Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Jun 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2473381)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[V8SC09R09&10] Skycity Triple Crown, Hidden Valley Raceway, NT (Merged x1)

Like all greenies say, climate change is inveitable and they are right. From the bitterly cold Symmons Plains to the ultra warm temps of the Northen Territory. Can the drivers last with the heat? Can the cars last long hot races? Can the soft tyres last the warm track? Can fans last before they start chucking flags onto the track again to further spice up the racing?

Will the FG Pigs grunt and snort their way to another win or will someone stop the new evil empire? Could we even see a few suprises? Who knows, but personally, can't wait. BRING IT ON!!!

Top picks are
James Whincup
Craig Lowndes
Todd Kelly
Garth Tander
Will Davison

Smokeys in the pack
Rick Kelly
Jason Bright
Greg Murphy
Fabian Coulthard
Steven Richards
Old 1 Jun 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2473394)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whinky v Davo again IMO.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2473652)   #3
Silencer
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Silencer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FPR got a 1-2 last year if I recall, I can't see them repeating that tbh.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 05:56 (Ref:2474449)   #4
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love NT

Without doubt one of the best events to attend each year. Great meeting, nice people, fun atmosphere and the restaurants in Cullen Bay are tops.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 06:18 (Ref:2474456)   #5
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoever has good drive out of corners and good horsepower will go well. I cant see anything other than 888 and HRT, with a mix of perhaps a DJR car and frosty. Ingall could do ok, but I would be concerned about their horsepower.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 06:28 (Ref:2474458)   #6
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
Without doubt one of the best events to attend each year. Great meeting, nice people, fun atmosphere and the restaurants in Cullen Bay are tops.

Lovin your work Baz
Old 3 Jun 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2474534)   #7
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ingall looked good at Symonds plenty of life in him yet. I wonder if the horsepower deficiency that Whincup is whinging about will effect them at Hidden Valley. Nice long front straight will show any short comings in the horsepower stakes
Old 3 Jun 2009, 10:27 (Ref:2474584)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
Yep...must be your shout then Baz

Anyone got their letter yet? due this week.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2474700)   #9
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i've always wanted to get to Darwin for this meet but the family has been through abit the last few weeks so unfortunatly can't make it.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2474715)   #10
motofan
Racer

motofan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
triple 8 for the win,there on the ball, more proffessional, they have there **** together if any1 beats them it will be through sheer luck
Old 3 Jun 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2474725)   #11
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Yep...must be your shout then Baz

Anyone got their letter yet? due this week.
Wave to the top of the gravel pit stands if you are up that end 275, I may just be capable of waving back
Old 4 Jun 2009, 01:16 (Ref:2475063)   #12
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofan View Post
Triple 8 for the win. Their on the ball, more professional, they have their gear together. If anyone beats them it will be through sheer luck.
Seems most likely.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 04:30 (Ref:2475096)   #13
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weather is always the big factor in Darwin, whether you go in t-shirt and shorts or singlet and shorts on race day.

Darwin casual- singlet, shorts and thongs.

Darwin semi-formal-t-shirt, shorts and thongs.

Darwin formal- good t-shirt, shorts and maybe sandals.

Darwin is a top spot, if you get up there early or staying after the racing don't forget to allow time for Mindill beach market(Thursday and Sunday night), Stokes Hill Wharf or Cullen Bay for the restaurants, WW2 Oil tunnels, harbour cruise or some fishing tours etc.

Down the Stuart Highway you can still see the remains of the WW2 aerodromes and mlitary bases, a bit of history that a lot us weren't tuaght at school!

If time permits spend some time out in Kakadu, and take a scenic flight. Just beware the owner of Kakadu Air Services is very a dedicated motor racing enthusiast and HQ racer at Hidden Valley!
Old 5 Jun 2009, 06:13 (Ref:2475770)   #14
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Weather is always the big factor in Darwin, whether you go in t-shirt and shorts or singlet and shorts on race day.

Darwin casual- singlet, shorts and thongs.

Darwin semi-formal-t-shirt, shorts and thongs.

Darwin formal- good t-shirt, shorts and maybe sandals.

Darwin is a top spot, if you get up there early or staying after the racing don't forget to allow time for Mindill beach market(Thursday and Sunday night), Stokes Hill Wharf or Cullen Bay for the restaurants, WW2 Oil tunnels, harbour cruise or some fishing tours etc.

Down the Stuart Highway you can still see the remains of the WW2 aerodromes and mlitary bases, a bit of history that a lot us weren't tuaght at school!
I second all that. Having been to Darwin for the first time last year, you've got to get out and see it and the surrounds. I went to the Mary river on a fishing charter, plus the Arafura sea. It's all awesome.

Quote:
If time permits spend some time out in Kakadu, and take a scenic flight. Just beware the owner of Kakadu Air Services is very a dedicated motor racing enthusiast and HQ racer at Hidden Valley!
Ah, does the owner of Kakadu Air Services fly a King Air 350 or similar?
Old 5 Jun 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2476228)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plebs

Does anyone know whether many plebian officials turn up to the Chief Ministers do at Parliament House on the Friday night?? What dress code?

