Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 25 May 2010, 19:01 (Ref:2698113)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
US Grand Prix- Austin (USA)

A deal has been announced.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html
Old 25 May 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2698115)   #2
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Please not another Tilkedrome! Can someone bin that man?
Old 25 May 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2698117)   #3
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why spend all that money building a new circuit when there are many fine us tracks? I know they would need changes to run off areas etc but surely that is cheaper than building an entirely new circuit. Hopefully this new track will be used by Wtcc, World GT1, Alms etc.
Old 25 May 2010, 19:20 (Ref:2698124)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux1234 View Post
Why spend all that money building a new circuit when there are many fine us tracks?
Because it's always about more than the track these days as to where a race is held. It's about, to quote the article, things like
Quote:
that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”
and
Quote:
the benefits it will bring, including local job creation, increased tourism and a significant economic impact added to our state economy. The visibility and prestige of this event will spotlight our state on an international stage.”
Not ideal from a pure racing perspective, but let's hope it will be a quality track.
Old 25 May 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2698129)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
At least a certain Jeremy Smith will be pleased.

Autosport has it now.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83873
Old 27 May 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2698946)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
At least a certain Jeremy Smith will be pleased.

Autosport has it now.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83873
I would love this of course, and so would another 200,000 people...
Old 25 May 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2698126)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon it may have something to do with the strong German connection to Texas.
Old 25 May 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2698131)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Why spend all that money building a new circuit when there are many fine us tracks? I know they would need changes to run off areas etc but surely that is cheaper than building an entirely new circuit. Hopefully this new track will be used by Wtcc, World GT1, Alms etc.
Cheaper to who? Name the track, and then tell me where the money comes for the changes required, and the sanction fee. I don't believe there is an existing track (permanent road circuit) in the US that could afford such a venture.
Old 25 May 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2698140)   #9
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Cheaper to who? Name the track, and then tell me where the money comes for the changes required, and the sanction fee. I don't believe there is an existing track (permanent road circuit) in the US that could afford such a venture.
Ok sorry mouth shut, infact i delete my account, everytime i post on here someone shoots me down, makes me out to be an idiot well bye everyone
Old 25 May 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2698143)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
everytime i post on here someone shoots me down, makes me out to be an idiot
Stick around, they'll make you a moderator!

Seriously though, it'd be a shame to lose a member.
Old 25 May 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2698145)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Ok sorry mouth shut, infact i delete my account, everytime i post on here someone shoots me down, makes me out to be an idiot well bye everyone
Happens to all of us mate, just ignore it.
Old 25 May 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2698152)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I think you took that comment too extremely. It's not an argument. I wouldn't leave because of that. The tone gets so easily misconstrued on the internet.
Old 25 May 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2698141)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Sure there are 'tracks' elsewhere. But remember that a 'track' is really just a thin ribbon of tarmac. Hardly the most expensive part of the infrastructure necessary to create a viable GP venue.
Old 25 May 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2698160)   #14
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Surely ISC could get Daytona up to standard? NASCAR ovals are much more crash-worthy than say Monaco with the SAFER barrier and there could be some interesting racing around the tightish infield track (not the 24 hour one because that'd mean > 50% on an oval which is I'm sure not what Bernie would want) and then blasting it through the oval's turns 3 & 4!

Plus being NASCAR's premier track the facilities ain't half bad either...

But this is FOM we're on about so I expect to see another cloned track unless something really special happens. All the Tilke tracks look pretty much the same with Bahrain being the exception (but that's extremely rubbish).
Old 25 May 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2698188)   #15
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
Surely ISC could get Daytona up to standard?
Maybe they could. But would they be interested in doing it? I doubt it.
Old 26 May 2010, 00:27 (Ref:2698285)   #16
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
this is exactly what i thought.
if the money was poured into Road America or even Road Atlanta, which is awesome,
or VIR or Monticello any one of these already wickedly cool tracks would grow in awesomeness- this Austin deal is just a head scratcher

but yay for a US GP!
Old 26 May 2010, 01:03 (Ref:2698291)   #17
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
this is exactly what i thought.
if the money was poured into Road America or even Road Atlanta, which is awesome,
or VIR or Monticello any one of these already wickedly cool tracks would grow in awesomeness- this Austin deal is just a head scratcher

but yay for a US GP!
If the money was poured into them, they would cease to be awesome.
Old 26 May 2010, 01:06 (Ref:2698292)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
If the money was poured into them, they would cease to be awesome.
They would lose their character and be ruined.
Old 25 May 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2698153)   #19
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Have you seen anything I haven't? I've not seen any source indicating that he's designing it.
Old 25 May 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2698158)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Have you seen anything I haven't? I've not seen any source indicating that he's designing it.
To be fair to nobster, it's a natural assumption and i have to admit that it was my first thought too.
Old 25 May 2010, 21:05 (Ref:2698205)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Which was the last non-Tilke track to enter F1?
Old 25 May 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2698208)   #22
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Which was the last non-Tilke track to enter F1?
Singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
Surely ISC could get Daytona up to standard?
Not with 33 degree banking!
Old 25 May 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2698136)   #23
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, something like this was going to happen.

Bernie, as we know, has been pursuing this for ages.

Kind of a random surprise in terms of location, but I'm not surprised that they're gonna build a brand new circuit.
Old 25 May 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2698197)   #24
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think it had to do more with who could come up with the money than anything and my gut tells me that the existing venues, couldn't.

In any case I wish them well and PLEASE don't have the race in the summer. I know all about those other hot races but I don't go to those, I will go to Austin though!
Old 25 May 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2698198)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
You can rely on Bernie to get advice from tilke regarding any track, he seems to be the resident 'adviser' to any track design.

The actual tarmac and track foundation is a small part of the overall cost of a track for F1.
Land aquisition, access roads, parking, traffic managment, grandstands (even if they are empty on race day) for the projected crowds of people, pit facilities, control tower and associated bits of technology, the list goes on....and on.
The actual track itself is about 40% of the cost.
Thats why Monticello was never a starter in real terms. It would have cost more to upgrade than they have spent already.

Indianapolis was a budget opportunity because the facilities were largely in place.
Austin is not a big city in American terms, not like Dallas-Fort Worth or Houston so I really can't see where the money is going to come from.
Thats why Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta or Road America (Elkhart Lake) never would suffice. No one would take the gamble on cost.

I don't want to disappoint anyone but do I see cloud on the horizon? Is that another Donnington looming up?
Closed Thread