Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Sep 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2532496)   #51
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This Ten-Tenther really enjoyed the Gold Cup, making my single-seat debut. The Elva 200 Formula Junior that I have bought was delivered to Oulton on the Friday evening by Doug Martin, it's previous owner, who very kindly offered to stay around and spanner for the weekend. I did a few laps of the paddock on Friday evening, just trying to find the gears. Unfortunately we failed the noise test and missed the first testing run, so we packed the silencer full of gauze and wadding for the second testing run - but we rather overdid it as the next reading was down at a churchmouse-like 97! And meant that the car didn't run very well, not pulling at all at the upper end of the revs, nor up the hills, but sufficiently to give me my first taste of single-seaters.

Qualifying is best forgotten, as five laps in, still running poorly I was involved in contact when a faster runner dived up the inside at the top of Clay Hill, when I thought he'd shaped up to go the other side, which would have given him the inside line for Druids. Very disappointing to have had any contact in my first race in a new crowd, after 6 years of racing in Historic Roadsports when I have had no contact whatsoever, the speed differential due to our poor running was a definite contributor as I guess he came up on me faster than either of us had imagined. Damage was very small, but I was nevertheless a bit dispirited on Saturday evening.

Sunday was much better! With such a large margin decibel-wise we removed some of the material we had put in in such haste, and the car ran much better. I ran the FJ race, really enjoyed it, had a little dice with two or three people, but was extremely nervous of getting too close to anyone else (especially after the previous day's issue). I was mightily impressed when Stuart Roach was the first to lap me, as he'd been alongside me at the back of the grid after issues in qualifying, he came past me at the entry into Druids, and I then enjoyed watching his car dance through the corner - can't imagine I'll ever manage that virtuosity even if I'm in the Elva for a few years!

We then quickly refuelled in the pitlane (thanks to Doug and my brother David) before joining the back of the grid for the Classic Racing Cars race, really enjoyable, again had a few nervous dices with other cars, all on a day when I'd expected everyone to be away out of sight by Cascades on lap 1! With a lot of oil down at the end of the race I had a little short-cutting moment at the bottom chicane, but no other dramas, and spent a good amount of time keeping out of the way of the faster cars.

The second CRC race was very wet, and I contemplated withdrawing, but decided against, then stalled approaching the grid and the car wouldn't restart with a tired battery, but I got a hefty push from the marshals into pitroad and managed to restart. Reasoning that everyone would have then gone by the time I emerged from the other end of the pitlane I figured that I might as well have a couple of 'learning laps' on my own, and in fact I stayed out till the end, again spending as much time looking in the mirrors as forwards, and generally shocked at how slippery it all felt - I was dead last, by a long way, but glad that I hadn't bottled it, it's all good experience.

All in all a great day out. One very happy Junior owner, I can wait to get out again.

Much thanks to Doug Martin, who despite being sad to see his car sold, happily stayed around to help me get the hang of it, and understand some of what I will need to know to keep it running.

If anyone has photos - Blue/Red Elva 200 No 75 - I'd love to see them.

For me Oulton is the best weekend of the year, it's a lovely circuit both on and off the track, and for both my brother and I with young toddlers it has to be the most family-friendly of all the circuits.

James
Old 1 Sep 2009, 14:16 (Ref:2532508)   #52
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Also, I wish I'd known Alan Raine was there! Oh well, next time!
Another person I missed!
Old 1 Sep 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2532509)   #53
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Wish i had known it was you HRSTR5. I first met Doug a few years ago and we now get the FF2000 trophies off him great bloke as you said, It was me that lent you a super trap that did not fit. Welcome to FJ .
Old 1 Sep 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2532510)   #54
HFJ Drifter
Rookie

United Kingdom
New Forest
HFJ Drifter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi James, welcome to the FJ crowd. You were very generous when I came up to lap you. I think that race has to go down as one of my best ever, 26th on the grid to 1st overall.

Stuart Roach
Old 1 Sep 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2532512)   #55
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All together not a bad W/E in spite of rain interference and two bent cars at the start of Monday's HGPCA race, 'it wernt me Guv' being something like the reply from the accused, video evidence would suggest otherwise. A pleasant evening in good company with entertainment most of which supplied by 'Gordy'. Chicken curry my choice from the themed Italian? menu the so called curry with the absence of spice could be construed to be in breach of the trades description act but did nothing to dampen the 'spirit' of the evening.

