Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Will you be attending the International Sports Car Weekend at COTA?
Yes 21 31.34%
No 45 67.16%
Maybe so 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Sep 2013, 02:55 (Ref:3301824)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
2013 FIA WEC - Round 5 - 6 Hours of COTA

After a DNF-ridden round 4 in Brazil, round 5 of the 2013 FIA World Endurance Championship will be part of the International Sports Car Weekend at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas. The still new facility has hosted some fantastic racing over the last 10 months, including the notable 2012 United States Grand Prix, the Rolex Sports Car Series weekend, and the V8 Supercars Texas 400. Expectations are high and the FIA WEC and American Le Mans Series plan to exceed expectations during the stellar doubleheader weekend. In what is considered the very best out of hundreds of motor racing circuits in the United States and Canada, COTA will host this carnival of speed from September 20-22.

Also, HUGE news regarding TV broadcasting/airing for American fans! Along with the usual 52 min highlights reel, FOX Sports 1 will be showing the entire race LIVE!!!

After terrible luck that took them out of contention in the early stages at Interlagos, Toyota is hoping to bounce back and take the fight to the Audi juggernaut in LMP1. Toyota has proven over and over again that they have pace to match Audi, but their durability and sheer bad luck has been the thorn in their sides. It is speculated that Toyota can now last a bit longer than Audi on a full fuel load in race trim, but that was never confirmed due to the #8's early retirement at Interlagos. All of these questions should be answered at Circuit of the Americas in what should be a thrilling battle in LMP1.

LMP2 again will have the largest number of entries at nine in class. Collin Kolles and his Czech-based Lotus-Praga team are perhaps the most eager for a decent finish after what can only be described as a disastrous season. Wrecked cars, lack of pace, and reliability problems look bad on paper, too; Spa was the only round where both cars actually finished! Russia's G-Drive Racing comes in as the class favorite after dominating the LMP2 class at Interlagos with their stunning Rusinov/Martin/Conway lineup. French outfit OAK Racing will again bring three cars, two of which could challenge for the LMP2 win: the #35 and the #24. The #45 "art car" will be driven by team owner Jacques Nicolet, gentleman driver Jean-Marc Merlin, and Frenchman Erik Maris, and will likely be one of the LMP2 backmarkers. Mexican Rudy Junco will replace Robbie Kerr in the 3rd and final seat of the #25 Delta-ADR Oreca Nissan. As always, the #49 Pecom Racing car is a sleeper - they have shown their muscle with a win at Spa and podium finishes at every other round (Silverstone, Le Mans, and Interlagos). Finally, the #41 Greaves Motorsports Zytek will have the helpful addition of British sportscar ace Tom Kimber-Smith, who will share driving duties with Chris Dyson and Christian Zugel.

In the GTE-Pro class at Interlagos, championship leader Aston Martin Racing had a generally negative experience. The #99 car, driven by Rob Bell and Bruno Senna, ended up with a DNF. The #98 car, with Paul Dalla Lana, Richie Stanaway, and Pedro Lamy at the controls, finished last out of the cars that completed the race, which didn't accurately reflect their pole position and pace throughout the weekend. The #97 car came home in second but was not able to track down the leading Ferrari as expected. Simple mistakes by AMR's driver and the opposition alike lead to a tough race, and at such a pivotal point in the season, Aston Martin needs to score some good finishes. The perennially fast Frenchman Frederic Makowiecki is back on Aston Martin driving duty in the #99 after testing a Honda Super GT500 car in Japan and should help push the car towards the front. Also, Stefan Mucke and Darren Turner need more outright pace to secure a victory in GTE-Pro as the competition from AF Corse and Porsche AG Team Manthey gets progressively tougher. This also may be the #98's last WEC race for the season as car owner Paul Dalla Lana has vocalized that he wants to do some testing on tracks in North America and possibly enter the car in Petit Le Mans this October. Aside from Aston Martin, Porsche needs to bring their two cars home this time without as many dramas as in Sao Paulo. Finally, it seems as though the #71 AF Corse Ferrari has been repaired in time for the COTA race after a massive fire annihilated the car in Brazil. In conclusion, it's anyone's guess who will come up on top in GTE-Pro at COTA, because the competition is stiffer than ever.

