Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 24 Mar 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3721246)   #16
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
The comments regarding Honda more predictions/expectations than anything else.
The Brands Indy layout seems to suit Neal/Shedden/The Civic and on base weight I expect (hope) them to have a strong showing. The full GP seems to suit less, possibly where the last section of the lap is concerned.

Where knockhill/oulton park have climbs out of a hairpin, and croft is flat, the drop at Brands also seems to negate RWD advantage in this area.

I fear the prediction of problems for Honda on straights will be seen at Snetterton and Silverstone, and the RWDs will be strong at the tracks I mentioned above, but for the first weekend here's hoping we see Hondas at the top of the tree and Plato is the pre-season favourite who struggles.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 18:34 (Ref:3721256)   #17
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Turkington overrated? Really?
Yep, I personally find him a bit dull, sure he's smooth and fairly clean, but too clinical, never seems like he's on the ragged edge. I hate how ITV mention his name every 5 seconds even if he's not in the lead. When you've drivers who can wrangle a great performance out of a car I find Colin's lack of hunger boring. Compared to guys like Shedden and Mat Jackson I just don't find him that exciting to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The Brands Indy layout seems to suit Neal/Shedden/The Civic and on base weight I expect (hope) them to have a strong showing. The full GP seems to suit less, possibly where the last section of the lap is concerned.

Where knockhill/oulton park have climbs out of a hairpin, and croft is flat, the drop at Brands also seems to negate RWD advantage in this area.

I fear the prediction of problems for Honda on straights will be seen at Snetterton and Silverstone, and the RWDs will be strong at the tracks I mentioned above, but for the first weekend here's hoping we see Hondas at the top of the tree and Plato is the pre-season favourite who struggles.
You're spot on with the different circuits, the past few years at Knockhill they've done ok on the brakes/vtec down into the hairpin but like you say they can't keep up over the line. They'd have held on ok at Thruxton were it not for the punctures. The issue with Brands Indy is if they get held up in mid pack tussles they don't have the power to overtake and if they get overcrowded and unable to utilise their superior handling to carry the speed in the corners they end up going backwards.

If the RWD's block out the top of the standings then we'll be lucky if Honda can keep it in the top 6. I reckon the best we can hope for is a reverse grid 1-2.

This season is going to be about consistency and keeping in the points, something Matt Neal has managed quite well over the last few years.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3721258)   #18
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The issue with Brands Indy is if they get held up in mid pack tussles they don't have the power to overtake and if they get overcrowded and unable to utilise their superior handling to carry the speed in the corners they end up going backwards.
I wouldn't be too concerned - Neal and Shedden usually find a way of getting past from McLaren into Clearways.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3721263)   #19
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, I personally find him a bit dull, sure he's smooth and fairly clean, but too clinical, never seems like he's on the ragged edge. I hate how ITV mention his name every 5 seconds even if he's not in the lead. When you've drivers who can wrangle a great performance out of a car I find Colin's lack of hunger boring. Compared to guys like Shedden and Mat Jackson I just don't find him that exciting to watch.

You're spot on with the different circuits, the past few years at Knockhill they've done ok on the brakes/vtec down into the hairpin but like you say they can't keep up over the line. They'd have held on ok at Thruxton were it not for the punctures. The issue with Brands Indy is if they get held up in mid pack tussles they don't have the power to overtake and if they get overcrowded and unable to utilise their superior handling to carry the speed in the corners they end up going backwards.

If the RWD's block out the top of the standings then we'll be lucky if Honda can keep it in the top 6. I reckon the best we can hope for is a reverse grid 1-2.

This season is going to be about consistency and keeping in the points, something Matt Neal has managed quite well over the last few years.
Jason is that you?
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:05 (Ref:3721265)   #20
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He's not the most exciting or dramatic to watch, but if I had a team I don't think there's a guy I'd prefer to have driving for me. He hugely consistent, not hard on the cars, doesn't pick up a lot of damage (or penalties), provides intelligent, knowledgeable feedback and comes across as a model pro.

He is, to the BTCC, what Ford are to the car industry. If you want flamboyance (Plato, Jackson, Shedden) buy an Alfa, if you want something that you know will do a job, be reliable, enjoyable and decent on the eye you get a Ford...or a Turkington in this case!
Old 24 Mar 2017, 19:52 (Ref:3721274)   #21
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Jason is that you?
I bloody hope not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
He's not the most exciting or dramatic to watch, but if I had a team I don't think there's a guy I'd prefer to have driving for me. He hugely consistent, not hard on the cars, doesn't pick up a lot of damage (or penalties), provides intelligent, knowledgeable feedback and comes across as a model pro.

He is, to the BTCC, what Ford are to the car industry. If you want flamboyance (Plato, Jackson, Shedden) buy an Alfa, if you want something that you know will do a job, be reliable, enjoyable and decent on the eye you get a Ford...or a Turkington in this case!
Good analogy (though as a Ford owner not sure I totally agree ). Like I say, he's a good consistent driver, but just does nothing for me. I still remember watching Jackson in his family run BMW at Croft driving the nuts off the thing and being on the edge of my seat (I don't think he even won but he tried damn hard), similarly watching Shedden clinch his titles, fighting for every position. Yet I have no memories of Colin doing anything special. Even when he won his titles I can't remember how or when he managed it. I felt the same about Tordoff, technically a great driver but in a sport that's as much about entertainment as pure skill then these guys seem more suited to GT and endurance events where pitch perfect performances land wins.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3721368)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nothing wrong with Colin's unhurried style. Anyway he does pull off some great overtaking moves time after time. And he managed to keep his cool when in the pack in his 2009 title.

Anyway it's not just the BTCC we've got to look forward to, let's also hope the support package is as good
Old 25 Mar 2017, 09:04 (Ref:3721379)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Nothing wrong with Colin's unhurried style. Anyway he does pull off some great overtaking moves time after time. And he managed to keep his cool when in the pack in his 2009 title.

Anyway it's not just the BTCC we've got to look forward to, let's also hope the support package is as good
Clio's Clio's!!!
Old 25 Mar 2017, 19:46 (Ref:3721487)   #24
Alfisti
Racer

Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have two Alfas. That makes me deranged, not flamboyant...

As for Brands: I see Turks on R1 pole, with a Tingram close by. And a certain Mr Austin.

Mr Rob Collard will qualify somewhere at the back and peddle like a madman to the front.

Louise will go to the wrong side of at least one car when looking for the driver.

I'm going to quit guessing whilst I'm ahead.

N.B. utterly unrelated but drove the new new Honda this week. Nice motor 😀 Only 12 months 'till the stickered up racer...
Old 26 Mar 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3721568)   #25
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I have two Alfas. That makes me deranged, not flamboyant...
I'd call you optimistic!
Old 26 Mar 2017, 23:33 (Ref:3721709)   #26
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two Alfas is belt and braces, surely?
Old 27 Mar 2017, 08:05 (Ref:3721777)   #27
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would love to see some Alfa's in the BTCC.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 08:07 (Ref:3721778)   #28
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juts my (lighthearted for a Monday morning) opinions here...

Quote:
We'll see far too much of Mrs Turkington...
Not sure that's possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
They are showing the advert for the championship on ITV4 a lot.
I don't think I've watched ITV4 since last October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
...anything other than Plato on the podium and I'll be happy).
Amen to that!
Old 27 Mar 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3721793)   #29
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simply can't wait for the season to start. Qualifying will be really interesting with such a strong grid.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3721794)   #30
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
I don't think I've watched ITV4 since last October.
Well the ITV4 motorsport season has already started with WSBK and last week the Goodwood Members Meeting