Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 21 Jan 2001, 09:43 (Ref:59589)   #1
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of last years most talented F3000 rookie's - Sebastien Bourdais - was dropped by Prost just before Xmas, yet he had been told that he was secure till 2002.
With the news about Gary Paffett also suffering a similar fate with Jaguar Racing in F3, what do we think about this?

Should teams be allowed to 'string along' drivers, then drop them when it's almost too late for them to get a decent drive for the next season?

Old 21 Jan 2001, 20:35 (Ref:59684)   #2
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
def. not it is f****** disgusting and i think it needs to be stopped!!!! bloody makes me soooo angry
Old 21 Jan 2001, 20:51 (Ref:59688)   #3
Sarah_I
Rookie

Sarah_I should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
makes me angry too. its really not fair when a driver genuinely believes they have a drive sorted only to be turned away at such a late stage when many of the better drives have already been taken.
Old 21 Jan 2001, 22:12 (Ref:59704)   #4
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. I consider this sort of behaviour to be quite disgusting. In acting like this, teams could literally wreck a drivers career. At the levels of F3 and F3000, a year spent in a less successful team can leave you completely out of contention and forgotten for the next season...out of sight out of mind.

The FIA and FOTA should do something about this and give drivers some rights.
Old 22 Jan 2001, 15:59 (Ref:59812)   #5
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not always the drivers who lose out in this way - it's not unknown for teams to be left high and dry by a driver who they considered they had a contract with, as he jumps ship at the last minute.

It's not particularly fair either way, but that's life. I feel sorry for Bourdais though, as he really believed he'd be driving for Galouises, while Paffett knew the risk he was taking holding out for the Jag seat.
Old 22 Jan 2001, 16:26 (Ref:59815)   #6
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to agree with FEUsmart here, its really tough on the people concerned (whether they be drivers or teams) but that's life. I hope Bourdais and Paffett find good drives for next season, and prove those who sacked them wrong by beating their replacements over the course of the next year.
Old 22 Jan 2001, 16:57 (Ref:59818)   #7
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This Paffet situation fills me with dismay. Whilst it is always tempting for teams to look abroad for new talent surely it is less of a risk to take somebody who has already proven themselves in the junior category of the same championship.... madness, sheer madness.....

And now there is a chance that Paffet will NOT get an F3 drive in this country next year. If he decides to go to racing in a foreign series it will be a huge loss to this country's pool of motorsport talent.
Old 22 Jan 2001, 17:36 (Ref:59820)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I watched Bourdais in F3000 last season, and thought he was very talented. I think this behaviour from the team is highly unethical. And I agree, there should be some rules preventing situations like this.
Old 30 Jan 2001, 12:01 (Ref:61130)   #9
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just noticed on Autosport's site that Bourdais has been snapped up by DAMS for this season, along with Derek Hill. So I guess we just have to hope they have a better season than last year.
Old 31 Jan 2001, 13:36 (Ref:61340)   #10
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Judging by what happened at Arrows this week its not just in the Junior Formulae this happens. Poor old Pedro.