Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:37 (Ref:260188)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Button outscore's Trulli again!

I know we've had plenty of debate on this one, but I couldn't resist opening up the can of worms again.

Despite starting one place ahead of Button, Trulli managed to finish 4 places behind him in the race.

Button finishes 5th to consolidate his 4th poistion in the table, Trulli has ...er....NO points (again!)

I know there are plenty of Trulli fans amongst the forum, ready to leap to his defence. But this result yet again backs up some of the posts in the previous Renault driver thread - i.e. Trulli, a great driver who just can't seem to deliver on the day.

I didn't see or hear of any car drama's for JT...so why didn't he finish ahead of Button this time.

Excuses please!
Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:45 (Ref:260196)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because Jenson is driving brilliantly at the moment. Well done Jense !!!! thats shut a few people up i do believe .
Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:49 (Ref:260201)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats cos Trulli can only driver well in quaqlifying. He is a craop race driver.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:49 (Ref:260202)   #4
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 fairly poor pit stops and then some traffic I think.

But Briatore will tell you again that Trulli is better.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:56 (Ref:260207)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats because he's his manager
Old 14 Apr 2002, 17:04 (Ref:260208)   #6
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button is going to be at Renault next year, Trulli if he stays on next year and fails he'll be out on his ear for 2004 but I think it'll be Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso next year.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 17:10 (Ref:260210)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was great to see Jenson outscoring Coulthard too, he's now fourth in the drivers standings!!!

Great to see him back on the road to success!!
Old 14 Apr 2002, 17:18 (Ref:260220)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i recall thinking to myself how, after his 1st pit stop and coming out ahead of jarno, that he had just done to trulli exactly what rafe did to him (jens) in 2000, the experience is finally there, well done jenson..carry on and prove your doubters wrong!
Old 14 Apr 2002, 18:44 (Ref:260272)   #9
LindaC
Rookie

LindaC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't pitstop strategy down to the team?

Renault know exactly what was wrong with Trulli's car, which was why they said "BOTH drivers drove excellent races today."

Just because something isn't obviously wrong doesn't mean a driver doesn't have a mechanical problem. The team say it was high gearbox oil temperatures, and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't something else as well.

Jarno's comment:" During the first five laps the car was working really well, but then I gradually started to lose performance, possibly because of the high gearbox temperatures. Once again I am disappointed but I finished the race which is still a reason to be pleased". For Jarno, it is too!

Incidentally, Briatore is not Jarno's manager in the normal sense. They have a business contract where Briatore gets a cut of Jarno's salary, so it doesn't matter where Jarno drives, Briatore still gets his money.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 18:45 (Ref:260273)   #10
The Accomplice
Rookie

The Accomplice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
Thats cos Trulli can only driver well in quaqlifying. He is a craop race driver.
I totally agree and he will not be at Renault next year. He can't race.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 20:30 (Ref:260330)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaC
Isn't pitstop strategy down to the team?

what i meant linda, was that jenson was behind trulli when jarno pitted, but pushed enough to give himself a cushion ready for his own stop, this is what we saw rafe do to jenson in 2000!
Old 15 Apr 2002, 03:14 (Ref:260618)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I'm going to be positive here and focus on Jenson's great drive, possibly the drive of the day. Beating DC was the icing on the cake. It just goes to show that Jenson has more ability than we gave him credit for last year. Let's hope that Jenson will be with Renault for a long time, when Renault powers their way to the top in F1.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 06:08 (Ref:260676)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
jenson was behind trulli when jarno pitted, but pushed enough to give himself a cushion ready for his own stop
Geez that ONE lap between their stops must have just about been the on target to beat pole, if it was his pace that got him ahead.

Button is driving extremely well at the moment, and the results are coming.

Trulli is also driving well. Remember, he was holding 2nd place in Melbourne, made up a heap of places at the start of Sepang, and was ahead of Jenson (in the points) in Brazil.

Trulli is a good race driver. And yes, Renault did give him 2 **** pitstops.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 09:03 (Ref:260740)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm just gonna sit back with Mr V and watch all you guys (and gals) talk Button up after slating him off all last year. Gosh I'm feeling smug today
Old 15 Apr 2002, 09:22 (Ref:260758)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He got a slating last year because he drove worse than my grandmother and grandfather combined!

But credit where credit is due. He's pulled his socks up and is driving much better and is being rewarded with points finishes.

It's unfortunate, however, that Trulli has had all the bad luck so far, otherwise he wouldn't be receiving all the criticism.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 09:42 (Ref:260775)   #16
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But Trulli is the new Jonny Herbert....whatever car you put him in, its guaranteed to breakdown, not make the start, have some bad luck or have some problem that 'effects' its performance.

He did at Jordan, now Renault.

Even the safety car would have retired if Herbert had been driving it, and Trulli is heading the same way.

The fact that he started ahead of Button yet finished 4 places behind him says it all to me, whether you put it down to bad luck, bad car, bad handling or simply not good enough - it still amounts to the same thing - no points on the board, which is all that counts.

Next year when Renault will be mounting a serious title challenge - what good is a driver who can't get to the finish or score points, when every single point is precious...Trulli needs to get his name on the score board and fast.

I've been a Button fan since FFord, he's always impressed me and generally always delivered. You don't forget how to drive overnight - he hasn't and 4th in WDC proves it.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 09:57 (Ref:260786)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Manoz old chap, he didn't do that badly last year if you compare him with his team mate Fisi.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:12 (Ref:261052)   #18
andrew_marsden
Rookie

andrew_marsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JB is a very good driver, IMO he's shaping up to be the next Damon Hill or Nigel Mansell
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:15 (Ref:261055)   #19
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by andrew_marsden
JB is a very good driver, IMO he's shaping up to be the next Damon Hill or Nigel Mansell
thats not a very good compliment
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:19 (Ref:261060)   #20
andrew_marsden
Rookie

andrew_marsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by calais
thats not a very good compliment
In case you didn't know Hill and Mansell where very good drivers, both won a least 1 World Championship and had a huge fanbase here in the UK

Last edited by andrew_marsden; 15 Apr 2002 at 13:20.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:26 (Ref:261069)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Andrew, itwas a joke from Calais, hence the laughing faces after the comment. Welcome to the forums and have fun at ten-tenths.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 14:05 (Ref:261138)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
I'm just gonna sit back with Mr V and watch all you guys (and gals) talk Button up after slating him off all last year. Gosh I'm feeling smug today
stephen, i'm feeling rather smug about our jenson aswell, mind if i sit with you? i'm just gonna get the humble pie for everyone....will you supply the cream?
Old 15 Apr 2002, 14:29 (Ref:261163)   #23
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I can do bowls & spoons !
Old 15 Apr 2002, 17:30 (Ref:261300)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks ST. Now would that be single or double cream Mr V?
Old 15 Apr 2002, 17:34 (Ref:261304)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
I would think that Mr V would be in need of a Wriggler to go with the humble pie . Shall i supply tinnys then ,as i've got a case of fosters here , maybe Stephen fancys one too .