Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Oct 2012, 05:10 (Ref:3157304)   #1
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New CEO @ CAMS?

Anyone interested in the CEO job at CAMS following the resignation of David Morgan?
Old 25 Oct 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3157327)   #2
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've said for years that it is a poisoned chalice.

Anyway, I hear that a head hunted replacement will be announced tomorrow morning (26/10/2012).
Old 25 Oct 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3157376)   #3
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it to be Tony Cochrane - LOL
Old 26 Oct 2012, 01:07 (Ref:3157766)   #4
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eugene Arocca

Former CEO of North Melbourne Football Club
Old 26 Oct 2012, 01:15 (Ref:3157767)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty05 View Post
Eugene Arocca

Former CEO of North Melbourne Football Club
Is that an educated guess?
Old 26 Oct 2012, 01:52 (Ref:3157778)   #6
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Is that an educated guess?
Nah, it's what I've heard
Old 26 Oct 2012, 02:00 (Ref:3157780)   #7
JoyRide
Rookie

JoyRide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1226503730547
Old 26 Oct 2012, 02:07 (Ref:3157786)   #8
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Speedcafe
http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/10/26/...d-as-cams-ceo/

At least I haven't ended up with egg on face.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 02:20 (Ref:3157793)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Combined with a strong interest in motor sport, his experience and ability ensure that he is a perfect fit to take CAMS down the strategic path that the Board has set out.”
from the speed cafe article

anyone know what that interest is?
Old 26 Oct 2012, 06:15 (Ref:3157830)   #10
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll have a strong interest now. Doesn't matter two bits what his previous personal interest in the sport was/is.

If his obvious sporting/ commercial strengths are allowed to develop viable CAMS business programs without the burdens of cronyism and board interference, we might just be on a winner.

Time will tell
Old 26 Oct 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3158039)   #11
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was waiting for a tram in Burke st when some guy ran across the road to tell me. This is big news. Arrocca is one of the most sought after sports administrators in the country, his credentials are impeccable and his connections highly impressive.
Even if he knows nothing about motorsport he will be a massive asset for the sport at the top level into the future.
This is clearly the biggest coup CAMS has pulled of in over a decade and reflects very well on the sport at the top level.
Of course below the top level, just what it means is yet to be seen.
I will be on the phone Monday to CAMS to try and get him on the show ASAP but somehow I doubt he'll be available.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3158243)   #12
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably needs a week or two to meet his troops and see who's who in the zoo.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3158253)   #13
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't sure about the appointment in the first place, my first thought was "Not a footy clown" but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
I was waiting for a tram in Burke st when some guy ran across the road to tell me. This is big news. Arrocca is one of the most sought after sports administrators in the country, his credentials are impeccable and his connections highly impressive.
Even if he knows nothing about motorsport he will be a massive asset for the sport at the top level into the future.
This is clearly the biggest coup CAMS has pulled of in over a decade and reflects very well on the sport at the top level.
I will be on the phone Monday to CAMS to try and get him on the show ASAP but somehow I doubt he'll be available.
The fact you're ok with it, means I'm a bit more ok about it too. I will be most interested in what effect he does have on lower level motorsport, the top level can usually take care of itself.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 00:31 (Ref:3161742)   #14
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can deny I was the guy running across the road !!!

Remember Eugene as a legal eagle before he got a gig at Collingwood. Had an interesting time at the Pies when they dropped $8mil on a couple of pubs, was overlooked for the CEO role in a management reshuffle & ended up moving across town to the CEO position at North Melbourne, a significantly smaller club than the Collingwood market leader.
Under Eugene North Melbourne survived is the best way I'd put it.

Not surprised the NRL are battling to find a CEO, cupboard might be bare.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3169800)   #15
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New CAMS CEO Eugene Arocca on In Pit Lane Nov 27.

