Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 May 2015, 10:34 (Ref:3540605)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mike sitting in the pit brassiere enjoying the weather and a beer. Hope your day goes well, no idea of today's schedule. Destresing as they say. Good to chat though. I was a bit down and when the replacement diff started whining I just thought I'd bring it home hopefully. Good to get the consolation prize of 2nd in class and a champagne shower too.
Old 24 May 2015, 19:05 (Ref:3540771)   #27
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quick post with a few of the cars (I think) mentioned by Mike & Peter above - apologies for the grainy dusk / night images and the 'peering over fencing' shots. Will have a good sort out when home during the week and post a few more if I can.

First couple are Peter's Rover in his first Heritage Touring Cup race - the fifth one is him again at night in his second race.

Third one is the SLR in the evening Sixties race.

Fourth one is the 356 crossing the finishing line also in the Sixties race.

The last one is (I think) the B8 that Mike mentioned in today's CER race.
Attached Thumbnails
XT015077_10Tenths.jpg   XT015101_10Tenths.jpg   XT015578_10Tenths.jpg  

XT015814_10Tenths.jpg   XT016551_10Tenths.jpg   XT017026_10Tenths.jpg  

Old 24 May 2015, 20:31 (Ref:3540809)   #28
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interesting w/e for us.

Managed to get some quick times in, but looks like we have cracked a piston, as it has chucked the majority of its oil out. It was fine when I got out of the car....honest....dad managed to nurse it to the chequered flag.

What a great circuit though, well worth the effort.

Now Dad, if you are reading this, get back in the garage, the engine needs re-building before Dijon in 2 weeks time!!!!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 24 May 2015, 20:38 (Ref:3540815)   #29
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Why does he get all the crappy jobs.

He's older than me,well 9 days!
Old 24 May 2015, 20:41 (Ref:3540817)   #30
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Why does he get all the crappy jobs.

He's older than me,well 9 days!
The only other stuff he gets to do is chores for "team mother", so he is delighted really when HE breaks the car!!
Mag 7's #60
Old 25 May 2015, 20:28 (Ref:3541177)   #31
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Quick post with a few of the cars (I think) mentioned by Mike & Peter above - apologies for the grainy dusk / night images and the 'peering over fencing' shots. Will have a good sort out when home during the week and post a few more if I can.

The last one is (I think) the B8 that Mike mentioned in today's CER race.
Great pics Gary! While on the 'Endurance' pit wall I noticed a couple of snappers taking pics through the fence opposite, which had been prised apart at one point so that lenses could focus through the gap.....

That Corvette did the usual V8 thing when the SLR was trying to get past- blasting past on the straights then getting in the way everywhere else! That is indeed John's B8- originally the Road & Racing Accesories (Holborn) car. (Note spelling!) Unfortunately the CER class structure doesn't suit the little Chevron, putting it in with later and quicker sports racers, but P12 and first B8 in the race was a good result. Altogether a satisfactory weekend, even the weather was better than expected!
Old 26 May 2015, 04:59 (Ref:3541272)   #32
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Mike. I started sorted through photos last night on the ferry - I'm typing this as we head into Hull. Think I managed to get a few more of the 356 than I realised so will post some of that and others that may be of interest when I get home.

Good weekend, prefer the Six Hours though. Too much filling in between races at the Classic with car parades bit like Le Mans Classic in that respect, same organisers as we discussed. Still good though and no doubt the club drivers enjoy taking to the circuit.
Old 26 May 2015, 05:33 (Ref:3541278)   #33
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Good weekend, prefer the Six Hours though. Too much filling in between races at the Classic with car parades bit like Le Mans Classic in that respect, same organisers as we discussed. Still good though and no doubt the club drivers enjoy taking to the circuit.
Yes, although does give us some lovely cars to look at while walking thorugh paddock! Kept the rescue crews busy as well recovering the dead ones!

My favourite club cars were a very early Old English White TR2 with aeroscreens and wheel spats, and a dark blue Grantura Mk3, with same colour wires, that was totally original in spec, although obviously restored. Belgian enthusiasts do seem to like originality, interestingly while at Barcelona few weeks ago thought same about the Spanish!

Old 26 May 2015, 06:12 (Ref:3541285)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gary thanks for the pics. Yes, I think the 6hrs beats this one for atmosphere but we can't fault the organisation. As to the parades. The vipers are quite special so it was humorous to watch one idiot in a GTSR spin repeatedly trying to get out of the chicane. Who gave him the keys to that car?
Old 26 May 2015, 07:05 (Ref:3541293)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Gary thanks for the pics. Yes, I think the 6hrs beats this one for atmosphere but we can't fault the organisation. As to the parades. The vipers are quite special so it was humorous to watch one idiot in a GTSR spin repeatedly trying to get out of the chicane. Who gave him the keys to that car?
Yes, when you think your own circuit skills aren't as honed as you would like, you only have to watch someone like that.....