Last edited by p261brm; 1 Sep 2009 at 14:30. Reason: spelling
Old 1 Sep 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2532554)   #56
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've now obviously given up on the 'cool period kit' (seems from conversations over the weekend so did everyone else . . . . about 25 years ago!)

I'd been experimenting with an Aquaplane Aluminium cylinder head which I reclaimed from 'scrap' ie needed chambers welding, reworking, helicoils, guides, seats etc etc, it looks the part, and worked well testing ( briefly) but it just can't handle race spec abuse for long enough, so I have a beautiful ornament to hang on the wall with a few other over skimmed heads!

I suppose I'll just have to stop 'cheating' and stick with iron from now on
Old 1 Sep 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2532571)   #57
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post

James
I'm still loading my pics up, but hopefully will have a few. James that was an excellent personal account too, just the sort of post that I feel adds so much to our threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I've now obviously given up on the 'cool period kit' (seems from conversations over the weekend so did everyone else . . . . about 25 years ago!)

I'd been experimenting with an Aquaplane Aluminium cylinder head which I reclaimed from 'scrap' ie needed chambers welding, reworking, helicoils, guides, seats etc etc, it looks the part, and worked well testing ( briefly) but it just can't handle race spec abuse for long enough, so I have a beautiful ornament to hang on the wall with a few other over skimmed heads!

I suppose I'll just have to stop 'cheating' and stick with iron from now on
Zef, stick with it. You can't say that you haven't tried! Next season's going to be great for you!
Old 1 Sep 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2532594)   #58
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This Ten-Tenther really enjoyed the Gold Cup, making my single-seat debut. The Elva 200 Formula Junior that I have bought was delivered to Oulton on the Friday evening by Doug Martin, it's previous owner, who very kindly offered to stay around and spanner for the weekend. I did a few laps of the paddock on Friday evening, just trying to find the gears. Unfortunately we failed the noise test and missed the first testing run, so we packed the silencer full of gauze and wadding for the second testing run - but we rather overdid it as the next reading was down at a churchmouse-like 97! And meant that the car didn't run very well, not pulling at all at the upper end of the revs, nor up the hills, but sufficiently to give me my first taste of single-seaters.

Qualifying is best forgotten, as five laps in, still running poorly I was involved in contact when a faster runner dived up the inside at the top of Clay Hill, when I thought he'd shaped up to go the other side, which would have given him the inside line for Druids. Very disappointing to have had any contact in my first race in a new crowd, after 6 years of racing in Historic Roadsports when I have had no contact whatsoever, the speed differential due to our poor running was a definite contributor as I guess he came up on me faster than either of us had imagined. Damage was very small, but I was nevertheless a bit dispirited on Saturday evening.

Sunday was much better! With such a large margin decibel-wise we removed some of the material we had put in in such haste, and the car ran much better. I ran the FJ race, really enjoyed it, had a little dice with two or three people, but was extremely nervous of getting too close to anyone else (especially after the previous day's issue). I was mightily impressed when Stuart Roach was the first to lap me, as he'd been alongside me at the back of the grid after issues in qualifying, he came past me at the entry into Druids, and I then enjoyed watching his car dance through the corner - can't imagine I'll ever manage that virtuosity even if I'm in the Elva for a few years!

We then quickly refuelled in the pitlane (thanks to Doug and my brother David) before joining the back of the grid for the Classic Racing Cars race, really enjoyable, again had a few nervous dices with other cars, all on a day when I'd expected everyone to be away out of sight by Cascades on lap 1! With a lot of oil down at the end of the race I had a little short-cutting moment at the bottom chicane, but no other dramas, and spent a good amount of time keeping out of the way of the faster cars.

The second CRC race was very wet, and I contemplated withdrawing, but decided against, then stalled approaching the grid and the car wouldn't restart with a tired battery, but I got a hefty push from the marshals into pitroad and managed to restart. Reasoning that everyone would have then gone by the time I emerged from the other end of the pitlane I figured that I might as well have a couple of 'learning laps' on my own, and in fact I stayed out till the end, again spending as much time looking in the mirrors as forwards, and generally shocked at how slippery it all felt - I was dead last, by a long way, but glad that I hadn't bottled it, it's all good experience.

All in all a great day out. One very happy Junior owner, I can wait to get out again.

Much thanks to Doug Martin, who despite being sad to see his car sold, happily stayed around to help me get the hang of it, and understand some of what I will need to know to keep it running.

For me Oulton is the best weekend of the year, it's a lovely circuit both on and off the track, and for both my brother and I with young toddlers it has to be the most family-friendly of all the circuits.

