Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Jun 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3094866)   #1
FalkenALMS
Racer

FalkenALMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFalkenALMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Falken Tire Discussion and Q&A

arakis suggested a few weeks ago that we start our own thread to answer any questions or just keep an open dialog. We received permission from the mods (Thanks, Mods!) and will try to make this thread the least amount of spammy as possible!

I'll start by answering the two most asked questions, that we get just about every day.
1) Yes, Falken Tire would like to eventually lead to a two-car team in ALMS. When? That has yet to be determined. It depends on many factors, including but not limited to money, tire and team development and resources.
2) Yes, Le Mans is also a goal, but again, when is to be determined. To effectively prepare for Le Mans, a team should dedicate about three years to build up to it (and at least $3 million, if you want a good shot). The track is unlike any other, and being such a new sports car team, that preparation would be a lot of Le Mans-specific development. Le Mans is another caliber of race, and when Falken goes, we would want to be as prepared as possible. So keep cheering us on and stay tuned!

As always, we welcome your discussion, feedback and, of course, questions!

On a more specific note, we've also got a project in the works and would love to hear from you, the fans. What are some things you've always wanted to know about the creation, development & logistics for the for the tires of Falken's ALMS team? Let's hear your questions and I'm going to take the tire-specific ones to use in a later feature. (oh the suspense!)

Last edited by MagnetON; 19 Jun 2012 at 14:13. Reason: Moderators: This thread has been pre-approved.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3094876)   #2
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have three questions:
1. Last year the Falken tires were fantastic in the wet. Was this due to the tire construction or rubber compound or both?
2. How are developments going on the dry tire and how do you compare your current dry tires with those of the competition?
3. When can we expect to see Team Falken Tire and Porsche Part II on your blog?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3094880)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think we will see Falken there until the new Porsche is out and developed .

Is Falken primarily a Porsche driven team ?

Might there be a possibility of Falken moving up a groove to P1 when Porsche start delivering customer , I believe they will , but when is entirely another question .

Might we see Falken considering a change of chassis mark in the interim ?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3094890)   #4
FalkenALMS
Racer

FalkenALMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFalkenALMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, Spyderman. I'll use questions 1 & 2 for our upcoming feature. (by the way, Falken's tires are still fantastic in the wet. At Long Beach practice in the rain this year, we were in first overall for the majority of the session!)

As for Part II of the Team Falken Tire and Porsche blog, it's in the final stages of approval right now. Before posting something that goes so in depth to the operation, we want to make sure all parties are okay with all the details. Hopefully we'll have it for you soon! (For those who missed Part I, here it is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I have three questions:
1. Last year the Falken tires were fantastic in the wet. Was this due to the tire construction or rubber compound or both?
2. How are developments going on the dry tire and how do you compare your current dry tires with those of the competition?
3. When can we expect to see Team Falken Tire and Porsche Part II on your blog?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3094896)   #5
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
I know that the owner of Falken tire is Sumitomo lubber Co.,Ltd.
Sumitomo rubber is managing Dunlop Japan, too.
Is racing tire development of Super GT (by Dunlop Japan) linked with motor sports activity of Falken USA?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3094898)   #6
FalkenALMS
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Is Falken primarily a Porsche driven team ?
The ALMS Team Falken Tire buys the race car and parts from Porsche. Porsche is on hand to assist if needed, but the team is run and operated by Falken Tire and Walker Racing.

Quote:
Might we see Falken considering a change of chassis mark in the interim ?
Are you referring to this 6 week "Le Mans" break?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 15:14 (Ref:3094900)   #7
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember reading about your team on Speedhunters a few weeks ago, and it's great to have another team/driver/rep on the forum.

I'll shoot a few:
  1. How did the Speedhunters partnership come together?
  2. What is the team's favourite track?
  3. What data/knowledge is taken from the racing tyres put into road car tyres that an average person can buy on the market?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3094913)   #8
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I want to second The Badger's question: How likely is it that Falken will move up to P1 when Porsche starts manufacturing prototypes for 2014?

