Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Jun 2003, 10:52 (Ref:621608)   #1
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya

that title caught your attention eh?

he must be the only driver out there who can complete the "indy500 monaco le mans" hat-trick. does he know...does he care?!
Old 5 Jun 2003, 11:19 (Ref:621638)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have never heard him mention Le Mans, but that is not to say he doesn't keep an eye on it.

I reckon he doesn't care, but in a good way. He may well do Le Mans one day, but for the fun rather than for the hat-trick.

I'd like to see him there, sharing with Raikkonen and Alonso.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 11:22 (Ref:621641)   #3
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds good to me. I know it's an old complaint, but sometimes I REALLY wish some of the top GP guys ran in other series.

PS. How about Michael in the soon(ish)-to-be-launched Maserati!?
Old 5 Jun 2003, 11:59 (Ref:621677)   #4
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still hopeful that Villeneuve will have a crack at Le Mans once he's finished with F1 (or once F1's finished with him...)

Indy 500, CART Champion, F1 WDC - a Le Mans win would be a great way to finish his career.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 12:35 (Ref:621699)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Villeneuve has spoken of Le Mans before, and - my declining opinion of him notwithstanding - would still be a major coup for any front-running sportscar team, especially if, as I suspect, he won't be racing anywhere else in 2004.

Montoya certainly has driven some long-distance races in CART and at Indy, but I think Le Mans will be a long way off. Maybe after he's finished F1. After all, the guy just loves to race.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:00 (Ref:621740)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, you can bet your bottom dollar that if Juan Pablo does got for the treble, my receding hair will be totally grey by then.....
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:22 (Ref:621773)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
True...

My bets are on Jacques, maybe after F1...
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:27 (Ref:621778)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jacques. I don't know about. I've heard him be quite negative about Le Mans and also enthuse about it. Probably just depends what the jouralist feels like on the day!
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:53 (Ref:621823)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Montoya

Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
he must be the only driver out there who can complete the "indy500 monaco le mans" hat-trick. does he know...does he care?!
I hadn't heard about this hat-trick until Motorsport ran a Graham Hill feature last year (March-ish). I had always understood that the F1 WDC was what Graham had considered part of the hat-trick, not Monaco. That's certainly the way Mario seems to view it.

Besides, I'd bet that if you asked Juan, he'd say he's still after the second part of the triple (WDC), so don't bother him with Le Mans yet.

Jacques has been pretty specific about someday wanting the triple. He tends to include the CART championship to puff up what his accomplishments would be. Of course, he'd still be competing with Mario if that were included. I'm sure he's had a lot of beers with his buddy Eddie while talking about driving in la Sarthe...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Jun 2003, 18:08 (Ref:629688)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that LeMans is a true drivers/Teams test The team does so much in preparation communication on track and car condition and rescueing. The drivers must be placed and spaced and raced tactfully. It is a true test of evry thing we love of AutoRacing,
Now if F1 would allow for more cross driving and teams would let the driver do a stint in an enduro I bet every series could benefit. If a marlboro maserati was driven by TGF and Barrihello and badoer in a 24 hr race once how fab would that be?
sponsor and advert laws should allow for this, as it is most likely the big hurdle here.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 18:21 (Ref:629710)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After yesterday, Juan can always go to NASCAR....

I was at the "Trading Places" event at Indy yesterday...

The guy who surprised me was Jeff Gordon...he took less than a dozen laps and was running within a second of what Juan ran when he shook the Williams down for him....

I'd like to see Jeff run at LM someday as well...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 12 Jun 2003, 18:27 (Ref:629714)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They both managed to throw it off the road though!

Besides, i think Gordons best time is some 5s off last years pole...
Old 12 Jun 2003, 21:15 (Ref:629925)   #13
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey come on tho he only did a handful of laps really! a proper f1 driver would have plenty of testing! don't take what Jeff did away from him, he's far more talented than most Nascar drivers.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 21:16 (Ref:629928)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know, but we shouldn't jump to conclusions from that performance
Old 12 Jun 2003, 22:09 (Ref:630040)   #15
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
They both managed to throw it off the road though!

Besides, i think Gordons best time is some 5s off last years pole...
Michael Schumacher's best lap in '02 first practice was over 4seconds slower than his pole lap of that same year.
So considering Gordon's lack of experience with the car I would say he did a fantastic job.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 12 Jun 2003, 22:20 (Ref:630058)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was there, and I can tell you that Gordon was thrilled just to have the chance to pilot something high-tech (and he was smooth in it) and Juan was driving that 850 hp hog hard into the corners...smokin' the tires as he was braking to get into the corners...he was jamming gears and really throwing it solidly around the course....Juan is a true pro and a natural behind the wheel of anything that runs on four tires...

Juan said he had a good time...but Jeff told him up front as soon as it was over, "I'm sure my day was much more fun than yours was..."

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 12 Jun 2003, 23:49 (Ref:630101)   #17
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should have been able to run the oval, like the Winston Cup cars are built to do. Pretty cool, though.

If you are thinking of any of the above drivers for Le Mans, think of Papis. Who would have guessed he would be with the same team at Sebring and Le Mans this year?

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 13 Jun 2003, 00:01 (Ref:630106)   #18
Nick M
Rookie

Nick M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Jeff Gordon switch from open wheel racing (can't recall what series but it rings a bell) to Nascar ?

Not taking away his achievement because it sounds mightily impressive. Especially if the track was "green" and hadn't been used for a while - that probably accounts for a whole chunk of time each lap.

Tags
jpm