I will be travelling light and I don't think I can fit a tuxedo into my small bag
Old 7 Jun 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2476833)   #16
JH355902
Rookie

JH355902 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does anyone know whether many plebian officials turn up to the Chief Ministers do at Parliament House on the Friday night?? What dress code?

I will be travelling light and I don't think I can fit a tuxedo into my small bag
Collared shirt, long pants, shoes - no shorts is appropriate.
A few speeches but fairly informal - worth a visit.
Old 7 Jun 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2476937)   #17
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH355902 View Post
Collared shirt, long pants, shoes - no shorts is appropriate.
A few speeches but fairly informal - worth a visit.
Thanks V much...socks optional
Old 8 Jun 2009, 08:54 (Ref:2477508)   #18
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couple of other things to do in Darwin,

1.East Point military museum,

2.the aviation museum,

3. historic car collection at Fannie Bay in the old Qantas hangar on what was the original civilian aerodrome,

4. NT musem at Fannie Bay visit the Cyclone Tracey exhibt and also check the crocodile that was caught in a billabong east of Darwin,

5. Crocodylus park,

6. Take in a Darwin sunset, free every night and best viewed while taking in a cold ale after a hard day watching the V8's.

Another place for a meal is the sailing club at Fannie Bay.

F J Nedos, no Kakadu Bob doesn't own a Kingair 350 unless he his keeping it a secret! No just Cessna C207/210 and the GA Airvans.

Mr Crompton remarked on v8extra, that Darwin is his favourite round.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2477533)   #19
Kingair
Veteran

To ensure a continous leave pass to attend motor-racing events etc, one could always visit Paspaley Pearls in the Darwin CBD, to keep the mistress/girlfriend/little lady/domestic engineer happy!
Old 9 Jun 2009, 00:15 (Ref:2478028)   #20
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:
Mr Crompton remarked on V8Xtra, that Darwin is his favourite round.
Who doesn't like the Darwin round?
Old 9 Jun 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2478263)   #21
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Thankee

Quote:
Couple of other things to do in Darwin,

1.East Point military museum,

2.the aviation museum,

3. historic car collection at Fannie Bay in the old Qantas hangar on what was the original civilian aerodrome,

4. NT musem at Fannie Bay visit the Cyclone Tracey exhibt and also check the crocodile that was caught in a billabong east of Darwin,

5. Crocodylus park,

6. Take in a Darwin sunset, free every night and best viewed while taking in a cold ale after a hard day watching the V8's.

Another place for a meal is the sailing club at Fannie Bay.

To ensure a continous leave pass to attend motor-racing events etc, one could always visit Paspaley Pearls in the Darwin CBD, to keep the mistress/girlfriend/little lady/domestic engineer happy!
Thanks Kingair...but it is costing me a bomb already without investing in the pearl trade!!

There is another car and aircraft Museum closer in to town...near Parap? nah probably the same one.

You won't get me near a crock-agator for love nor money...they have been around too long to mess with

Will investigate the sailing club...something very peaceful about having an evening meal overlooking the water (especially after being forced to listen to those noisy V8s all day )
Old 9 Jun 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2478407)   #22
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
Quote:
Thanks Kingair...but it is costing me a bomb already without investing in the pearl trade!!

There is another car and aircraft Museum closer in to town...near Parap? nah probably the same one. )
Yep one and the same.

Quote:
You won't get me near a crock-agator for love nor money...they have been around too long to mess with

Have a look at Crocosaurus cove in Mitchell street (nightclub strip). At least there they are behind glass.

[COLOR=red]
Quote:
Will investigate the sailing club...something very peaceful about having an evening meal overlooking the water (especially after being forced to listen to those noisy V8s all day
Or even better the Trailer Boat Club right next door.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 05:35 (Ref:2478890)   #23
Kingair
Veteran

The aviation museum is on the Stuart Highway on the south side of Darwin Aerodrome, complete with the USAF B-52 Bomber.

275 GTB-4 a leave pass isn't cheap and considering that Darwin is holding the Australian Sprintcars Titles next year, could a be a cheap investment!
Old 10 Jun 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2479082)   #24
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Yep one and the same.

Have a look at Crocosaurus cove in Mitchell street (nightclub strip). At least there they are behind glass.

Or even better the Trailer Boat Club right next door.
Quote:
The aviation museum is on the Stuart Highway on the south side of Darwin Aerodrome, complete with the USAF B-52 Bomber.

275 GTB-4 a leave pass isn't cheap and considering that Darwin is holding the Australian Sprintcars Titles next year, could a be a cheap investment!
Thanks Fellas (I assume you are Fellas!!!)...heard it was 32 big degrees today in Darwin whilst we had -3 with a windchill to die for (literally!!).

Sprintcars are good at any venue
Old 10 Jun 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2479097)   #25
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
Quote:
Thanks Fellas (I assume you are Fellas!!!)...heard it was 32 big degrees today in Darwin whilst we had -3 with a windchill to die for (literally!!).

Sprintcars are good at any venue
Bloody cold tonight though, 17deg.

The aviation museum is pretty good if yu are into aviation.

Sprintcars 27-29 May 2010. Can't wait. Here