Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 10 Jun 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3739957)   #1926
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a Christian Democrat am I twice damned John?
Old 11 Jun 2017, 04:47 (Ref:3740127)   #1927
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I very gently point out to those few who feel moved to mention it, that this is supposed to be a lighthearted thread within a Motor sport forum and like your local pub there are at least a couple of subjects - politics & religion - that it is probably wiser to avoid. If you feel a need to discuss such matters, may I suggest parc ferme would be a better place.
Oh!!!!Turner stop upsetting my mate Lanky.😜
Old 11 Jun 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3740170)   #1928
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Iain, I don't think that my remarks were particularly directed at 'Lanky' and shouldn't be viewed as such. I agree with Grant, that what's been going on in the last couple of years is surreal. I merely point out that any political views espoused here will not, as in our country, be shared by everyone here. I simply repeat that this is a lighthearted thread on a motor racing forum, just about the last place to discuss politics, a subject which is surely imposing itself on our lives more than enough elsewhere.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 11 Jun 2017, 12:04 (Ref:3740225)   #1929
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
John I was jesting but thanks anyway .
Old 11 Jun 2017, 12:07 (Ref:3740226)   #1930
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh no you weren't.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3740227)   #1931
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Oh no you weren't.
O yes he was!
Old 11 Jun 2017, 20:58 (Ref:3740344)   #1932
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Funny thing is I'm fast approaching 65 I'm getting interested in politics. Just got to learn to spell. 😀. FYI just stopped near Reams for the night . Brilliant weekend at Dijon and great to spend some time with that nasty moderator. Come to think of it he did not nag me once all weekend . Hang on yes he did . Had a pop at me this morning as I worse on me terrd cup of tea
Old 11 Jun 2017, 22:33 (Ref:3740354)   #1933
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Funny thing is I'm fast approaching 65 I'm getting interested in politics. Just got to learn to spell. 😀. FYI just stopped near Reams for the night . Brilliant weekend at Dijon and great to spend some time with that nasty moderator. Come to think of it he did not nag me once all weekend . Hang on yes he did . Had a pop at me this morning as I worse on me terrd cup of tea
I have to say the tea does not sound great Iain.

Was it perhaps Irish tea?

Old 12 Jun 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3740399)   #1934
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Funny thing is I'm fast approaching 65 I'm getting interested in politics. Just got to learn to spell. ��. FYI just stopped near Reams for the night . Brilliant weekend at Dijon and great to spend some time with that nasty moderator. Come to think of it he did not nag me once all weekend . Hang on yes he did . Had a pop at me this morning as I worse on me terrd cup of tea
I passed the 65 landmark a few weeks ago & my first pension payment is actually due today - it's a very strange feeling...
Old 12 Jun 2017, 08:40 (Ref:3740435)   #1935
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Funny thing is I'm fast approaching 65 I'm getting interested in politics. Just got to learn to spell.
You've left it a bit late for the first and on the second, you're beyond redemption, Iain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I passed the 65 landmark a few weeks ago & my first pension payment is actually due today - it's a very strange feeling...
Yeah, I remember that feeling a couple of years back, John. Very welcome though after my divorce robbed me of a substantial part of my company pension, but I won't go off on one. Hey ho.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 12 Jun 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3740439)   #1936
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
You've left it a bit late for the first and on the second, you're beyond redemption, Iain!
Glad you said it John, otherwise I'd get accused of having a go at him again!

I do wonder though how many spelling 'errors' we all make are due to auto correct- Reims into Reams, for instance seems a likely one.....

Just south of Paris (glorious day) and on a break before tackling the tortuous route round to the west. SatNav waste of time so atlas and road signs suddenly back to being useful!
Old 12 Jun 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3740444)   #1937
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A Spitfire that is said to have been based at Dijon managed to up-end itself on attempting to take-off from an airfield further north yesterday. I wonder if it was the same one that entertained at the race meeting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnVAPfCgjxI
Old 12 Jun 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3740445)   #1938
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

I do wonder though how many spelling 'errors' we all make are due to auto correct- Reims into Reams, for instance seems a likely one.....

