Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 21 Aug 2007, 09:53 (Ref:1993422)   #26
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Sprint races?

500km races?

I thought these races were part of the Le Mans ENDURANCE Series?
Old 21 Aug 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1993465)   #27
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Sportscar racing is all about endurance ..... not sprints !!!
Old 21 Aug 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1993578)   #28
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Generally I'd agree with you on that, but I would not be oppossed to an occasional flat-out sprint race.
And maybe this is just what the series needs to gain popularity. Right now only true gearheads know about the LMS and I think that should change.
Look at the ALMS: They "support" the IRL and CCWS on some dates in order to gain exposure, maybe LMS should do the same. That's why I think that a sprint race at the Norisring (remember, we had this before) would be a good move on the German market, even more so if the series somehow managed to get a decent TV coverage (live???) for that race.
Maybe they could do the same in the UK at a BTCC event. I don't think that 1/3 sprint races would distort the endurance aspect of the series too much...
Old 21 Aug 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1993600)   #29
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Generally I'd agree with you on that, but I would not be oppossed to an occasional flat-out sprint race.
And maybe this is just what the series needs to gain popularity. Right now only true gearheads know about the LMS and I think that should change.
Look at the ALMS: They "support" the IRL and CCWS on some dates in order to gain exposure, maybe LMS should do the same. That's why I think that a sprint race at the Norisring (remember, we had this before) would be a good move on the German market, even more so if the series somehow managed to get a decent TV coverage (live???) for that race.
Maybe they could do the same in the UK at a BTCC event. I don't think that 1/3 sprint races would distort the endurance aspect of the series too much...
THe best way to get exposure in Germany would be to link up with DTM which regularly gets 90,000 spectators and with Audi being so strong in DTM their is a potential connection.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 13:00 (Ref:1993609)   #30
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Where for the BTCC? It would mean culling Clios/SEATs/FRenault/FBMW/Porsches (at least 3) or an evening race. Thruxton (sadly), Croft, quite probably Oulton, Snetterton (until the redevelopment is finished), and Knockhill aren't doable at all, meaning Rockingham, Brands and Donington.

Brands can't do evening races, Rockingham would be good and they already go to Donington. But will Rockingham be kept on the schedule or will Silverstone return?

Ideally it would be a coheadline with the WTCC, both of which would be Europe only. Shame the FIA mandate pointless flyaways to call it a world championship.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 13:18 (Ref:1993629)   #31
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
THe best way to get exposure in Germany would be to link up with DTM which regularly gets 90,000 spectators and with Audi being so strong in DTM their is a potential connection.
Norisring would necessarily mean DTM as that's the only race weekend they have there.

Quote:
and they already go to Donington
They went to Donington last year, this year it's Silverstone. To limit the paddock space used, I'd make the sprint(=support) rounds LMP-only, as the Protos are clearly the main show in the LMS.

Last edited by Speed-King; 21 Aug 2007 at 13:22.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1993644)   #32
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no sprint races please..next thing you know you are asking for mandatory pit stops...
Old 21 Aug 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1993689)   #33
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Sportscar racing is all about endurance ..... not sprints !!!
During the glory days of sportscar racing (Group C/IMSA) there were also shorter races. Also you had the populair DRM. So sportscar racing all about endurance is not true.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 14:55 (Ref:1993702)   #34
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The Norisring was also refered to as a money race with a large cash win ..... thats why it was very popular . And it wasnt part of the world championship either ... it was however part or the german series .
Old 21 Aug 2007, 14:58 (Ref:1993704)   #35
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The Norisring was also refered to as a money race with a large cash win ..... thats why it was very popular . And it wasnt part of the world championship either ... it was however part or the german series .
There were more shorter races besides Norisring.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 15:17 (Ref:1993720)   #36
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Norisring was in 86 and 87 part of the World Championship.
IIRC they had a cash race("Geldrennen") and a points paying race, one on Saturday, one on Sunday.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 16:29 (Ref:1993782)   #37
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heck, they even had hill climbs as part of the World Championship of Sportscars back in the glory days! I think a diversity of events helps get more people involved and makes it more interesting than just having one type of event. However, if one event type is going to dominate, then the 6 hour format is a good one.

DK
Old 21 Aug 2007, 16:32 (Ref:1993788)   #38
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
And they give away 50,000 tickets, plus heavy promotion, which is one of the reasons only two manufactuers compete, and seemingly every season it's on the brink of collapse., despite appearances.

One of the best ideas is to link up with Renault World Series who heavily promote their meetings, as at Monza and Spa.

Last edited by JAG; 21 Aug 2007 at 16:37.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 07:28 (Ref:1994288)   #39
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Clearly, from the preceeding posts, we have two different opinions here. Some want to see sprints, others don't.

It's telling that this thread was named the Le Mans Series 2008, omitting the word Endurance. However, surely endurance is what this is all about. The words Le Mans mean endurance - that's what LM is all about. My guess is that most of us became interested in our sport because of a 24 hour race, not a 300 mile dash.

If sprint races are what interest you, go and watch the Max and Bernie show - motor racing for people who don't understand racing.

