Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Dec 2016, 16:56 (Ref:3692739)   #1576
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Some attractive people there at petit....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Damn right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just as much a Corvette as this, and no one seemed to mind this one!
Goodwrench Chevrolets = Good

-Mike Cooley, The Stroker Ace
Old 1 Dec 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3692744)   #1577
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was no internet yet for us to complain on.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3692745)   #1578
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Nice car, poor name, we had to put up with the name to get the car (money). But - totally aside from the point of my post.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3692780)   #1579
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Looks good to me.

Looks like a Caddy to me.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 19:56 (Ref:3692782)   #1580
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Honestly, I dare to say the DP had more right to the Corvette name than the GTP did. At least the DP had a booming V8 inside it!

And I say that as someone who's favorite GTP car was the Corvette. Someday I hope to have enough money to buy a Mongoose GTP.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:00 (Ref:3692783)   #1581
blankfile
Racer

blankfile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Honestly, I dare to say the DP had more right to the Corvette name than the GTP did. At least the DP had a booming V8 inside it!

And I say that as someone who's favorite GTP car was the Corvette. Someday I hope to have enough money to buy a Mongoose GTP.
eum the gtp corvette also had a V8, it used 2 different engines irc
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:04 (Ref:3692787)   #1582
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankfile View Post
Started as a turbo six.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3692797)   #1583
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
Pros for the Corvette GTP vs Corvette DP:

At least it had a monocoque chassis instead of the DP's tube frame chassis (in broad terms, the DP tube chassis were heavily modified Trans Am/IMSA GTO chassis with mid mounted engines vs front engines and inboard mounted push rod suspension. In deeper detail, DPs were--at least the Riley Tech cars--Riley R&S MkIIIs with roofs, which the MkIII was based partly on Riley's work on Trans Am cars--nothing wrong with that; if you know it and can use it to make an effective machine, use it. But, IMO, DPs were still technologically out of date with the similarly expensive SR/LMP cars they replaced).

Private teams did run small block Chevy V8s in them.

Cons:

In reality, it was no more relevant to a Corvette road car than the DP was.

The "factory" Hendrick Motorsports cars had the Falconer built Buick V6 turbo in them until HMS' dying days in IMSA, when they switched to the SBC for that car's final races.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:27 (Ref:3692799)   #1584
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankfile View Post
It only used the V8 the last two seasons it ran(88 and 89), and never did anything of note with it. The car ran the bulk of it's life(84-87), and took both of it's wins, with a turbocharged Buick V6.

A test chassis had a V8 for the entirety of the car's life, but as the term implies it was a testing-only vehicle(for things like a Lotus-designed active suspension system which sadly never made it to the racecar).
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:27 (Ref:3692800)   #1585
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
Also, the Cadillac DPI is a bit of a let down. It's not a bad looking car, but the Dallara heritage is pretty clear, especially from the side. But that's also like saying that the Dallara itself is largely a cheap knock off of the Porsche 919 with Oreca 05 headlights on it. Granted, though it's not a huge job (Dallara made it easy for Cadillac, after all), it's a big improvement on the Dallara. It's sort of like comparing a AK-47 to a IWI Galil/Galil Ace or a Valmet/Sako RK62 or RK62/M76. Clear heritage, but still a big improvement over the original.

But then again, you can't make an apples to apples comparison to IMSA and the WEC due to different rules sets for their top prototype class, different venues, and different fan bases (even if there is a sizable cross over for the latter). Also, LMP1 teams build their whole cars from scratch, instead of taking an off the shelf chassis and modifying that to a team's needs.

That's why we actually need IMSA GTP, Group C and LMP900/675 back. More variety, more creatively on the part of the teams, etc.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:39 (Ref:3692802)   #1586
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Looks like a Caddy to me.
Maybe I'm not seeing the right features.

Here's what I see that looks like Cadillac:
The side headlight LED.
Stickers
Advertising

It's definitely a good looking car. Though I would hesitate to say it's a Cadillac looking car.

Now I really want to see the Nissan that they were told to try again lol.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 22:14 (Ref:3692824)   #1587
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Some attractive people there at petit....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I smell corndogs and gumbo. Do y'all smell that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

Private teams did run small block Chevy V8s in them.
It's been a long time since I referenced my GTP book, but I think there was a big block version as well. I think I remember that because was the last big block sportscar ever.

Quote:
It only used the V8 the last two seasons it ran(88 and 89), and never did anything of note with it. The car ran the bulk of it's life(84-87), and took both of it's wins, with a turbocharged Buick V6.
I believe that was a Vortec not a 3800 (not that there is a gigantic difference in overall design). Vortecs are monster little turbo motors.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 22:15 (Ref:3692825)   #1588
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!
Again, we don't know which was designed first.

If the Cadillac was designed first, then then Dallara off that, it paints a very different picture.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3692826)   #1589
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Maybe I'm not seeing the right features.

Here's what I see that looks like Cadillac:
The side headlight LED.
Stickers
Advertising

It's definitely a good looking car. Though I would hesitate to say it's a Cadillac looking car.

Now I really want to see the Nissan that they were told to try again lol.
I think there are some subtle changes to the sidepods and nose that don't come through in the rendering. We should be able to tell more once the camo comes off.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 00:37 (Ref:3692851)   #1590
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

A test chassis had a V8 for the entirety of the car's life, but as the term implies it was a testing-only vehicle(for things like a Lotus-designed active suspension system which sadly never made it to the racecar).
Here is the detail of all races of the Corvette GTP and the engines used.
http://www.racingsportscars.com/type...tte%20GTP.html