Just south of Paris (glorious day) and on a break before tackling the tortuous route round to the west. SatNav waste of time so atlas and road signs suddenly back to being useful!
You might find it less glorious as you get further north Mike - cool, windy & mostly overcast with a threat of rain here.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3740488)   #1939
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Possibly even worse than that Mike, especially on a phone screen.

If one mistypes something without really noticing (I have a "keyboard" that seems to regularly change something AFTER one has corrected a mis-correction especially at the end of a sentence) and, being distracted, accidentally adds the new "word" to the dictionary it may become part of all future problems.

Worse still, if the application in use is intended to "learn" your vocabulary by what you use such odd words, based in common miskeying issues, may become the ones most commonly auto-suggested.

Not a great result. Made much worse, of course, if one is hurriedly responding to something without bothering to find one's spectacles!

The potential for catastrophic miscommunication in the modern world must be rather great.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3740495)   #1940
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The potential for catastrophic miscommunication in the modern world must be rather great.
Grant, I suspect you're a Samsung happy customer
Sometimes this corrector thingy produces funny situations, a good excuse for misunderstanding! In this case, it might help!
Old 12 Jun 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3740524)   #1941
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:

Did that last week. Good luck Mike,Sure is scary going around the ring road. No chance of me spelling"perifery"
Old 12 Jun 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3740525)   #1942
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I'm after a Lotus twin cam air box. Any idea's. Want to use on my Lotus 22 as an air box. Thanks in advance.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3740532)   #1943
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Did that last week. Good luck Mike,Sure is scary going around the ring road. No chance of me spelling"perifery"

Although satnav tries to take me a different way, there's a signposted route from the A6 (from Dijon) to the A13 to Caen that avoids the Periphique...... Possibly a few more clicks but is usually free flowing as long as you miss the rush hour! Only way to be safe on the Periphique is to be going few kms faster than everyone else- trouble is they are all trying the same technique!

TwinCam air box from what car? They're were usually specific to the model fitted to.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 12 Jun 2017 at 15:15.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3740540)   #1944
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

Although satnav tries to take me a different way, there's a signposted route from the A6 (from Dijon) to the A13 to Caen that avoids the Periphique...... Possibly a few more clicks but is usually free flowing as long as you miss the rush hour! Only way to be safe on the Periphique is to be going few kms faster than everyone else- trouble is they are all trying the same technique!

TwinCam air box from what car? They're were usually specific to the model fitted to.
Is 'Peripherique' becoming the new 'Croissant' in terms of how many different ways it can be spelt?
Old 12 Jun 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3740541)   #1945
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
A Spitfire that is said to have been based at Dijon managed to up-end itself on attempting to take-off from an airfield further north yesterday. I wonder if it was the same one that entertained at the race meeting?
Nasty incident. Looks like the right hand wheel dug into a soft patch of ground. Trouble with grass runways! Not sure if the same plane as I didn't note the reg of the one at Dijon. (Being a Sea Fury fan I was go using more attention on that!) Looks like the latter was at the event where the Spit crashed, so maybe same plane....
Old 12 Jun 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3740543)   #1946
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Is 'Peripherique' becoming the new 'Croissant' in terms of how many different ways it can be spelt?
I use the mid length version- however you type it, auto correct thinks it's wrong!
Old 12 Jun 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3740549)   #1947
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Nasty incident. Looks like the right hand wheel dug into a soft patch of ground. Trouble with grass runways! Not sure if the same plane as I didn't note the reg of the one at Dijon. (Being a Sea Fury fan I was go using more attention on that!) Looks like the latter was at the event where the Spit crashed, so maybe same plane....
The son of a neighbour of mine suffered a similar incident last year, landing a Spitfire on a grass airfield, where it dug-in & tipped up but fortunately didn't go over like yesterday's incident.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3740577)   #1948
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I use the mid length version- however you type it, auto correct thinks it's wrong!
The correct spelling is Ring Road, and it's English.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3740589)   #1949
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe we are perambulating around the periphery of the issue. To the extent that I can't remember what the issue was.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3740595)   #1950
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You're correct, Bob, Ring is the good name. As Mike pointed, in French words, it becomes " Boulevard Périphérique" while Belgians say Ring too (Wallons, the French speaking ones).
As to the wrecked Spit', it seems that a lateral wind and too much throttle could be both responsible for this accident. Really sad.
Closed Thread