Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3726610)   #16
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Drivers have been warned that if anyone does what Vettel did at the start line in China, they're likely to be penalised. If so, why wasn't Vettel penalised in China then?
Because as the drivers' steward on the day said - the rules were felt as being unclear so they chose to note this incident, but not penalise.
But now that a clarification has been issued, drivers can be penalised in future.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3726617)   #17
F1Guy
Racer

Antarctica
F1Guy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But the rules are still the same. Nothing has changed. A precedent was set in China. So if the starting rules have not changed, then any driver can still do what Vettel did. If they get penalised, they've got a very good case to argue.

Let's face it, if Whiting had aborted the start (as he was supposed to), and Vettel was forced to start from the pitlane, the championship would have lost the shine it had from Melbourne. IMO, that's the only and real reason Vettel was not penalised.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 14:53 (Ref:3726640)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Drivers have been warned that if anyone does what Vettel did at the start line in China, they're likely to be penalised. If so, why wasn't Vettel penalised in China then?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...cident-894102/

That article says only two similar incidents in the last 20 years.

Here's Vettel in China.

Here's Ricciardo in Japan 2016.

Big difference!! Ricciardo's right front tyre is out of the marked box, but his right rear tyre appears to be just inside, or on the line. Where as Vettel is half a car's length outside!
Lewis, who was doesn't seem to be quite in place either.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3726648)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the podium!chunterer has a real shot at the podium!chunterer has a real shot at the podium!chunterer has a real shot at the podium!chunterer has a real shot at the podium!
Woah nothing wrong with Wehrlein now! Nearly 8 10ths quicker than Ericsson...

Checo out?

Magnussen must have had problems he's not that slow?
Old 15 Apr 2017, 16:21 (Ref:3726660)   #20
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Let's face it, if Whiting had aborted the start (as he was supposed to), and Vettel was forced to start from the pitlane, the championship would have lost the shine it had from Melbourne. IMO, that's the only and real reason Vettel was not penalised.
Probably. It's almost that simple, but not quite. IMHO, this is one of those rules you don't expect anyone to break, or push the envelope with. But Vettel did, and beyond your point above (which I agree is a big factor), I expect it caught Charlie off guard and he may have been thinking... How far out can he be? Move the internal discussion (Charlie, stewards, etc.) to after the start vs. declare false start and potentially get it really wrong. If It had ended up improving Vettel's start we may have seen a stop and go for him. But I don't think it did help him so they left it alone so it could be clarified with the drivers later.

Quote:
But the rules are still the same. Nothing has changed. A precedent was set in China. So if the starting rules have not changed, then any driver can still do what Vettel did. If they get penalised, they've got a very good case to argue.
No precedent has been set. Plenty has changed. We all have our opinions, but that is a ridiculous argument. The rule is a bit vague and while IMHO the clarification from Charlie could be better, it has been clarified. I expect if anyone tries the same stunt (at least to the level Vettel did) they will be penalized even if they gain no advantage. Why else would Charlie make the point?

Richard
Old 15 Apr 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3726666)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm massively surprised Vettel was allowed to get away with that in China. The FIA seem willing to stamp down on the smallest indiscretions, however that grid stunt was allowed to go unpunished, great consistency.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3726687)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
I completely missed Qualifying but I see Bottas got pole. Good for him and judging from this pic from Autosport, Lewis seems happy enough with it.

Old 15 Apr 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3726698)   #23
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic has a real shot at the championship!Akrapovic has a real shot at the championship!Akrapovic has a real shot at the championship!Akrapovic has a real shot at the championship!Akrapovic has a real shot at the championship!Akrapovic has a real shot at the championship!
Lewis was also pretty happy with Rosberg doing well, until he became a real threat. not a criticism of Lewis, they'd all rightly be like that. But that almost proud smile will disappear if Bottas gets within fighting distance of the championship.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3726711)   #24
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Lewis was also pretty happy with Rosberg doing well, until he became a real threat. not a criticism of Lewis, they'd all rightly be like that. But that almost proud smile will disappear if Bottas gets within fighting distance of the championship.
Completely agree!

Richard
Old 15 Apr 2017, 20:04 (Ref:3726723)   #25
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think at the moment Lewis knows all things being equal he has got Bottas covered, he probably knows where the 2/10ths went missing in the middle sector afterall, no big deal, you can't be on pole every race can you.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3726724)   #26
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the podium!chunterer has a real shot at the podium!chunterer has a real shot at the podium!chunterer has a real shot at the podium!chunterer has a real shot at the podium!
But Bottas is closing the gap round by round.
Acid test will be his 1st corner, 1st lap and the in and outs of his pit stops. Assuming he can get to the 1st corner in the lead!

Elsewhere kudos to Enstone but it is a 1 car operation.... Hulkenberg is showing what might be possible. Palmer is showing what might be possible for other drivers!
Old 15 Apr 2017, 21:57 (Ref:3726740)   #27
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But the rules are still the same. Nothing has changed. A precedent was set in China.
Not really, it doesn't quite work on the basis of precedents. A situation was noted, clarification post-race has been issued, and drivers now know what will happen in future. It happens in quite a lot of sports, where the officials will advise that future indiscretion will be penalised, but they don't retrospectively apply punishment.
In any sport, there doesn't need to be a change in the rules for a change in the way they are applied to happen.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 23:10 (Ref:3726747)   #28
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hey did anyone hear on Bottas slow down lap after getting pole what was said? I could have sworn it was "f--k Nico [beeped out]"

Maybe just my ears playing tricks on me the engineer could have just mixed up the names again. Though why the late censor?

Anywho, good job media and sky team reporting Ferrari have a 0.2sec advantage here. It really looked like it in qualifying didn't it, I mean with Ricciardo ahead of Kimi. Ferrari must have been just sandbagging on purpose right?
Old 15 Apr 2017, 23:51 (Ref:3726751)   #29
F1Guy
Racer

Antarctica
F1Guy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Hey did anyone hear on Bottas slow down lap after getting pole what was said? I could have sworn it was "f--k Nico [beeped out]"
Yes, Tony Ross was a bit excited. He was congratulating VB and at the end said "....f**k Nico, BOOM!!". Toto will not be happy about that.

Well done to VB on pole. LH made a mistake in the middle sector and lost out. The start will be interesting as the driver in P2 has had very bad starts so far for the support races. P3 gets away much better. So SV should get a better start than LH.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 06:51 (Ref:3726796)   #30
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Elsewhere kudos to Enstone but it is a 1 car operation.... Hulkenberg is showing what might be possible. Palmer is showing what might be possible for other drivers!
I know i have been the Palmer cheerleader on here many times before and at the risk of sounding like a stuck record i think you are being a bit harsh there chunt, yes he has had an iffy start to the season, but lets not forget, Hulk is very very good, that was a phenomenal qualifying session from him, Jolyon made a hash of his Q3 lap but the main thing is he was in Q3 to begin with, i hope he has a nice steady drama free race and picks up a few points today, we all saw last year what he can do when he is comfortable, he was more than a match for KM in the second half of the season.