BTW forgot to say thanks to the boys at CAT Racing, whoever that is, who borrowed my bucket to wash their truck and didn't return it. Hope to see you at Dijon.
Old 26 May 2015, 07:53 (Ref:3541303)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I will formally thank Louis and his team but really under pressure to finish off my law degree so reports etc. are limited. Nonetheless even with my axle woes it was great to be at my favourite circuit and the number of people from other teams and spectators who came to say hello and offer encouragement was just fantastic. I hope we can go back next year and do it Properly.
Old 26 May 2015, 08:04 (Ref:3541305)   #37
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Quote:
Think I managed to get a few more of the 356 than I realised .......
Can never have too many Gary, but then I guess I am biased!!
Mag 7's #60
Old 26 May 2015, 08:41 (Ref:3541313)   #38
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...a-Classic.html

we got our report ready, enjoy and take your time , there are several goodies in there
Old 26 May 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3541328)   #39
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Awful grid for U2TC . . . I would have done it but for budget/time having still not fully shaken Tin corner down.

70's saloons look like theryre the new tin top of choice. There are a lot of Lotus Cortinas gathering dust.
Old 26 May 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3541330)   #40
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Awful grid for U2TC . . . I would have done it but for budget/time having still not fully shaken Tin corner down.

70's saloons look like theryre the new tin top of choice. There are a lot of Lotus Cortinas gathering dust.
that is because we are all getting older, expect prewar grids anywhere to be phased out pretty soon....
Old 26 May 2015, 10:10 (Ref:3541336)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed we are, I'm struggling to keep up with the pace of development, just mentally! and increasingly see it all as a monumental waste of money.
Old 26 May 2015, 10:11 (Ref:3541337)   #42
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Indeed we are, I'm struggling to keep up with the pace of development, just mentally! and increasingly see it all as a monumental waste of money.
Hobbies tend te be expensive..
Old 26 May 2015, 10:16 (Ref:3541339)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...a-Classic.html

we got our report ready, enjoy and take your time , there are several goodies in there
20,000 spectators? The place was empty!

Your report mentions the car clubs and I think this is a good thing, especially as it tends to bring younger people along. There were many examples of father and son "teams" in MGs, Triumphs etc. Then of course we got the exotics such as loads of Ferraris and Maseratis etc.

Anyone know if the Joosen BMW sold at Bonhams? It's been hawked around for a few years now. Sadly not in its originally raced state.
Old 26 May 2015, 10:20 (Ref:3541340)   #44
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Hobbies tend to be expensive..
some more than others . . . Music has always been my first love, and its always been a paying hobby, or at least free . . . until recently anyway.
Old 26 May 2015, 10:22 (Ref:3541342)   #45
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
20,000 spectators? The place was empty!

Your report mentions the car clubs and I think this is a good thing, especially as it tends to bring younger people along. There were many examples of father and son "teams" in MGs, Triumphs etc. Then of course we got the exotics such as loads of Ferraris and Maseratis etc.

Anyone know if the Joosen BMW sold at Bonhams? It's been hawked around for a few years now. Sadly not in its originally raced state.
No sale for the BMW. The spectator numbers come from the organisers. We did not count them... and for completeness of our report, what is the chassisnumber of your Rover? is it an original TWR car?
Old 26 May 2015, 10:34 (Ref:3541346)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I wasn't complaining just amazed that we could lose that number of people in the place, demonstrates how large it is.

It's actually an original DPR car (1980), chassis No. 5. The history is that part way through 1981 British Leyland passed the contract for the works team to TWR and thus my car and the other chassis passed across to them. It's a series one not a series two.
Old 26 May 2015, 10:37 (Ref:3541347)   #47
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
I wasn't complaining just amazed that we could lose that number of people in the place, demonstrates how large it is.

It's actually an original DPR car (1980), chassis No. 5. The history is that part way through 1981 British Leyland passed the contract for the works team to TWR and thus my car and the other chassis passed across to them. It's a series one not a series two.
Thanks Peter that will help. And yes, Spa is large, you do not have to remind that to the people who have to WALK along it..
Old 26 May 2015, 11:33 (Ref:3541362)   #48
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Can never have too many Gary, but then I guess I am biased!!
Couple more then Will. Actually three although the first two are the same but one with a vintage 'colour wash' - my attempt to distract from the less than scenic fencing etc:
Attached Thumbnails
XT015439.jpg   XT015439-2.jpg   XT015534.jpg  

Old 26 May 2015, 12:14 (Ref:3541372)   #49
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
nice one, thanks Gary!
Mag 7's #60
Old 26 May 2015, 15:05 (Ref:3541419)   #50
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enjoyed the weekend, watching the Group Cs from close quarters at Eau Rouge/Raidillon was something to behold, and the Hertiage Touring Cup night race was great to watch with a beer from the Bistro roof terrace.