Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 9 Jul 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2247989)   #1
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some pictures from Russian motorsport history

I've tried to collect some pictures to notice that there was some racing in Russia...

One of the first racing cars. Russo-Balt S24-55. Participate in Monte Carlo rally. 1912

Another Russo-Balt S24-55. Series III. Already totaly racing car

And then revolution came. There was no time for racing for a long time. USSR needed heavy trucks more than civil cars to build the roads, factories and so on. Besides, there was not enough money for racing.
And then WW2 began....

Pobeda-Sport, based on GAZ 21M 'Pobeda'. Sport became a national project. Pilots were usually taxi-drivers, and I think most teams were based in Taxi-parks and 'automobile-combinates' All the decisions were checked by the Party, so the bureaucracy machine was started. But nobody in the head of the Party was fond of racing so they always looked at it as it was only games....

Kharkov-6 with the 'Pobeda' engine. 1952
After the war record cars were the priority way for racing. Speed records fall one after another

Sports car ZIL 112S. Of this cars is still alive. Red-coloured car is somewhere in Estonia or Latvia

Moskvitch G-5 1969
Since 1960 open-wheels became popular

The most famous Soviet formula - Estonia

Homemade GTSch of Scherbakovy brothers. 1969
Russian plants didn't manufacture any GT cars. So people had to use homemade cars like this.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2248002)   #2
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

MADI-01 1973 an open-wheel with 3000cm3 V6 GAZ engine. The car designing in my institute (I'm an engineer - tuning and technical control in automobile industry) Moscow Automobile Institute

Estonia 19M 1977
The grids of Formula-Vostok(East) championship were great!!!

One of the last Soviet open-wheel cars. Estonia 21.10 1988

Racing MAZ 1988
The best results in european racing were riched in truck-racing some time later..

All the pictures are scan from the books of Lev Michailovich Schugurov. He designed transmission for that Moskvitch formula car

Last edited by helgi; 9 Jul 2008 at 14:44.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2248008)   #3
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Great stuff, helgi! Many thanks, it's an area of racing about which I'd love to learn more. It was totally ignored in motoring magazines at the time.

That green Estonia TARK has a very Ensign-esque paint scheme...
Old 9 Jul 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2248018)   #4
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
If there're any questions, post them here. I'm not a history proffy but I know some people who know everything about Russian autosport history. But I can not always check the forum from my computer, I often use my mobile for that, so replies from me are not so rapid..
Old 9 Jul 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2248024)   #5
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
The Rebirth of racing in Russia. My favourite class - Superturismo

VAZ-2108 .The first car of that class

VAZ-21099 (5-doors 2108 saloon) - had great problems with the suspension, so it wasn't as sucsesesfull as 2108

Izh Oda. Project from Victor Shapovalov (WTCC Russian Beras)

Lukoil-VAZ2110. The best and the last. It was faster than Touring BMW 320....

Last edited by helgi; 9 Jul 2008 at 15:09.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2248030)   #6
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"MIG" that failed to qualify at Le Mans

Old 9 Jul 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2248039)   #7
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Wasn't it a Georgian 1993 car?
Old 9 Jul 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2248086)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great pics.

It surprised me there were races in Russia and other Eastern European countries during Cold War.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2248128)   #9
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
In fact,the late 70's I think were the best time for racing. Formula-3 and Group 2 tourers get full grids,races were held in Russia,Ukraine and of course Baltic states. VAZ-2101 (Fiat 124) was amazing racing car. A restored one compete at Nurburgring historic event some years ago. I'll try to scan some photos and post as soon as possible.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 22:17 (Ref:2248287)   #10
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic! More please!
Old 9 Jul 2008, 22:36 (Ref:2248302)   #11
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the red no:3 open wheeler must have been fun to race with them tyres on ,some kind of formula 2 on a dirt track may be?
Old 10 Jul 2008, 06:52 (Ref:2248419)   #12
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard abot project "Moskvich G4" - the first russian attempt to enter F1, during 1,5L era in the beginning of 1960s. Car was not bad but it was made too late - tech reg was changed to 3,0L formula.
And what about Soviet-Belgian Moskvich-412 in the Spa-24? I've heard they were great and have some success...
Old 10 Jul 2008, 06:59 (Ref:2248427)   #13
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
As for red Estonia: It was a formula-4 car. I suppose it wore usual road tires (or the quality of the picture is not good enough).
I have only 'London-Mexico rally' Moskvich-412 photo. Shame on me,but have nothing about its road-racing career.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2248541)   #14
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
VAZ 2101 for Eifel Classic 2004

The idea came from Mikhail Gorbachev (not USSR president, of course, but great Soviet race-driver) By the way I don't know whether there're coaches in motorsport like there are coaches in football. But we in USSR had National Racing Team with coaches. And Gorbachev was one of them.