I'd love to see it Falken compete with Michelin and Dunlop in the prototype classes, and I'd love to see the Falken colors on a Porsche P1, but i'd still be a fan if you guys stayed in GT. Just wondering if there were any rumors you might hint at.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3095430)   #9
FalkenALMS
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
I remember reading about your team on Speedhunters a few weeks ago, and it's great to have another team/driver/rep on the forum.

I'll shoot a few:
  2. What is the team's favourite track?
  3. What data/knowledge is taken from the racing tyres put into road car tyres that an average person can buy on the market?
The Speedhunters guys are GREAT and their coverage of events is fantastic. We're thrilled to be able to work with them.

1. That was before my time, but I'm waiting an answer from Falken Tire Corporate for that one (unless Speedhunters would like to answer in the meantime)
2. Hm. Tough one. That's like asking who your favorite child is. Obviously, Mid Ohio and Baltimore have a special place in our hearts, being our two wins of 2011. Then you have the classic tracks like Mazda Raceway, Road America and Lime Rock, and the challenging endurance tracks like Sebring and Road Atlanta. Bryan Sellers doesn't have a favorite, and their does Wolf Henzler, but Wolf says that Nurburgring is one of his favorites.
3. I'll take that final Q and use it in our upcoming tire feature. Thanks!
Old 20 Jun 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3095456)   #10
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkenALMS View Post
Are you referring to this 6 week "Le Mans" break?
No .

I mean change of brand . I realise that the 997 has a few more waivers while opperating in the ALMS series , restrictor size I believe , but its not looking so good in the WEC or Le Mans .

So I feel that Falken wouldnt want to do Le Mans in 2013 , but might wait for the new chassis in 2014 .
Old 20 Jun 2012, 16:05 (Ref:3095536)   #11
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Speedhunters guys are GREAT and their coverage of events is fantastic. We're thrilled to be able to work with them.

1. That was before my time, but I'm waiting an answer from Falken Tire Corporate for that one (unless Speedhunters would like to answer in the meantime)
2. Hm. Tough one. That's like asking who your favorite child is. Obviously, Mid Ohio and Baltimore have a special place in our hearts, being our two wins of 2011. Then you have the classic tracks like Mazda Raceway, Road America and Lime Rock, and the challenging endurance tracks like Sebring and Road Atlanta. Bryan Sellers doesn't have a favorite, and their does Wolf Henzler, but Wolf says that Nurburgring is one of his favorites.
3. I'll take that final Q and use it in our upcoming tire feature. Thanks!
Indeed they are, and if it was not for Speedhunters I think I would only be watching touring cars...

I've been to the Nürburgring once, sadly we couldn't go around the track because Audi was running a test day or something of the sort so we went around the museum and the pit lane, but then again I'm sure the Mondeo my dad had at the time would need some more power to make it worth it. If I was ever in the States first track I would head to would be Laguna Seca just for the corkscrew.

No problem, I've always found the relationship between road cars and race cars to be interesting.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3095538)   #12
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
then again I'm sure the Mondeo my dad had at the time would need some more power to make it worth it.
I don't know...I've been round in a 100hp Clio and that was quick enough to be interesting (of course, the Clio weighs next to nothing compared to a Mondeo )
Old 20 Jun 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3095568)   #13
FalkenALMS
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I want to second The Badger's question: How likely is it that Falken will move up to P1 when Porsche starts manufacturing prototypes for 2014?

