Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Notices

Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3725813)   #16
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Loughborough
Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!
All the politics in the world couldn't stop me saying YEAH! when I read the news.

Brilliant.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3725816)   #17
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new lap record!J Jay is going for a new lap record!J Jay is going for a new lap record!J Jay is going for a new lap record!J Jay is going for a new lap record!J Jay is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Very surprised by this.
I would have expected him to try Le Mans rather than Indy.
No Honda at Le Mans = no go for Fernando Alonso.

(I had fun typing that!)

At least this way Honda get some - arguably more - PR mileage from Alonso than they would have done if he had raced in Monaco, even though that race would be the best chance of a good result.

Fernando's given up on this season, and I think this signals the end for his time in F1; I don't see him getting that Mercedes drive barring exceptional circumstances. So hopefully next year, he'll be at Le Mans
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3725817)   #18
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if this will lead to him running Indycar full time next year because he can't be happy where he is.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3725821)   #19
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
"Fernando Alonso, who has started 275 Grands Prix, has won 32 of those races, has become Formula 1 world champion twice, and has been Formula 1 runner-up three times."

Impressive to have those championship results with so few wins
Remember his titles came early in his carreer when he had a high winning percentage and he has been stuck in slow cars for quite a while now. At the same time the number of races per season increased from 16-18 in his title winning times to up to 22 now. That makes stats less comparable to say VET and HAM.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3725829)   #20
Adam43
Race Official
20KPINAL

European Union
The Road to Rouen
Adam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Blummin' marvellous.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:23 (Ref:3725835)   #21
fergus_r
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Very surprised by this.
I would have expected him to try Le Mans rather than Indy.
Fernando has always expressed an interest in running Indy as much as Le Mans. He's going for the triple crown.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:46 (Ref:3725839)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not often that F1 takes me by surprise any more, but this certainly has done. All credit to the Spaniard (regular readers will know I am not a fan) - it's a long time since Jim Clark skipped Monaco to race at the Brickyard. Presumably Button will be called up; wonder if McLaren knew about this when JB was retained as third driver?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3725840)   #23
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's an admission by McLaren they're crap and will still be crap by Monaco because it's unthinkable otherwise.

Don't waste your time sticking Button in, he was on the beach well before last year finished and he's done. Give Giovinazzi another shot. He's race fit and quick. Prone to errors as we've seen but quick - you can teach somebody not to crash but can't teach someone to be quick and all that.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3725841)   #24
billy bleach
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impressive that all parties managed to keep this secret. Hats off to Zak Brown for having the vision to do it, the nous to sort it and ability to keep it secret until announcement. Remember Mansell at Indy ? Alonso could be mega....Imagine Ron allowing it and picking an Orange car.....no nor me!
Old 12 Apr 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3725842)   #25
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
At least this way Honda get some - arguably more - PR mileage from Alonso than they would have done if he had raced in Monaco, even though that race would be the best chance of a good result.
I have a feeling Honda pushed for this, so that they can continue to use Alonso promoted as a Honda driver with success.
Any result at Monaco (assuming they could get anything) would be attributed to the car not the engine.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3725845)   #26
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
It's great to see this. And it'll be a little PR boost for such a dismal time for Honda in F1.

Monaco is an atypical race where he has won before anyway. So he's not going to learn there nor develop the car there really. So if you're going to miss a race from a developmental point of view, Monaco is the one to miss.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3725847)   #27
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
It's an admission by McLaren they're crap and will still be crap by Monaco because it's unthinkable otherwise.

Don't waste your time sticking Button in, he was on the beach well before last year finished and he's done. Give Giovinazzi another shot. He's race fit and quick. Prone to errors as we've seen but quick - you can teach somebody not to crash but can't teach someone to be quick and all that.
I dunno if you should put Giovinazzi in at Monaco. Elsewhere maybe but not Monaco.

I don't think Button will get the nod. That said, he does know the place.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3725848)   #28
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget that Alonso's wages are being paid by Honda, not McLaren. So there is a strong possibility that his also on contract to Honda and therefore this could have been a deal that Alonso did with them that McLaren couldn't refuse.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3725852)   #29
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Don't forget that Alonso's wages are being paid by Honda, not McLaren. So there is a strong possibility that his also on contract to Honda and therefore this could have been a deal that Alonso did with them that McLaren couldn't refuse.
The Indy entry is under the McLaren-Honda-Andretti name.

I think the American influence within McLaren now has helped to make this happen. As previously hinted - a nod to Liberty that McLaren can operate outside of F1?

Zak Brown: 'I’m particularly delighted to have been able to bring McLaren back to Indianapolis in my very first year as McLaren’s Executive Director'
Mohammed bin Essa Al Khalifa: 'McLaren is more than merely a Formula 1 team'
Old 12 Apr 2017, 15:25 (Ref:3725871)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
McLaren to enter Indy 500?
It will be a McLaren entry run by Andretti Autosport, which is fitting considering Michael Andretti drove for McLaren in 1993.