Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Apr 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3726315)   #46
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
I say, move the start to Saturday and make it a 24 hourer. One to open the season and one to close it...
'Might make the drive worthwhile and I could return to RA after 40 years of absence.
And start at 7 am Sat?? All race engines have to be done at 9 or 10 I believe for the noise ordinance, there was a 24 hour race earlier in the year with a 3 hour break for quiet time.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3726341)   #47
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pardon my ignorance of Braselton's noise ordinances. That would present a problem. 'Last I was there (late '70s) they ran in the morning but I don't remember what time they fired up. What time can engines be started in the morning and is it so every day of the week....Sunday different by chance? Is that why the Petit is run on Saturday? (Or is it convenience for spectators to return home. I had to do the 700 mile, give or take a couple, drive home for work Monday morning a few times after Sunday's events. Not a real pleasant thang...)

jimclark
Old 14 Apr 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3726345)   #48
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!
It's just Sunday, and they actually run Sunday morning. Historics 'enduro' 90 min race I think runs before quiet time. It's a church thing and think it's been around as long as the track or close to it.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3726349)   #49
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2018 Imsa is the thread folks. The first page of posts has some good content to reply to!
Old 14 Apr 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3726353)   #50
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Your posts contain the most ludicrous ideas.
And I'm damn proud of it.

Panoz also had some crazy ideas. I just need a long term loan... :P
Old 17 Apr 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3727358)   #51
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
ATLFalconsFAN has a real shot at the podium!ATLFalconsFAN has a real shot at the podium!ATLFalconsFAN has a real shot at the podium!ATLFalconsFAN has a real shot at the podium!ATLFalconsFAN has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

I cannot say I know for sure why Sebring attendance was down this year--or if it really was (it sure seemed to be.) I think it might be because fans weren't too excited about seeing another Cadillac romp, and every indication was that that would be on the menu.
I'd be surprised if attendance was down at Sebring. I arrived on Wednesday to the largest Wednesday crowd I've seen in the 8 or so times I've been now. Our regular camping spot was already taken, years past there was no one even in the general area. Same went for race day, the viewing mounds were just as packed as ever.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3727362)   #52
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I'd be surprised if attendance was down at Sebring. I arrived on Wednesday to the largest Wednesday crowd I've seen in the 8 or so times I've been now. Our regular camping spot was already taken, years past there was no one even in the general area. Same went for race day, the viewing mounds were just as packed as ever.
Also, the camping on the outside of the Ullman looked busier than it has been in years. I'd say this was easily the biggest crowd in the new-IMSA era. And probably the biggest since 2008.

Chris
Old 17 Apr 2017, 21:22 (Ref:3727402)   #53
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!
Well ... if you say so. I didn't get that same feeling. In any case .... I still think that guy who said "IMSA has a good series in its hands ... and could drop it and break it irreparably pretty easily. I am sort of thinking messing with some of the most iconic and best-attended races is not the idea they are looking for." knows what's up.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 01:28 (Ref:3727668)   #54
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autoweek had a nice little piece on the nearly 50 year history of imsa.

http://autoweek.com/article/racing/t...n=awdailydrive
Old 19 Apr 2017, 22:29 (Ref:3727861)   #55
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Autoweek had a nice little piece on the nearly 50 year history of imsa.

http://autoweek.com/article/racing/t...n=awdailydrive
For those interested in the above, I've got a couple more for ya's. Since it's inception I've been an avid IMSA fan, minimal participant, and fan again.

I like these two very much. Get comfy 'cause there's a bunch of good stuff here:

First: http://www.imsahistory.com/

and foremost (to me, anyway):

http://alex62.typepad.com/imsablog/a...ing/index.html

Last edited by jimclark; 19 Apr 2017 at 22:41.

jimclark
Old 24 Apr 2017, 23:01 (Ref:3728999)   #56
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do some people want to cut P. LeMans.? We should want more racing not less.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 23:18 (Ref:3729001)   #57
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
Budget, since IMSA does more racing a year than the WEC does, as the WEC outside of LM is only 6 hour races, while most IMSA races are 3 hours, but they have the odd 6, 10, 12, and 24 hour races, plus more races by number/volume a season.

IMO, the only cut I'd make would be to PLM, but make it like it was back in the ALMS days of 10 hours or 1000 miles, which comes first.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 02:21 (Ref:3729028)   #58
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money i know is a problem, but PLM is considered a imported races. It shouldn't be screwed over.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 03:05 (Ref:3729030)   #59
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
As I said, the only change I'd make to PLM is make it back to being a 1000 mile race. Another problem that IMSA has is that several circuits got left in the cold due to the ALMS/GA merger, namely Mid-Ohio. But that means that most likely someone's going to get the axe unless some of the race costs are subsidized by the series or sponsors.

There was a similar debate about adding Monza to the WEC to have all the low downforce tracks on the WEC schedule pre Le Mans, and have all the high downforce sprint races after.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 03:21 (Ref:3729031)   #60
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Budget, since IMSA does more racing a year than the WEC does, as the WEC outside of LM is only 6 hour races, while most IMSA races are 3 hours, but they have the odd 6, 10, 12, and 24 hour races, plus more races by number/volume a season.
That...depends. Track time and scheduled race weekends each give a different answer for which series does more racing.

As far as race time goes the WEC has more racing. IMSA just has three races that exceed 6 hours rather than just one, and three more scheduled race weekends.

Unless I made a huge error in adding it up, the scheduled amount of race time in IMSA for 2017 is 65 hours, 20 minutes. In WEC it's 72 hours.

The IMSA time is the total of all the races combined, but each class misses at least one race, so no class actually hits that total. (I didn't feel like doing the math for every individual class)

Last edited by FormulaFox; 25 Apr 2017 at 03:27.