Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 11 Nov 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2984552)   #101
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Well, from that press release it looks like Magnus will (mostly) do ALMS next year.

Boiler-Plate at the end:
I'm not too certain. On ALMS-related press releases they have that, so perhaps dependent on the outlet that the release goes to the boiler plate will be included? I'm not reading too much into it anyways.

I wonder if Craig is involved with Falken for a second car? Or could he be tapped for an Audi or Ferrari in Grand-Am?

Also, major announcement from Chevrolet coming Tuesday, SPEED.com will stream it live. (This from Marshall Pruett's twitter.) I'm assuming this will be the long awaited Corvette DP-reveal.

Chris
Old 12 Nov 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2984575)   #102
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting, Extreme Speed Motorsports has shown up on the 2012 Grand Am numbers list with a Ferrari GT car.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 01:29 (Ref:2984589)   #103
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Interesting, Extreme Speed Motorsports has shown up on the 2012 Grand Am numbers list with a Ferrari GT car.
#03 GA Spec Ferrari. Completes their lineup, 01 and 02 ALMS cars. Daytona is returning to being a big deal, which is very good in my opinion.

Chris
Old 12 Nov 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2984862)   #104
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
#03 GA Spec Ferrari. Completes their lineup, 01 and 02 ALMS cars. Daytona is returning to being a big deal, which is very good in my opinion.

Chris
I agree, it's great to see more GT makers involved.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2986272)   #105
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Lime Rock to host GA-season finale
Old 14 Nov 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2986329)   #106
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Good news, it is a great race track. Will be a busy weekend and there won't be much room in the paddock.

Chris
Old 15 Nov 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2986786)   #107
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like GA has really opened up their classes.

PS: I hope the picture for this story doesn't get changed, or my post won't make sense!
Old 15 Nov 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2986835)   #108
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, this looks promising already.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2986852)   #109
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
It looks a lot like a Corvette. They have some top teams and drivers signed up to run in 2012 as well.

edit: It was just stated that this body kit will be on multiple chassis next season, Riley for Gainsco, Coyoto for Spirit of Daytona, and Dallara for SunTrust. So if the exact same bodywork fits all cars, how different are the chassis?

Last edited by joeb; 15 Nov 2011 at 19:43.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2986859)   #110
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Better than the current DP's, but not by much IMO. The only 'Vette I see is the lights and Corvette sticker atop the windscreen.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2986862)   #111
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It reminds as much, or more, of the Mosler MT900 and Saleen S7 as it does of the Corvette itself.

I'm still cocerned that it may be too upright and slab-sided in the aesthetics department. I'd like to see some other angles.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2986864)   #112
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Think, XJR-15! With Vette lights, that's what came to mind.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2986871)   #113
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
The new greenhouse now lends the car to that slab-sided criticism, Purist. You're right there. I like it. I think it is a hell of an improvement. The rear end a la this picture MP used in that article is pretty cool. Hopefully the real car looks like that. Will look better with a more attractive set of wheels on it too. Might mean even less variety of appearance in DP next year though. At least the Riley, Coyote and Dallara looked different. Of course, we can expect one car from Ganassi (BMW), at least one from Shank(Ford, hopefully with the Dallara for variety, though I think that car was borrowed), and as many as three from Starworks(Ford and Porsche). So there will be some visual variety. Of course, the BMW, Ford and Porsches will look the same if they are all Rileys.

Chris

EDIT: They only showed one side of the real car in the presser, FYI.

Last edited by Jonerz; 15 Nov 2011 at 20:09.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2986876)   #114
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed, it may not win any beauty awards immediately, but it's still a massive improvement over those old, ugly pieces of DP-****. Some good vette vibe in the air
Old 15 Nov 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2986896)   #115
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They've done a good job with the rules set, but I still smell DP. I think it's the wonky green house. Probably would look better with the old, wider one.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:00 (Ref:2986914)   #116
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
No 2012 Grand-Am thread yet? On THIS website?! Lord have mercy!

Well, the DPG3 will make its race debut at the 50th Rolex 24 at Daytona. So far we've seen one picture SPEED has it. So far mixed reviews for the computer rendering of one angle, of what one of the DPG3s will look like with no manufacturer bodywork on it. Fair enough.

Cytosport is apparently finalizing plans to enter the Rolex 24. Picket says they will use a Riley. They haven't decided if they will use a brand new DPG3, or go with their current car (updated?).

Also, it seems the current generation of DPs will be legal at Daytona, not sure how many will run, and who will run them. Possibly Doran?

Many of you have likely already seen that the Audi R8 has been homologated for Grand-Am GT competition. At Daytona this year it was announced the Ferrari 458 would be too, both cars are based on their European GT3 sisters, but are modified to meet current Grand-Am specs. That is to say, Grand-Am is not adopting a GT3 class.

Finally, Brian Johnson of AC/DC will be entering the Rolex 24. Especially cool from my perspective is EFR will be in the car!

Chris
This is even cooler on my end as the team is based in my home town.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2986925)   #117
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
They've done a good job with the rules set, but I still smell DP. I think it's the wonky green house. Probably would look better with the old, wider one.
That is funny, that is exactly what I was thinking after looking at these pics from Speedtv. I always thought the old greenhouse was too wide, now i think this one should be wider!
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2986929)   #118
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At least the greenhouse is a little sleeker

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2986934)   #119
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
It reminds as much, or more, of the Mosler MT900 and Saleen S7 as it does of the Corvette itself.
It does strike me as more GT1 than DP, but that's a good thing right?
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2986944)   #120
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That is funny, that is exactly what I was thinking after looking at these pics from Speedtv. I always thought the old greenhouse was too wide, now i think this one should be wider!
Maybe an inch or too shorter would make the proportions just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
At least the greenhouse is a little sleeker
Agreed, the whole car looks more racey.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2986946)   #121
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Another take on the DPG3 Vette by the autoextremist.

Basically, he thinks anyone not running this car is at a disadvantage since GM helped with the class rules...
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:46 (Ref:2986951)   #122
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The good thing is, GM don't have Ganassi... so even if the Corvette should be at a slight advantage over the other cars, I don't see a run away victory for them.

And then, the cars are still Rileys, Coyotes or Dallaras underneath, this is in the end just a bodykit - a fact that DeLorenzo fails to mention at all....
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2986960)   #123
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Another take on the DPG3 Vette by the autoextremist.

Basically, he thinks anyone not running this car is at a disadvantage since GM helped with the class rules...
He's going from just having an axe to grind to seriously @#$%ing delusional.

Edit: Not that balancing the performance between grandfathered and new-spec cars isn't a concern that Grand-Am themselves have mentioned and have yet to address to my knowledge (the new car is just hitting the track), but a lot of the rest of what he says its POE-territory.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:13 (Ref:2986965)   #124
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Then again, if Chevrolet has had a hand in with multiple chasses, things could be tipped even more in their favor in some ways than if they were putting their work onto just one chassis.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2986973)   #125
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
This thing remided me the old Corvette GTP.