to watch women in F1:
They won't look like photomodels in order to stand all tears and bears of super speed and G-forces.
Old 31 Mar 2001, 08:07 (Ref:75660)   #20
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But what with the womans that get pregnent are they still get ready to race again ? ore are they going to chose for there kid ?
Old 31 Mar 2001, 10:06 (Ref:75668)   #21
papabaz
Rookie

papabaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if a female driver planned to get pregnant and choose not to continue her racing career after that, she wouldn't try to get an F1 drive...

Last edited by papabaz; 31 Mar 2001 at 10:07.
Old 31 Mar 2001, 10:10 (Ref:75670)   #22
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal

One more example of a lady who had a lot of talent was the british pre war racer Kaye Don....

Oooops! Sorry, Marshal chap, but you've got your Kay(e)'s muddled.

Kay Petre was the pre-war racer, and genuinely one of the very best she was, too. So good, in fact, that she had a works drive in the Austin 750cc single-seater. Sadly she was running the Austin when Reg Parnell involved her in one of his accidents and ended her career.

Kaye Don, on the other hand, was a chap. Winner of the Tourist Trophy in 1928, pilot of the Sunbeam LSR car, and water speed record contender as well, I think. His career ended when a practice accident at Newtownards claimed the life of his riding mechanic, and there was a "death by dangerous driving" charge levelled against him.
Old 31 Mar 2001, 20:02 (Ref:75789)   #23
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Desiree Wilson is the only woman to have won a race for Formula 1 cars. True, it was in the Aurora championship, but she beat drivers with Grand Prix experience. Her car, predictably, was in in scrutineering all night after the race where it was thoroughly examined by many other competitors and officials who were determined to find something to DQ her with.
Old 31 Mar 2001, 21:26 (Ref:75817)   #24
Liz
Veteran

The only female goalie to ever play in the NHL (albeit very briefly) went to play for the Canadian National Team, promptly got pregnant, wanted two years off and then was surprised that her career was over - two years is a long time to be out of the public eye. And although she said that she could get "mom" sponsors for the team, it was decided that this was not the image they wanted for the Canadian National Team. So she got a surprise she wasn't planning on. At least she was a lady about it and didn't immediately sue.

The law in Canada requires that a pregnant worker be given a year off with pay and her job kept for her if she wants to return to it. Can you see Ferrari holding a race seat for a year "in case" their pregnant pilot "wants" to come back and drive for them?

No women in F1. They don't have the right attitude.

P.S. Bernie has said there will NOT be any women in F1. And what Bernie wants ...
Old 31 Mar 2001, 21:30 (Ref:75819)   #25
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

You sure Liz? Heinz PrĂ¼ller says that Bernie says that he wants a woman in F1.