In GTE-Am, one car will be leagues over everyone else at Circuit of the Americas: the #95 all-Danish Aston Martin. With Roald Goethe ready to slow things down in the #96 Aston Martin, an increasingly erratic Jack Gerber, and possibly no 3rd pro driver in the #81 8 Star Ferrari, all of the potential rivals seem to be out of the question. And that question is: can the #95 car survive all the way to the finish? It didn't in Interlagos, but what could possibly stop it at COTA, a track as smooth as silk and land where runoff and gravel traps abound? Also, Krohn Racing has recently announced that they may be moving to LMP2 at the beginning of the next year... that is, if Tracy Krohn can fit in the car!

HELPFUL LINKS

CIRCUIT WEBSITE
The official website of Circuit of the Americas, where you can find extra info on the race and upcoming races at America's premier road course.

WEEKEND SCHEDULE

Friday, September 20
7:30 am GATES OPEN
8:00 am–9:00 am Practice #1 – ALMS (All Classes)
9:15 am–10:45 am Free Practice #1 – FIA WEC
11:00 am–11:30 am Driver Fan Forum – ALMS (ALMS Paddock – Near ALMS VIP Club)
11:10 am–11:40 am RACE #1 – LITES – 30 MINUTES
12:40 pm–1:40 pm Practice #2 – ALMS (All Classes)
1:50 pm–2:05 pm Qualifying – ALMS (GTC)
2:10 pm–2:25 pm Qualifying – ALMS (GT)
2:35 pm–2:50 pm Qualifying – ALMS (PC)
2:55 pm–3:10 pm Qualifying – ALMS (P1/P2)
3:25 pm–4:55 pm Free Practice #2 – FIA WEC
5:15 pm–6:00 pm RACE #1 – GT3 CUP – 45 MINUTES
6:30 pm GATES CLOSE

Saturday, September 21
7:30 am GATES OPEN
8:00 am–8:25 am Warm Up – ALMS (All Classes)
8:40 am–9:40 am Free Practice #3 – FIA WEC
10:05 am–10:50 am RACE #2 – LITES – 45 MINUTES
11:00 am–5:00 pm Kids Festival Attractions (Support Paddock)
11:15 am–12:00 pm RACE #2 – GT3 CUP – 45 MINUTES
12:00 pm–1:00 pm Driver Autograph Session – ALMS (Paddock – ALMS Team Transporters)
12:00 pm–12:20 pm Sportbike Freestyle Demonstration by Aaron Colton (Grand Plaza)
12:40 pm–1:00 pm Live Auction – Risi Competizione Ferrari GT Team Transporter (ALMS Paddock)
1:00 pm–1:30 pm DRIVER AUTOGRAPH SESSION – LITES AND GT3 CUP (ALMS PADDOCK – NEAR ALMS VIP CLUB)
1:00 pm–1:25 pm Qualifying – FIA WEC (LMGTE-PRO/LMGTE-AM)
1:35 pm–2:00 pm Qualifying – FIA WEC (LMP1/LMP2)
2:15 pm–2:35 pm Sportbike Freestyle Demonstration by Aaron Colton (On Track)
2:15 pm–2:35 pm Drifting Demonstration by Formula DRIFT (On Track)
3:00 pm–3:30 pm Fan Grid Walk – ALMS (Access from Paddock and Main Grandstand East) – Access closes at 3:20 pm
3:45 pm–6:30 pm Race – American Le Mans Series Presented by Tequila Patrón (Round 8) – 2 Hours 45 Minutes
6:30 pm–6:50 pm Sportbike Freestyle Demonstration by Aaron Colton (Grand Plaza)
7:30 pm GATES CLOSE