James

Hi James and welcome to FJ you will not find a frendlier bunch. I too drive an Elva 200 which is Stuart Rolts car I can tell you that you have a great car and once you are used to it I am sure you will be sliding and dancing with the rest of us.

I had a great weekend on the whole apart from a problem in FJ Quali which landed me last due to not geting a timed lap. In the race I had great fun bataling through the field (19 cars in the first lap) in mightly wet conditions and ended up 4th place 3rd fastest which I was quite chuffed with being that my car was the oldest in the field and on drums.

My F3 race was good fun but lacked a race long battle. I was on pole but made a poor start and ended up 3rd behind Trotty and Paul Smith Got passed Trotty (he was very obliging) he gave me room down cascades I then had a great dice with Paul for a couple of laps untill he ran wide on the exit of knickerbrooke giving me the run up the hill. Paul then got involved in a battle for 2nd with Bill Coombs which gave me a good breather letting me get away.

Benn
Old 1 Sep 2009, 17:26 (Ref:2532606)   #59
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ben there goes your Simtek drive. Also can you stop coaching Stuart as thats twice now he has beat me..Jokes appart we had a great race.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2532626)   #60
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all the competitors and officials (esp marshals) for a great event. I only managed to go on the Monday - I normally marshal or timekeep but decided to just watch for a change - thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done, just can't beat the 'historic' racing in my opinion!

First time at Oulton Park as well - what a great circuit.

Gary
Old 1 Sep 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2532657)   #61
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510 View Post
Considering most races were hampered by a safety car it must have been a busy weekend.
"Most" is, I think, something of an overstatement - several is the word I'd use - & my team saved a few more!

Quote:
They just need to get the PA system working around there.
No they don't! Spending the whole day unable to get away from the commentary is not my idea of fun!
Old 1 Sep 2009, 19:36 (Ref:2532691)   #62
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben you were a lot quicker than me so there was no point in blocking you or doing anything silly and I was looking for a reason for you to buy me a drink.
It was your fault that you had a booring race. Nearly 1.5 seconds faster than the next car! Slow down and give us a chance. My Chevron was great and I was happy with the way I drove it but nearly 2 seconds faster than me!!!
You can go off people!
Old 1 Sep 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2532731)   #63
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No apologies for the blatant bias towards the Guards trophy

Dave, these two almost had you back in work

Old 1 Sep 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2532766)   #64
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ben there goes your Simtek drive. Also can you stop coaching Stuart as thats twice now he has beat me..Jokes appart we had a great race.
Hi Ian I watched your race looked like you had some fun. I had a drive in Stuarts reynard wow they have some grip not how I rember our old royale rp 30 quite impressive. I think Stu is really enjoying his races with you so keep finding those second hand tyres and coming out to play.

You got that march sorted yet?

Trotty It ain't just me Bill and Paul have raised the bar Bill has been blinding through this season we have had to really work hard to get to the pace and Paul has really took to the Martini he is flying .

I am really looking foward to Thruxton As I am sure are you see you there

Benn
Old 2 Sep 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2532912)   #65
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had an interesting day. I was asked to drive Roger Seymour's lovely blue Merlyn Mk6 in the Guards, freshly out of a beautiful restoration. I had never driven it (or similar) before so was somewhat tentative in qualifying, and had resolved not to drive it if it was a wet race because Roger wishes to sell the car. He wanted me to see if it was 'up there' in terms of race speed etc.

The race started just fine, and after a few exchanges with an Elva for class P2, managed to get into class P1, then the heavens opened. Cars were in the gravel, spinning right in front of me. Nerves were in evidence on the pit wall as well as in the car! After the safety car, it was still raining and pretty slippy (lots of first gear corners) and I bottled as the Elva went past me. But the little Merlyn seemed to handle well in the wet and I can undertand why Simon D goes on about his. Anyway, big relief as car returned to the paddock in one piece, and finished in one piece.....

Felt there was a good atmosphere at Oulton; credit to HSCC etc.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2532939)   #66
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I have a picture Peter, let me check this evening
Old 2 Sep 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2533161)   #67
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
It was me that lent you a super trap that did not fit. Welcome to FJ .
Delta: Many thanks for the loan. We were also another loaned second-hand silencer, to which my bother applied his aeronautical engineering expertise (saw, hammer etc)... Hmm, I returned it a bit sheepishly, and offered to pay for it, but it went back into the lender's truck ready for a similar emergency...together with a can of beer. I had help offered from a number of people, and am very grateful to all.

