Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3604746)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!
is that a reference to JB and wife having their engagement ring stolen last summer?

i'll admit i laughed when i read that but now feeling a bit guilty about it.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 15:17 (Ref:3604761)   #17
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
is that a reference to JB and wife having their engagement ring stolen last summer?

i'll admit i laughed when i read that but now feeling a bit guilty about it.
Actually they have sadly split up recently. I will say that if this was someone like Hamilton it would have generated more press. I suspect that given it appears to be amicable and that Jenson has such a good image it has received little press (not that it is any of our business!) It sounds like they both have busy lives and even once married spent more time apart than together. I think she continued to live in Japan (close to her work) and he in Monaco (when not traveling).

Richard
Old 14 Jan 2016, 15:58 (Ref:3604777)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!
did not know that. sad news indeed. glad its not all over the gossip press or his twitter feed...speaks volumes about how classy of a guy he is.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3604778)   #19
AdrianM
Rookie

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
did not know that. sad news indeed. glad its not all over the gossip press or his twitter feed...speaks volumes about how classy of a guy he is.
It was all over the gossip press. You must have (fortunately) missed it all.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 16:26 (Ref:3604784)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
It was all over the gossip press. You must have (fortunately) missed it all.
yep fortunately i have not seen the daily mail in some time lol
Old 10 Feb 2016, 17:06 (Ref:3613736)   #21
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Actually they have sadly split up recently. I will say that if this was someone like Hamilton it would have generated more press. I suspect that given it appears to be amicable and that Jenson has such a good image it has received little press (not that it is any of our business!) It sounds like they both have busy lives and even once married spent more time apart than together. I think she continued to live in Japan (close to her work) and he in Monaco (when not traveling).

Richard
Two high achievers with totally different careers, schedules and globe-trotting itineraries. Can't imagine how anyone could hold a marriage together in those circumstances. Sad, but not too surprising. Good luck next year, JB...
Old 4 Sep 2016, 09:13 (Ref:3669941)   #22
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder what Jenson's plans are for the future. If he takes a rest for next year but still would like to race in 2018 then he will need to keep himself race fit. As he would appear to be contracted to McLaren/Honda then I wonder where he could do if a few races with either marque where he can relax and enjoy it without outside pressure.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 10:16 (Ref:3669944)   #23
alan1302
Racer

alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to me more like McLaren wants to replace him but as he has a contract for next year they can't so have come up with this idea instead...I don't see Button racing at all in F1 in 2018
Old 4 Sep 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3669948)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He didn't have a contract with McLaren for 2017. He was on a one-year deal.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 11:53 (Ref:3669954)   #25
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
Seems to me more like McLaren wants to replace him but as he has a contract for next year they can't so have come up with this idea instead...I don't see Button racing at all in F1 in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
He didn't have a contract with McLaren for 2017. He was on a one-year deal.
And why on earth, then, would McLaren now sign him up for a non-racing contract for a reputed £5 million for 2017. As BSF, above, says, he, Ron Dennis, could just as easily have shown him the door at no cost whatsoever, but has chosen to keep JB on the squad. Which seems to indicate that McLaren value him, especially considering that there must be a fairly long queue of thrusting young talents vying for the chance to get on to McLaren's books!

As has been said, it may well be that Dennis and McLaren are looking at 2018, and the possibility that Alonso chooses not renew, and this would give the team the option of bringing JB back into the race team to fill Fernando's seat.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 12:04 (Ref:3669959)   #26
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do think McLaren values JB highly, and his relationship with Honda goes back years, of course. Maybe Jenson just does want a bit of a break, but isn't ready to retire yet. And the Spaniard has made noises about seeing if the 2017 regs excite him or not.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 14:37 (Ref:3669989)   #27
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm very sad to see JB out of a seat. Unfortunately I really don't see much chance that he'll be back in 2018.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3670019)   #28
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think that is the end for his F1 career but he has plenty of raving left in him and his value to McLaren will be utilised but he is still free to try his hand at other things
Old 4 Sep 2016, 16:32 (Ref:3670027)   #29
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem a strange arrangement!

In his interview on Channel 4, Jenson mentioned simulator work next year. I wonder if McLaren and Honda want to use his experience to speed up development of the car? Three drivers can get through fifty percent more work than two...
Old 4 Sep 2016, 16:33 (Ref:3670028)   #30
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i think that is the end for his F1 career but he has plenty of raving left in him and his value to McLaren will be utilised but he is still free to try his hand at other things
Like that McLaren Honda P1 thats totally not happeneing?
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”