Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Mar 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3037820)   #826
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
Starting to fizz beautifully. Ford engines in a Ford and Chev engines in a Holden as it should be. None of that clone BS.
What like Supercars? A Ford engine built in a Chev factory???
Old 10 Mar 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3037850)   #827
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
What like Supercars? A Ford engine built in a Chev factory???
What are you on about
Old 10 Mar 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3038001)   #828
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What annoys me is that if they had done this three or four years ago like they should have then the split would never have happened. But the fat lazy ones in charge needed a rocket up the back passage to make them finally move quickly.

And this shows they can move quickly although time will tell if it's just a smokescreen. It still won't make up for the fact that all the good drivers have gone to ST or are about to go there, or that they wouldn't know a good marketing strategy if it fell out of the sky and hit them on the heads. But it will be interesting to see what unfolds from here.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3038058)   #829
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes this recent announcement does seem a bit weird, especially seeing as most of the good drivers have headed to the 'other side'. Will be interesting to see who gets the other manufacturers first, NZV8's or V8ST. With 9 cars sold, one can only assume that this is basically the current BNT field minus Fogg and possible Edgell (who should be in a better class in my opinion)

On another note, am i right in thinking that Taupo is the final for the BNT's? and if thats the case does that mean that we won't see them at the ITM400? If that was true then what support V8 categories are we likely to see other than the utes?

Makes you wonder why V8ST can't do a non-championship round at the ITM400, kind of like how the supercars do it at the AGP. This would be a very good promotional tool for the new series and will tighten bonds between supercars and supertourers.....just a thought anyway.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 23:34 (Ref:3038083)   #830
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
There is no way you will ever see V8ST with the V8SC. Not after the antics of ST trying to steal their aero and claim their car was aligned with the SC COTF.

NZV8's are already announced as running at the ITM
Old 10 Mar 2012, 23:53 (Ref:3038089)   #831
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
There is no way you will ever see V8ST with the V8SC. Not after the antics of ST trying to steal their aero and claim their car was aligned with the SC COTF.

Thanks for the confirmation Rev, so will it be a championship round or just a last hoorah before the next summer series?
Old 11 Mar 2012, 01:02 (Ref:3038100)   #832
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
9 cars sold? Where was that confirmed?
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:12 (Ref:3038112)   #833
stewies
Rookie

stewies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
It still won't make up for the fact that all the good drivers have gone to ST or are about to go there, or that they wouldn't know a good marketing strategy if it fell out of the sky and hit them on the heads. But it will be interesting to see what unfolds from here.
its funny how all the haters make the assumption that the series is dead and buried then as soon as some official information comes to light those mentioned still feel the need to bag the progress made, personally i couldnt care less about the so called star quality of the st drivers imo the first round was boring.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:13 (Ref:3038113)   #834
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:

So that must have been a Tony Cockrane lookalike walking around the ST pits at HD all weekend, wearing his Supertourers shirt? I said Hi Tony and he gave me a nod. What a coincidence he even had the same name, fancy that.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:24 (Ref:3038117)   #835
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewies View Post
its funny how all the haters make the assumption that the series is dead and buried then as soon as some official information comes to light those mentioned still feel the need to bag the progress made, personally i couldnt care less about the so called star quality of the st drivers imo the first round was boring.
star what?

murphy was clearly head and shoulders above the rest.. then he went back across the ditch.. to be a backmarker in V8SC
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:28 (Ref:3038118)   #836
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrosNZ View Post
Mmmm
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:35 (Ref:3038121)   #837
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
Mmmm
Good for Foggy, now he won't feel the sense of unfinished business when he moves over to ST next season
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:38 (Ref:3038123)   #838
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
isn't he moving on Monday?
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:39 (Ref:3038125)   #839
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
star what?

murphy was clearly head and shoulders above the rest.. then he went back across the ditch.. to be a backmarker in V8SC
Haters gonna hate...Pretty sure all them "slow" drivers you refer to would give your boys a whuppin' in any class - Johnny Reid and Craig Baird have both shown they are more than competitive in an international field, and they have not won a race as yet...
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:44 (Ref:3038126)   #840
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
LMAO!!! someone is sensitive today
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:48 (Ref:3038128)   #841
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewies View Post
Try reading my earlier quote, I said that if this had happened three or four years ago we would all have been cheering, but they were far too slow and now we are where we are as a result. And it's TMC largely to blame. Shows they can move fast when they need to but they just chose not to.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:50 (Ref:3038129)   #842
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
LMAO!!! someone is sensitive today
Grumpy Sunday...
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:54 (Ref:3038131)   #843
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
well you should be watching the 2nd NZV8 race on tv

btw i'm actually a member of the Jonny Reid fanclub
Old 11 Mar 2012, 03:03 (Ref:3038132)   #844
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
What are you on about
My understanding is that the Holden Supercar uses a Caterpillar manufactured V8 engine, that is produced for GM solely for motor racing only. This engine was initially called the Aurora engine and the name was later changed to the Holden Motor Sport engine. It is not to be confused with the IRL race engine, or the Oldsmobile 4L overhead cam motors.

The engines that Caterpillar produce are one off race engines, which I understand are not used or have any similarities to GM's Domestic car market power plants. GM have never built an engine with this configuration in it's history to date, the HMS engines configuration is very similar if not the same as the Ford 302 motorsport block.
So the bottom line is Holden are racing with a Ford engine,which has been produced by another company,which is not Ford or a Ford factory. But both engines are very nearly identical in most areas and performance.

A further matter of interest is why do the Holdens and Fords sound very much the same now and why do we not hear the Aussie commentators talking about parity problems anymore. Not like here with the NZV8's which has had this on going problem since day one and have always moved to slowly to fix or overcome the problem, as they have done in Australia with the Supercars.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 03:19 (Ref:3038135)   #845
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
I'm with you now.
I thought you were implying the Fords were running chev engines.
But yes, quite a while back the chev engines we changed to copy Ford designs as they were far better than the original chev design.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 03:46 (Ref:3038137)   #846
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
So the concept of the Supercars and Supertourers are not that far apart, for all intensive purpose. Supercar is using a control engine and the only difference is Supercar have the same motor built in two different factories. Supertourers have theirs built in one factory.
End of story really.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 04:24 (Ref:3038144)   #847
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
So the concept of the Supercars and Supertourers are not that far apart, for all intensive purpose. Supercar is using a control engine and the only difference is Supercar have the same motor built in two different factories. Supertourers have theirs built in one factory.
End of story really.
Funny thing is, when I was at the ST's I was far more interested in which driver was coming where, rather than what brand. General or Henry just didn't really figure in the equation.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 05:41 (Ref:3038153)   #848
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
End of story really.
No. Not really.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 05:57 (Ref:3038156)   #849
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Funny thing is, when I was at the ST's I was far more interested in which driver was coming where, rather than what brand. General or Henry just didn't really figure in the equation.
I agree, that's what I also think what ST's are all about and not so much about the Ford Vs Holden, I also find that a bit of a bore, but some people live and breath it.
My point was that SC and ST are not so different in concept with their engines, but you have people saying that the ST concept is rubbish, with the cars using the same engine and they won't be supporting the series. But the same people will support SC because they have Ford and Holden engines, but in reality they don't.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 06:05 (Ref:3038157)   #850
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
star what?

I don't really think you could say Murphy was head and shoulders above the rest. He did have a good weekend but so he should. The ST is more like a supercar than a NZV8, so he would have an advantage. But in saying that he didn't put his car on pole and in the third race he pushed the fastest guy off the track.