HFJ Drifter: Thanks for your comments, I look forward to waving you by again soon.

John Taylor: Thanks your comments too, and I look forward to seeing any pics you might have.

Benn: Why were you in the other FJ race, surely 'your' Elva 200 is Class C too?

JAMES
Old 2 Sep 2009, 15:02 (Ref:2533186)   #68
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Ben was in the other race because HEEEEESSSS TOOOO BLOOOOMING FAST
Old 2 Sep 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2533215)   #69
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
It would have been fun if both Benn and Stuart had been on the back of the grid for the first race ... !

I've been meaning to introduce myself to you at each of the meetings this year, but the combination of historic racecars and toddlers don't seem to leave a great deal of time at the meetings for a natter! I'm not at Brands Indy (will be recovering - hopefully! - from knee surgery), but should be out for Silverstone Finals so I'll come and say hello then. I will also be at FJ double-header at Lydden on Oct 3/4 but I doubt you'll be there!

James
Old 2 Sep 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2533230)   #70
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see reports by Benn and Trotty and nice to know what was going on at the front. Meanwhile back at mid-field, I had a very enjoyable race. I managed to get past Hugh Price, who missed a gear on I think the first lap then we both followed Valerio Leone in his March 783 (he is presently leading the French championship with an RT3), until his gearbox blew out all its oil coming out of Shell/Esso (I had a bit of a moment there). We continued battling until I spun like an idiot coming out of the first chicane. Poor Hugh took avoiding action and ended on the grass. Masses of cars went past as I stalled, restarted, could not get first gear, and generally messed up. When I finally got going I found Hugh was also still struggling to get away and I passed him again, so we continued our dogfight until the end. I found him later and apologized and said it was very kind of him to wait! Two cars (Jamie Brashaw and Keith White) crashed quite heavily at Deer’s Leap, and two of the cars that had passed me during my senior moment also spun or went off. I ended up 8th overall (7th in F3), but it could have been 5th.
I find Oulton Park harder than Brands GP but it really grows on one, although the chicanes are rather a pity. I can understand the one before Knickerbrook but perhaps one could do without the first chicane. I broke my front splitter (yet again) getting two wheels off at the exit of Druids. The corner seems to change shape on every lap.
Now looking forward to Thruxton, first time for me.
All the best
Marcus
Old 2 Sep 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2533232)   #71
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It would have been fun if both Benn and Stuart had been on the back of the grid for the first race ... !

I've been meaning to introduce myself to you at each of the meetings this year, but the combination of historic racecars and toddlers don't seem to leave a great deal of time at the meetings for a natter! I'm not at Brands Indy (will be recovering - hopefully! - from knee surgery), but should be out for Silverstone Finals so I'll come and say hello then. I will also be at FJ double-header at Lydden on Oct 3/4 but I doubt you'll be there!

James
If I survive the Lurani round at Eifelrennen the previous week I am going to Lydden with the FJ Brabham - first time since ... 1969 in F4!
I get a wild card as a "foreigner".
Marcus
Old 2 Sep 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2533234)   #72
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
then we both followed Valerio Leone in his March 783 (he is presently leading the French championship with an RT3), until his gearbox blew out all its oil coming out of Shell/Esso (I had a bit of a moment there). Marcus

Big hole in gearbox casing would be a better description

I was one of the incident marshals at Shell and when the car was lifted there was a large piece of gearbox casing missing from the underside of the box], hence the sudden and large scale loss of oil just after the apex, everyone managed very well to avoid it though as no one else spun

Great weekend despite the weather and well done to all those who entertained us with the tail slides around the corner

Roll on next year
Old 2 Sep 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2533246)   #73
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
If I survive the Lurani round at Eifelrennen the previous week I am going to Lydden with the FJ Brabham - first time since ... 1969 in F4!
I get a wild card as a "foreigner".
Marcus
I said to Alan Morgan at Oulton that if the next few weeks go well i would like to bring the Lotus22 to Lydden.Could be a lot of fun.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2533266)   #74
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
All together not a bad W/E in spite of rain interference and two bent cars at the start of Monday's HGPCA race, 'it wernt me Guv' being something like the reply from the accused, video evidence would suggest otherwise.
here here ?? well said that man i think his year off should make him think ! (then again probabley not as he would need a brain for that ! )
Old 2 Sep 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2533272)   #75
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
A few more in no particular order.

Alan saw your photos & added mine

Spooky eh
Attached Thumbnails
GC001.jpg