The LMES is all about the endurance of the drivers, the cars and the team as a whole. It's about race strategy. Ideally it would be about driving in varying conditions including darkness.

By all means have a sprint race series if your attention span is at the level of the Sunday afternoon armchair children, but don't use the words Le Mans or Endurance.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 08:32 (Ref:1994329)   #40
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I remember Porsche 917s and GT40s et al in the 60s in BOAC 500K races!!!
Come one. There's room for some variation on the theme.
Let's get a sprint race on a GP track, see how close an R10 is to an F1 car...
Let's have a lot of 6 hour/1000K races. Then throw in several shorter races supporting NATIONAL events, such as DRM/BTCC etc? Imagine an LMES/BGT/F3 event? The LMES get Saturday, starting around 3/4PM, so you get a finish in the DARK. Late start for the marshals next day. That kind of slots neatly into Silverstone in september, no?
Add a fairground and party event on the infield, with loads of camping space, you have a FAMILY event.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 09:33 (Ref:1994367)   #41
Le Vieux
Veteran

I agree, there's room for some variation - but don't call it an ENDURANCE series, or pretend that it has something to do with Le Mans. LMES 2008 should be just that

500 miles, not kilometres, surely......? The point being that in the quaint english way, 500 miles was a nice round figure vaguely near the 1000kms that everyone else ran, giving a race time on the relatively tight Brands Hatch track that was roughly equivalent to the time taken to complete a 1000km race elsewhere. I seem to recall that it was an either/or race: Either 500 miles or 6 hours, whichever occurred soonest.

Fairground on the infield, lots of camping space: you forgot the smell of Gauloises, the frites and merguez stands! We already have these in France in mid-June.

We don't need sprint races to compare F1 Scalextric cars with an R10. The comparsion can be made any year at, for example, Silverstone i.a., with the GP and the 1000k race. I recall that during Group C days, the yardstick was usually that the leading Group C cars would post a better qualifying time than the backmarkers in the previous F1 race. I haven't checked recently, but it's probably not much different now.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 10:34 (Ref:1994398)   #42
Speed-King
Veteran

*cough, cough* It wasn't us who dropped the "E" from LMES, it was the series organisation.

Just look at www.lemans-series.com
Old 22 Aug 2007, 10:55 (Ref:1994403)   #43
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
Imagine an LMES/BGT/F3 event? The LMES get Saturday, starting around 3/4PM, so you get a finish in the DARK.
That happened at Silverstone in '05 and if it weren't for the weather then it would have been to wonderful effect. The LMES was on the Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday was a proper full day of top national racing with the F3/GT package. Now THAT was good value for money!
Old 22 Aug 2007, 11:14 (Ref:1994418)   #44
Le Vieux
Veteran

If you google for LMES, it directs you to www.lmes.com. I've always thought that the "e" stood for endurance.

On that web site we find details of the Michelin Endurance Challenge and also the opening words of the organisers themselves, when explaining the rationale behind the series: "L'Endurance, c'est Le Mans" which I don't need to translate.

We might want more/shorter/different races, but that's not what Le Mans is about, nor, I suggest, what the LM(E)S is about.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 11:22 (Ref:1994425)   #45
Speed-King
Veteran

And when you go to www.cart.com you end up on the Champcar website, even though CART is now dead for four years...
They kept the old URL, so what?

I am with you that the LMS should be predominantely 1000k enduros, but I don't think that this should be a dogma.
Just look at the ALMS, they race mostly 2.45hr sprints and are still allowed to call themselves a Le Mans series. They even did a 90 minutes race at Long Beach.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 19:49 (Ref:2006352)   #46
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LNT testing the waters for 08 in a Zytek?? link

L.P.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 20:46 (Ref:2006390)   #47
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That baby is still up for grabs so why not?
Old 8 Sep 2007, 13:56 (Ref:2006846)   #48
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It will be very interesting to see how entries pan out in 2008.

The P1 teams know what they are up against with Peugeot and likely Audi while in P2 RS Spyders are on their way.

Me thinks a number of teams will be stepping up their game just as the ALMS regulars have had to with Audi and Penske.

It will also be interesting to see if any big hitters from other series come into the LMS.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 19:52 (Ref:2007036)   #49
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
It will be very interesting to see how entries pan out in 2008.

The P1 teams know what they are up against with Peugeot and likely Audi while in P2 RS Spyders are on their way.

Me thinks a number of teams will be stepping up their game just as the ALMS regulars have had to with Audi and Penske.

It will also be interesting to see if any big hitters from other series come into the LMS.
There's definitely going to be a lot of new chassis purchasing. The Courage LC75 with the Acura aero updates might be a strong chassis with a capable engine package.

BMS Scuderia Italia plan on getting 2 RS Spyders.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 23:02 (Ref:2007156)   #50
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
There's definitely going to be a lot of new chassis purchasing. The Courage LC75 with the Acura aero updates might be a strong chassis with a capable engine package.

BMS Scuderia Italia plan on getting 2 RS Spyders.
What leads you to conclude that Courage gets any of Acura's body updates? Did you read that somewhere?

Acura purchases Courage tubs, then builds their car around them. That's the extent of the deal, I think. Did I also miss the BMS Scuderia Italia/Porsche news?