Sunday, September 22
8:00 am GATES OPEN
8:30 am–9:40 am Pit Walk – FIA WEC (Pit Lane – Access from Paddock) – Access closes at 9:30 am
9:00 am–9:30 am Driver Autograph Session – FIA WEC (Pit Lane – Access from Paddock)
9:30 am–9:45 am Sportbike Freestyle Demonstration by Aaron Colton (On Track)
9:30 am–9:45 am Drifting Demonstration by Formula DRIFT (On Track)
10:30 am–10:50 am Sportbike Freestyle Demonstration by Aaron Colton (Grand Plaza)
11:00 am–5:00 pm Kids Festival Attractions (Support Paddock)
11:00 am–5:00 pm Race – FIA WEC – 6 Hours
2:00 pm–2:20 pm Sportbike Freestyle Demonstration by Aaron Colton (Grand Plaza)
5:05 pm–5:35 pm Public Track Walk (Front Straight Only – Access from Main Grandstand East and West Sides)
6:00 pm GATES CLOSE

ENTRY LIST

TICKETS (still available!!!)

WEATHER FORECAST

AUSTIN, TEXAS HOTELS/ACCOMMODATIONS

HOW TO GET TO Circuit of the Americas

TRACK MAP

LAP OF Circuit of the Americas

BROADCAST/TV DETAILS

ANDY BLACKMORE'S SPOTTER GUIDES!

FRC PREDICTIONS COMPETITION

and also...

FIND BEETLE!!!
If you happen to be attending the International Sports Car Weekend, I'll be staying in the Omni Hotel Downtown and will be updating Twitter on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (linked above) every hour or so with my approximate location. Use #findbeetle. It would be lovely to have a chat with fellow 10 Tenths members.

Apologies if this thread came a bit early. But it gives American sportscar fans something to talk about other than the USCR.

Cheers, and bring on the COTA monster!!

Old 11 Sep 2013, 03:13 (Ref:3301830)   #2
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Surprisingly cool poster (considering the usual standard of WEC posters...)
Old 11 Sep 2013, 03:16 (Ref:3301833)   #3
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Surprisingly cool poster (considering the usual standard of WEC posters...)
Funny, when I was posting it, I was thinking about your comment on the 2012 6 Hours of Shanghai poster... when you called it "cheap", like Chinese manufacturing?
Old 11 Sep 2013, 04:29 (Ref:3301857)   #4
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Maybe it was someone else but I remember these:

http://sportscargeek.files.wordpress...4_imola_hd.jpg (btw, running the track in wrong direction)
http://www.fiawec.com/wpphpFichiers/...ne-297x210.jpg (generally: WTH and really pro cut & pasting)

This years Fuji poster seems return to the usual path...

Last edited by deggis; 11 Sep 2013 at 04:43.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 04:35 (Ref:3301858)   #5
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there. Tent/RV camping is available at this place overloooking turn 10/11: http://rvnightly.com
Old 11 Sep 2013, 05:28 (Ref:3301869)   #6
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't wait for this one! Flying in and attending all three days; hoping to make it to the UT / K-State game Saturday after ALMS as well.

Really excited to experience the diesel Audis for the first time in person, I missed them the last time they were in the Pacific Northwest (Portland in 2006, I think?).

Wish there was a bit of WEC/ALMS crossover, but I certainly understand why there isn't.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3302037)   #7
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just too expensive, despite it being the best weekend of racing in North America all season. I envy those that can go.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3302047)   #8
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Definitely a great weekend to be at. Enjoy all. I'll be soaking it all up on TV.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3302092)   #9
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Definitely a great weekend to be at. Enjoy all. I'll be soaking it all up on TV.
I'll be soaking up the sun.

Although it looks like it may rain on me again, according to the 10 day forecast.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 13:55 (Ref:3302122)   #10
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I will be there!

With Michelin hospitality and a vitesse ride no less!
Old 11 Sep 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3302126)   #11
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I will be there!

I almost opted for the Le Mans Spirit Club but it was a wee bit too expensive. That means I'll be wandering around the circuit, most likely staking my claim around Turns 6-10 area. The Stadium Section is too busy for my liking...

