Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Apr 2003, 20:52 (Ref:565539)   #26
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think you can assume Jag is a rich team because the are owned by Ford. They are given a budget, not a blank check. They are certainly more well off than Minardi but I bet their budget is closer to Sauber and Renault than McLaren or Ferarri.

I've been a Jag backer since they were Stewart, and they are one reason I'm back to watching F1 since Bernie made it clear he did not care about US fans in the early 90's. I hope their progress continues, if that means developing the current design for another year, that's A-OK with me.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 21:51 (Ref:565619)   #27
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Are you sure that their budget is like Sauber or Renault? Remember, they supply customer engines to two teams. Where is that list of F1 budgets...
Old 11 Apr 2003, 00:00 (Ref:565708)   #28
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Ford must really be hurting.
After having recently spent some time working for a Ford-owned company, I can tell you that Ford are doing everything they can to save money.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 01:06 (Ref:565743)   #29
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil C
(Tell me "Avs" does not refer to the Colorado Avalanche...please! Go Red Wings!)

There's nothing in the rules demanding a new car every year, and I see no reason why fans should demand it. No new car does not mean no new development, and this could be a wise strategy by Jaguar who may feel they are going in the right direction w/ their current car.
actually it does refer to the avalanche, and being that I have been here for a while now its a little disheartening to know no one notices me, but hey he's from Michigan

As I see it, this is a great move, there is no chance of ending up with a clunker *cough*R3*cough*. You have all offseason to develop the car not just to figure it out. You already know how the car reacts and the improvements you make throughout the season are fine tuning as opposed to wholesale new parts, you also have the reliability bugs mostly worked out (they don't drive red cars so this is the truth)
Old 11 Apr 2003, 03:03 (Ref:565789)   #30
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Are you sure that their budget is like Sauber or Renault? Remember, they supply customer engines to two teams. Where is that list of F1 budgets...
Cosworth works in conjunction with Jaguar Racing but is also a seperate entity in it's own right. Both companies operate under the Ford umbrella and even though they have Ford support they still need to be self-sufficient, at least to a certain extent.
As I've said in previous threads I think Jag are making significant moves forward, especially since they released ego-maniacs like Lauda and Irvine. So far this season I think they have improved to the greatest extent from their last season, mind you the R3 was a real dog. Seeing how much they were able to improve the R3 over a season, the R4 which by all accounts is a more stable platform should benefit from some solid development work.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 11 Apr 2003, 03:29 (Ref:565799)   #31
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe the chassis will stay the same - but improvements will be made to engine, suspension - not necessarily a 'new car' but still improving all the time.

The kitty cat car team is a dog and our man only need stay there long enough to buy himself a place in Monaco and prove to Ferrari that he's is MS's successor.

It seems to me that Mark's contract with the kitty cat car team will expire about the same time as MS will call it quits.

WHAT - Webber to replace Schumacher at Ferrari??? You read it here first
Old 11 Apr 2003, 03:42 (Ref:565808)   #32
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
After Mark Webbers effort last weekend, I think Jag will need another new car this year.

However, on the serious side, it is very obvious that Ford will no longer be seen as pouring money into Jaguar's bottomless pit. They got rid of Eddie and then Eddie Irvine last year, so that saved a fair bit of money. Then they opted for the Friday testing program, which again will save more. Then they are supplying engines to Jordan and Minardi, which will also generate some income. There must have been a threat of more cuts in expenditure for Jaguar to decide to go with this years car for next year.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 03:54 (Ref:565811)   #33
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and getting rid of Lauda would have saved a few million.

Do you reckon the kitty cats are just treating F1 as a PR exercise for their salesmen? Obviously the F1 team will be trying to score points, but I hope they aren't being cobbled by Jag themselves.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 04:12 (Ref:565821)   #34
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They aren't being cobbled but Ford internationally is in a turmultuous period. It's a smart enough move. What advances can be made in the basic monocoque over a year anyway? Just keep working on the parts. Also, Cosworth foots the bill for the engines and takes the cash. It's a seperate entity within Ford that has to work at a profit, so selling customer engines has little to do with Jag itself I'd imagine.

Fair enough idea to go with.

As for Fisichella belonging to Italy and Ferrari? Bah. Eddie Jordan has had faith in Fisichella all this time, I say the guy should get an Irish passport.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 09:01 (Ref:565984)   #35
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Wasn't there a rumour that Minardi would be running customer Jags next year? If that's true and Jag don't build a new car for next year then we'll end up with a private team and a works team running the same chassis - should make an interesting comparison (I would assume that Jag would still keep the latest parts for themselves and give Minardi the older aero and engine packages).
Old 11 Apr 2003, 10:45 (Ref:566088)   #36
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under the impression that Jag and Williams would be doing a swap between Schumi Lite and Webber for next season...