Aleksei Grigoriev. Coach, has degree of Master of the Sport (and Mikhail Gorbachev too), Sport manager of CityMotorsport team. He was charged with a tuning of the car for the race,

The budget for the car was about $15000. The base car of 1971 year cost $450 in very good condition. Even the factory corrosion preventing treatment was maintained. The running was about 80000 km.

For the first runs there was a 1600cm3 engine. But in the race it was used a 1300cm3 engine as it was more reliable.

First test runs and race at ADM with modern cars. 11 overall (25 participants) only because of additional pit-stop.

all images are scanned from Russian 'Autosprot' magazine №9 2004
Old 10 Jul 2008, 10:23 (Ref:2248544)   #15
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation

The car was great in rain conditions. Factory camber and toe angles were used.

Changing the gearbox only in 15 minutes

Sergei Uzdinov and Roman Kolesnikov - the senior mechanics

Refueling.

at the finish - 1 in class and 30 overall...
Old 10 Jul 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2248551)   #16
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
And some Soviet pilots:

Viktor Lapin at the wheel homemade F-3. Was racing until 1967. Then became the coach of Soviet Racing Team

Edgar Lindgren (his father as I know was Swede) at the work in sports cars labarotory in MADI (my institute)

Back to the question about that strange tyre. It was HOMEMADE from a usual whole blanke!!! F-4 - cars under 350 cm3 engines.

MADI team at Bikernieki track in Riga. 1980's.

Start of the race at Riga track. 1991. There're lots of cars but they are morally obsolenscenced. The decline of racing began...

Soviet rally, formula, touring drivers assembly at Sochi. 1981.

Bikernieki race track. At the wheel of Estonia-20 (#94) - Mikhail Lvov, father of Aleksandr Lvov (Golden Motors, Artman)

Mikhail Lvov.

Photos scanned from 'Autosport' Russian magazine №12 2006, №3 2007, №7 2007
Old 10 Jul 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2248567)   #17
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
And some photos of that ZIL-112S. Unfortunally, I don't know what magazine or book they are scanned from

The car was driven by Valdis Branti in 1987 as the cutline says. So I think the car now is based somewhere in Baltic.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2249062)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, much as I'd love to leave these interesting pictures up, noting that the first batch were from recent issues, did you get permission from the publishers to post them? If not, they breach both copyright laws and our own website rules.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2249150)   #19
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
As I've noticed in every post, all of them were scanned from magazines. You can delete this thread, of course, if they breach rules.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2249192)   #20
snett fan55
Rookie

United Kingdom
near Norwich
snett fan55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Helgi,
excellent history and pictures,fascinating how many of your pictures resemble some cars that were being developed in other countries.Obviously , a real passion exists for racing in your homeland.Thanks for informing us and sharing your efforts.
Snett fan55
Old 11 Jul 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2249216)   #21
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Well, I feel upset. There's lot of optimism here (at foreign to me forum) because of Russian GT round and I've noticed everybody are very interested in Russian autosport history. But at russian forums there're only few people I can talk to about it.
With this thread I only wanted to emphasis that there's a huge autosport history in Russia. But many fact are at private family archives of former pilots. And sometimes I think they (pilots and engineers) feel very lonely and forgotten. You can not get a lot of money from autosport (and its history) immediately. So it's not so popular.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2249458)   #22
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Ok, much as I'd love to leave these interesting pictures up, noting that the first batch were from recent issues, did you get permission from the publishers to post them? If not, they breach both copyright laws and our own website rules.
Russian copyright laws are a bit more generous than ours...
Old 11 Jul 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2249459)   #23
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
John: I've always followed the maxim that laws are meant to be obeyed, while rules are meant to be broken as they are for the guidance of fools

Russia has played fast and loose with copyright laws for decades: I very much doubt you'll receive any complaints from that direction. [edit: written before I saw ens' response!]

Helgi: if you're in touch with some of these ex-drivers and mechanics, you and others can do a valuable service by conserving their records and getting them to put their memories on paper or tape. Even here in the West we have lost enormous amounts of racing history, because virtually no-one was collecting it: countless unpublished memoirs and personal archives have just been thrown away

Last edited by Vitesse; 11 Jul 2008 at 21:50.

Bob Marley
Old 12 Jul 2008, 04:42 (Ref:2249533)   #24
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
I know Mark Podolski,Megafon Racing sport manager. I'll ask him,whom I should talk to.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2251060)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I'm not about to learn about the different copyright laws for each country! However, I'll leave as is, unless an official request to remove them is made, although I'm certain that the fact that Russia plays 'fast and loose' with copyright issues does not mean that we should, too.

Incidentally, I agree entirely with Vitesse's final paragraph, above.