Does anyone know whether they'll have all the grandstands up? They took the grandstands in Turn 11 and the grandstands in the esses down for the Grand-Am race. I'd like a decent place to sit.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 14:17 (Ref:3302129)   #12
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Does anyone know whether they'll have all the grandstands up? They took the grandstands in Turn 11 and the grandstands in the esses down for the Grand-Am race. I'd like a decent place to sit.
CotA posted on their FB page a few weeks ago that the temporary bleachers are going up in prep for the F1 race (image). However, for the track map for the ALMS/WEC race, they aren't shown. So, I'm guessing whatever bleachers are back up, will be closed.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 17:00 (Ref:3302202)   #13
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I will be there!

As in Bugatti Veyron Super Sport Vitesse? Indeed very !
Old 11 Sep 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3302206)   #14
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So this is still early on in the poll, but I'm really surprised at how many (in terms of % of responders) contributers to the forum will be going to COTA for the WEC race. It's actually very nice to see.

DK

PS: Nice job Beetle providing all of the information!
Old 11 Sep 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3302213)   #15
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
So this is still early on in the poll, but I'm really surprised at how many (in terms of % of responders) contributers to the forum will be going to COTA for the WEC race. It's actually very nice to see.

DK

PS: Nice job Beetle providing all of the information!
Then you might want to join in the fun?

And it's my pleasure... I actually learned some things I didn't know about the race in the process of posting the links.

EDIT: I'm surprised at the poll response, as well. I expected about a 1:15 ratio, but 1:2 isn't bad. I guess it's mathematically probable that a quarter of Tenthers will be attending.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3302228)   #16
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope I can still stream the race on my PC with no commercials as a result of the race being shown live on US TV.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3302237)   #17
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Then you might want to join in the fun?

And it's my pleasure... I actually learned some things I didn't know about the race in the process of posting the links.

EDIT: I'm surprised at the poll response, as well. I expected about a 1:15 ratio, but 1:2 isn't bad. I guess it's mathematically probable that a quarter of Tenthers will be attending.
I wish I could attend but I live near Baltimore and so I get to go to that race every year. Since my wife and I are planning to go on vacation out of the country right after the COTA race I will have to pass up attending this year. If they will have it again next year, I might get over there. When I was younger I used to attend Watkins Glen almost every year for the WSC race.

DK
Old 11 Sep 2013, 17:46 (Ref:3302241)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Just too expensive, despite it being the best weekend of racing in North America all season. I envy those that can go.
$79 for a 3-day pass - or am I misunderstanding?
Old 11 Sep 2013, 17:51 (Ref:3302245)   #19
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
And $20 cheaper if you live in Austin! (I think this deal only works for those that live here.) http://local.amazon.com/austin/B00EPOGMA4 This deal also avoids any of the stupid TicketMaster fees and ridiculous shipping charge. Parking though isn't included.

Granted I'm sure Maelochs is talking about flights/hotels/food.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3302246)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
And $20 cheaper if you live in Austin! (I think this deal only works for those that live here.) http://local.amazon.com/austin/B00EPOGMA4 This deal also avoids any of the stupid TicketMaster fees and ridiculous shipping charge. Parking though isn't included.

Granted I'm sure Maelochs is talking about flights/hotels/food.
Of course - on that basis, understood. As a basic ticket cost though, sounds very reasonable.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 18:23 (Ref:3302260)   #21
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle
Collin Kolles and his Czech-based Lotus-Praga team are perhaps the most eager for a decent finish after what can only be described as a disastrous season.
Lotus (Kodewa) are based in Germany.
Anyway, looking forward to the race.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 18:40 (Ref:3302267)   #22
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Not going I decided it wasn't worth it. Next year I will plan this trip. Two reasons- there will be new lmp1 cars next year and that means Porsche Rebellion maybe Hpd a new Toyota(s) in the lmp1 fight. The other reason is my brother can't go this year and I need someone I know to go with me.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3302288)   #23
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Lotus (Kodewa) are based in Germany.
Anyway, looking forward to the race.
Indeed, the Czechs only right the cheques...

I'll grab my coat.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3302291)   #24
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
Wish there was a bit of WEC/ALMS crossover, but I certainly understand why there isn't.
That's easy: do a GT race on Saturday and a proto race on Sunday.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3302303)   #25
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's fair to say that there are going to be a LOT of meetings held in the paddock during this race weekend.