Spent a half hour with the new CAMS CEO today and you can see it this Tuesday night on the final edition of In Pit Lane for 2012.
In the interview Mr Arocca speaks of how he came to get the job, his early days attending the Adelaide F1 and later the Gold Coast with his mates.
He makes no secret of the challenges at CAMS and announces that one of his first jobs has been to conduct a complete review into the running of CAMS and how it and the sport can survive and prosper into the future.
He was especially keen to try and get younger people into the sport.
After the show the full interview will be put on the In Pit Lane You Tube Channel. www.youtube.com/inpitlane
Also on Tuesday we'll preview one of my favourite events of the year the annual Australasian Formula SAE competition at Werribee and we'll have action from the CUE One Hour Sportscar race and the Ramada Resort 50K Plate from Island magic this weekend.
Plus more noisy, wild and crazy heavy rock from Melbourne band Voodoocain.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 07:32 (Ref:3170112)   #16
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
He was especially keen to try and get younger people into the sport.
What, as competitors? That would seem like a naive ambition.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 00:05 (Ref:3170389)   #17
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think an emphasis on getting the sport to appeal to a younger audience/competitor group is a must.
Other than the "Rock concert" events have a look at the crowd. The only under 30s are the kids dragged along by their dads. We don't seem to be converting them into long term spectators.
On the competitor angle just compare the number of youngsters on MotoX bikes to those in Karts. Four wheels is missing out somewhere.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3170491)   #18
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
I think an emphasis on getting the sport to appeal to a younger audience/competitor group is a must.
Firstly, they have to acknowledge and accept that chicks, especially young ones, don't like motorsport. Don't bother trying to get them to come.

Quote:
The only under 30s are the kids dragged along by their dads. We don't seem to be converting them into long term spectators.
Guys in their late teens-20s only like looking at one thing more than motorsport. You now what it is.

Quote:
On the competitor angle just compare the number of youngsters on MotoX bikes to those in Karts. Four wheels is missing out somewhere.
Yeah, the karting community is doing a great job stuffing itself up. Ridiculous, that some people spend more money on karts than what car competitors do. Ideally, manufacturers should not be allowed to exploit competitors like that, if those competitors are interested in winning. It should not cost so much more to have a shot at winning. To those who do spend trillions on karts, should be told to **** off cars.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 02:55 (Ref:3171486)   #19
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Firstly, they have to acknowledge and accept that chicks, especially young ones, don't like motorsport. Don't bother trying to get them to come.

What sort of generic one size fits all crap is that!
Old 27 Nov 2012, 00:34 (Ref:3171969)   #20
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Geez, a few of my female friends wouldn't want to read that
Old 27 Nov 2012, 23:39 (Ref:3172380)   #21
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With James Strong being announced today as Chairman of V8 Supercars. Could we see some new sponsors coming on board with his connections.

Stories here:
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/champi...3/default.aspx

And here:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/11/28/...-new-chairman/
Old 28 Nov 2012, 07:28 (Ref:3172443)   #22
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Geez, a few of my female friends wouldn't want to read that
I remember having a spat about this with bella, however long ago it was. Do I have to always qualify it by saying "Chicks, except for Trevor's female friends, bella, her friends, and some others, don't like motorsport"?
Old 28 Nov 2012, 07:34 (Ref:3172446)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I remember having a spat about this with bella, however long ago it was. Do I have to always qualify it by saying "Chicks, except for Trevor's female friends, bella, her friends, and some others, don't like motorsport"?
during next year i will attend with 3 different females aged between 16 and 24. All will go because they want too.

I think you generalise
Old 28 Nov 2012, 07:59 (Ref:3172450)   #24
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Anyway, I listened to the full interview just now. I'm a bit more upbeat about the appointment. Regarding "young people", I wasn't thinking as young as u16s, I was thinking late teens-early 20s, so it'll be interesting to see what's come out of that. I'm not sure what he'll do about attracting young/women, I hope it isn't a major priority, or a disproportionate one.

Based on the interview, I would expect bigger awareness/use, or rejuvanation of Speed-Auto test events. Even the less committed motorsport fans have little/no idea of these disciplines. You can't have the guys on speedweek say "Swifts/Saloons only cost $30,000, so it's affordable motorsport" Sorry to the speedweek guys reading this.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 08:26 (Ref:3172459)   #25
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
God, I hate it when you quote me. Often, when I quote you, I think to myself "This will be the last time!"

Quote:
during next year i will attend with 3 different females aged between 16 and 24. All will go because they want too.
Clearly, you didn't get the post. But I suppose your examples more than counters my experience of turning up to the Sandown Shannons meet on the saturday. There are 50 people in the stand, 45 of them are blokes. Of the 5 chicks, 4 of them may be either be tagging along with their partner, or are a partner of a competitor and are watching them race, then they leave.

The the following day for Island Magic. I'll make my way around the circuit and there'll be a bunch of GUYS chatting amongst each other in between taking photos. Then I go around the circuit even further and there'll be more GUYS doing what the other GUYS were doing (Including Brett). Some of them will have their partners with them, who are not really paying attention, but they are are part of a relationship. Go round even further, and there'll be more GUYS (by themselves or in a group). Go around the track even further, I'll see a bunch of women (just women, no partners) also keenly paying attention to the racing.*

Quote:
I think you generalise
Really???

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/generalise?s=t

Whaddaya ya know? I think you might be right this time

*That last bit was a bit of ********.