I'd love to see it Falken compete with Michelin and Dunlop in the prototype classes, and I'd love to see the Falken colors on a Porsche P1, but i'd still be a fan if you guys stayed in GT. Just wondering if there were any rumors you might hint at.
Official answer from Falken Tire Corporation: As of right now, Falken is focusing on the GT class of competition and we do not plan on moving our focus any time in the foreseeable future.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 17:26 (Ref:3095570)   #14
FalkenALMS
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
I know that the owner of Falken tire is Sumitomo lubber Co.,Ltd.
Sumitomo rubber is managing Dunlop Japan, too.
Is racing tire development of Super GT (by Dunlop Japan) linked with motor sports activity of Falken USA?
The motorsports development of the Dunlop brand in Japan is managed out of the same tech center as the Falken program, however, given the difference in rules and regulations from Super GT to ALMS GT, there is not a huge carryover of technology that can be applied to both programs.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3095571)   #15
FalkenALMS
Racer

Quote:
Falken had an existing relationship with Electronic Arts and in the early days of the speedhunters.com site, Falken saw the potential in the site and decided to form an official relationship.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3095577)   #16
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Official answer from Falken Tire Corporation: As of right now, Falken is focusing on the GT class of competition and we do not plan on moving our focus any time in the foreseeable future.
Probably better, you get more road car relevant data from racing road cars, then prototypes..
Quote:
The motorsports development of the Dunlop brand in Japan is managed out of the same tech center as the Falken program, however, given the difference in rules and regulations from Super GT to ALMS GT, there is not a huge carryover of technology that can be applied to both programs.
The Dunlop tires are used by BMW in the ALMS, and the JMW motorstort team in the ACO GET, is there any carryover between falken and dunlop
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3095580)   #17
FalkenALMS
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
is there any carryover between falken and dunlop
VERY little. The cars have different aero, and therefore put different kinds of stresses on the tires.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3095587)   #18
FalkenALMS
Racer

Quote:
No .

I mean change of brand . I realise that the 997 has a few more waivers while opperating in the ALMS series , restrictor size I believe , but its not looking so good in the WEC or Le Mans .
Falken Tire is currently in strong support of the Porsche brand in the ALMS GT class. (link to Falken Tire/Porsche blog if anyone missed it: http://bit.ly/KPGlJd)
Old 20 Jun 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3095637)   #19
The Badger
Veteran

Good , Im glad to hear that ..... honestly .
Old 20 Jun 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3095682)   #20
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will pose a question.

Let's say that Porsche releases the new 991 RSR for customers next year. Have you discussed running one or would you stick with your current 997 for 2013. I can see monetarily why this may be hard to justify seeing as how you just purchased a new car and also understand that there are a lot of what ifs with this question. Just curious if there is a budget that you are aware of for the new model come next year.

Thanks!
Old 21 Jun 2012, 07:36 (Ref:3095798)   #21
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a rumor that the 991R is being tested ar Nardo.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3095943)   #22
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope it's true Spyderman. We could use some pictures to pore over. Here's to a better 2013. It can't come soon enough.

On a side note. I will be going to the Porsche and Mercedes museums in a few weeks time. Let me know if there is a specific car or cars I can photograph for you. I'm going to do some major damage to my wallet at the Porsche gift shop.

Old 21 Jun 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3095950)   #23
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Me too! I really hope it’s true.
Thank you for your kind offer. I love them all (although I have a special place in my heart for all motorsport Porsches)
I really hope you have an excellent time and enjoy every minute of your trip.

Are you also going to the factory?
Old 21 Jun 2012, 14:01 (Ref:3095965)   #24
porman
Veteran

I might take a picture or two of their motorsports offerings.

I may have take a rain-check on a factory tour as I am visiting with my in-laws which includes two women whom have absolutely no interest in cars. I'm sure they will be ready to vacate the premises after having spent at-least 4 hours at the museum alone. I heard that there is a descent strip for the girls to do some shopping close-by. Just leave me for the day at the factory.

Wish me luck!
Old 21 Jun 2012, 14:19 (Ref:3095975)   #25
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Ah! I wish you all the best of luck. You have my full support and sympathy.
BTW - The restaurant in the Museum is supposed to be quite good too.