Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Jun 2003, 15:06 (Ref:627184)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LM Tourney: A 7th "Qualifying" Race

Bear with me on this, even though my reasons are selfish:

Since we are expecting more details on the Le Mans Tournament this week, I thought I would propose a Seventh event, as part of the ALMS Season (because it fits ALMS criteria for expansion....

An 8-hour endurance race as part of the Tournament in the U.S. at a "revised and lengthened" road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway....

Host the event on the weekend closest to July 4th....

I know...it's a "Roval,", but look at a general image of the F-1 track and envision my "revisions" first before you dump on this idea...

the only one I could find (indy doesn't have a course map on it site) is at www.indymotorspeedway.com/500sit

Didn't want to copy and download it, beacuse it may be copyrighted....

Look at the bottom of the map, where the road course goes back into the oval....instead of going back onto the oval with a right-hand turn, make a left there....

that goes onto a wide (4 lanes wide), flat, smooth road called "Shaw Boulevard" through the golf course, that goes to through the infiled on a slow left bend up near the north short chute...

Those green lines at various points within the infield are spectator mounds...they are really nice locations to watch racing....

Connect Shaw Boulevard to the North Short Chute to bring the cars onto the oval, so they can race on Turn Three, the backstretch (right side of the image)all of Turn Two and then join the portions of the oval where the F-1 course does....

The result:

A 4.625 mile road circuit that would provide excellent racing to not only the 310,000 permanent seats at IMS, but also to the infield spectator mounds and other spots in there that will hold an additional 75,000 to 100,000 people....

Indy is within four hours of:

Chicago
Detroit
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Columbus, OH
Louisville

and six-seven hours from:

Cleveland (I'd expect to see you there, LeeJanotta!)
Nashville
Pittsburgh

Facility Logistics....IMS has HUGE garages that would accommodate the race teams and a long pit road for adequate race service as well....

Camping, hotels and access are all quite good near and around the facility....

The City knows how to handle crowds this size...we do it twice a year in May and August, with half that size (but International) contingent for the U.S. Grand Prix

But the "Two best reasons" for this event:

1. Mulsanne Mike lives in Speedway, IN...it would be in his back yard, and

2. Mike and I could be your "Hosts and Tour Guides" for this event...

C'mon....you'd love it...and so would I...

Besides, Tony George will need all the money he can scrape up to continue his "family subsidy" for the IRL

NOw...for your thoughts....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Jun 2003, 15:18 (Ref:627200)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
An excellent idea, Tim. If you could have some kind of travel subsidy for European teams, that'd be even better.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 15:49 (Ref:627241)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indy has many Air Freight companies based here....they transport the CART teams to foreign lands and took the IRL to Japan this year...

They would "Love" to have a connection with IMS to transport cars as the "Official Transporter" for an event like this....

Logistically, three or four designated European cities could serve as "embarkment points" for teams to arrive at on a set date to load up many cars and fly them over...

London, Paris, Rome, and pick a major German city with an international airport....

It would work....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Jun 2003, 16:31 (Ref:627285)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Frankfurt?