Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Apr 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3727773)   #16
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!
If the forecast holds, and it looks like it's getting worse not better, I'm thinking about packing up Sat night after racing is over. 90% chance of storms and rain Sunday doesn't sound like fun, maybe I'm getting old but packing truck in the rain sucks
Old 19 Apr 2017, 21:39 (Ref:3727864)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
If the forecast holds, and it looks like it's getting worse not better, I'm thinking about packing up Sat night after racing is over. 90% chance of storms and rain Sunday doesn't sound like fun, maybe I'm getting old but packing truck in the rain sucks
Kirk Mellish is full of $hit.

Edit, in all seriousness, they've been pushing the rain further and further back from chances Saturday to none on Saturday. We could get some relief in the AM and have the storms pushed back further into the day, giving us a window of opportunity.

And after a Saturday of spring weather in the hot sun boozing, I won't have it in me to pack up....
Play
by
ear.

And before he responds, I'll do it for him:
JHamiton --- "It'll be fine."

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 19 Apr 2017 at 21:44.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 00:17 (Ref:3727892)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!
It was definitely a play it by ear and see how the forecast goes, who knows another road could fail too
Old 20 Apr 2017, 00:56 (Ref:3727894)   #19
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
60% now. A front is coming through. We just gotta bail before it hits. It'll be fine.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 11:42 (Ref:3727956)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unless Boris Said is around, Sunday is looking like a complete wash out, which stinks, but I'll have Saturday. Will be a push to try and get around the paddocks and see some motoring.

Save my spot. I'm coming in hot Friday night, probably late.
Quote:
It was definitely a play it by ear and see how the forecast goes, who knows another road could fail too
Ha! Atlanta is a complete dumpster fire ATM. Summer break can't come soon enough for some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
60% now. A front is coming through. We just gotta bail before it hits. It'll be fine.
Wrong! 75.

I'll be fine with whatever. Older son is camping with scouts in SC the same night. That's what I'll be concerned with. Well, more concerned that my wife will be a mess overnight. Good thing I won't be around.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3728015)   #21
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Gates opened at noon, so it's race cars and beer time. No Whistler but the Penrods Olds is making lots of noise now
Old 20 Apr 2017, 19:38 (Ref:3728018)   #22
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Gates opened at noon, so it's race cars and beer time. No Whistler but the Penrods Olds is making lots of noise now
8astard. Chelsea told me tickets are available 24/7 at the gate so I'll be buying one tomorrow evening around 9, so SHUT IT until then. Maybe I'll purchase a Saturday ONLY ticket....

I like how they have a 962 on the poster but none on the entry. Hell, there's no Porsche proto at all on the list. That's pretty lame and rather disappointing for some...
Old 20 Apr 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3728019)   #23
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm might drop off the camper at lunch and head back to the office, but do you know what time the gate closes?

Edit - Or I can read Field's post.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3728020)   #24
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Unless Boris Said is around, Sunday is looking like a complete wash out, which stinks, but I'll have Saturday. Will be a push to try and get around the paddocks and see some motoring.

Save my spot. I'm coming in hot Friday night, probably late.

Ha! Atlanta is a complete dumpster fire ATM. Summer break can't come soon enough for some people.

Wrong! 75.

I'll be fine with whatever. Older son is camping with scouts in SC the same night. That's what I'll be concerned with. Well, more concerned that my wife will be a mess overnight. Good thing I won't be around.
It will rain very early Sunday morning and clear out.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 20:01 (Ref:3728027)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
It will rain very early Sunday morning and clear out.
You mean "it'll blow over."
Old 24 Apr 2017, 17:03 (Ref:3728920)   #26
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I'll need to sift through them, but I'll post a few pics sometime later this week. Got to see Brain Johnson (in the flesh) but not speak to him. 64 Falcon Sprint was my favorite car on the weekend (never seen one in person on the track), but the one there was in great shape. Watching the Nissan GTP and the two Intrepids warm their engines for the Saturday race made my day.

Saturday was epically fantastic weather. Sunday? Well, got cool and very wet and I'd bet there were few folks left after lunch. We had to cut out early...for the best.

Good to see the gang I did get to see. Sorry I missed some others...
Old 24 Apr 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3728930)   #27
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Good that you got one fine weather day, and look forward to some pics- in your own time.....

Considering how many Falcon Sprints are racing in Europe, seems bizarre that you don't get to see them on your side of the pond! I guess one reason it's popular here because the car works well in FIA spec and it's those regs that most European Pre '66 series are run to.....
Old 24 Apr 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3728936)   #28
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Good that you got one fine weather day, and look forward to some pics- in your own time.....

Considering how many Falcon Sprints are racing in Europe, seems bizarre that you don't get to see them on your side of the pond! I guess one reason it's popular here because the car works well in FIA spec and it's those regs that most European Pre '66 series are run to.....
Funny enough, a Brit, Robin Ward, was the primary pilot and it seems this very car has been at Spa from a quick search.

Perhaps I've seen one in my past and just didn't know, but they just seem to be rare around here.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3729134)   #29
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Falcon Sprints are very rare here and most have been scrapped for Mustang projects. They are not a necessarily appreciated here either... I think because it's so much cheaper to build a Mustang instead.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3729147)   #30
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Falcon Sprints are very rare here and most have been scrapped for Mustang projects. They are not a necessarily appreciated here either... I think because it's so much cheaper to build a Mustang instead.
Yes, the parts availability for Mustang is incredible! I like the story behind the Falcon being homologated by Ford and Alan Mann Racing with all the trick parts. Makes it a bit special..... We also have a Mercury Comet Cyclone (same floorpan / chassis?) and a Fairline, as well as all the Falcons and Mustangs, racing in the UK. Plus Galaxies, of course! The Fairline was debuted after rebuild by Henry Mann, son of the late Alan, with Tom Kristensen at Goodwood in 2015, and it won. http://www.alanmann.co.uk/media/