Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Nov 2005, 16:01 (Ref:1467562)   #1
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bad way to win a championship

So who is going to be the first person to get this right.

How many times has a championship been won by a driver having a bad race (Finishing out of the points, not finishing or not starting for some reason) and who were they.

I got asked this the other day found it quite interesting
Old 22 Nov 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1467573)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The championship is won over the course of a season, not at one race, in my opinion.

If I clinch the championship at a race where I DNF, that's not bad, because I must have been excellent in the preceeding races.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1467583)   #3
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
The championship is won over the course of a season, not at one race, in my opinion.

If I clinch the championship at a race where I DNF, that's not bad, because I must have been excellent in the preceeding races.
I agree with you that there is no problem for a champion missing a podium or a finish, but in that case, it would be a bitter one for sure, as no one likes it when he loses.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1467609)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Michael came eighth to clinch it a two years ago. He also DNF to win it in '94 (yawn). Senna DNF in '90 and Prost in '89 in the race they clinched it. Other guesses Piquet '87? The rest would take some research.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1467623)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's usual to happen in all categories. In some cases, even in football, the team that loses is crowned champion. Like K-B said, it only shows how good he had been through the season.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 17:18 (Ref:1467633)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Last edited by ASCII Man; 22 Nov 2005 at 17:19. Reason: Bad logic..
Old 22 Nov 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1467641)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Mansell collided at Suzuka 87 Piquet effectively won the title without having to race, but he did, so that wouldn't be a case of having a bad race.

2005: Alonso 3rd
2004: Schumacher 2nd
2003: Schumacher 8th
2002: Schumacher win
2001: Schumacher win
2000: Schumacher win
1999: Häkkinen win
1998: Häkkinen win
1997: Villeneuve 3rd
1996: Hill win
1995: Schumacher win
1994: Schumacher DNF
1993: Prost 2nd
1992: Mansell 2nd
1991: Senna 2nd
1990: Senna DNF
1989: Prost DNF
1988: Senna win

That's all I can remember off the top of my head...
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1467707)   #8
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was about as far back as I got, the only other one I could think of was the 1970 season that ended in the tragedy of Rindt never knowing that he was champion having been killed in a previous race.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1467714)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rindt's championship victory is the only tragic one really, in all the other cases the driver/team packages deserved the title from their efforts over the season. Besides, what you might think of as a 'bad race' is often simply a race in which what's needed for the title is done with as little hassle as possible. Of course 89/90/94 are something else entirely - that would be my definition of a bad way to clinch a title.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1467722)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Schui in 2003 got it with an 8th yet he wasn't on the podium, yet in 2002 when Minardi scored points they were allowed on the podium!
Old 22 Nov 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1467727)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not for the official podium ceremony though.

Webber and Stoddard climbed up once the deserving podium occupants had gone
Old 22 Nov 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1467887)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another case of a tragic deciding race is probably the Italian GP of 1961, in which Wolfgang von Trips and 13 (not sure of the number) spectators were killed after contact with Jim Clark. Phil Hill won that title. Also Mario's title in 1978, where Peterson was involved in the huge startline shunt... did Mario win the title in that race? If so, both the F1 titles that Americans have won have been overshadowed...
Old 22 Nov 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1467891)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not for the official podium ceremony though.

Webber and Stoddard climbed up once the deserving podium occupants had gone
Yes, But I'm saying he should have been alowed up afterwards like Minardi were but this is kind off topic, well sort of.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 23:18 (Ref:1467919)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You seem to be complaining against a regimented procedure by suggesting that we have a regulation that all such situations allow them to be on the podium.
They are unusual situations they should be different each time. Go with whatever happens at the time.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1467928)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
What confused me about 2003 with regards not seeing michael on the podium is that there was a perfectly logical solution without fiddling with anything:

Send Michael up to receive the Constructor's trophy.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 23:43 (Ref:1467931)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
er, hmmm, and deny another team member of that? Just let the situation flow at the time. If they had done that it would have ben spontaneous and OK. However this is a case of where hindsight falls down as consideration destroys the moment.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 00:38 (Ref:1467961)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I wasn't saying that that should be made a rule.

What I meant was that would have been a solution had that been wanted by the team, but they just hadn't thought of that as a solution.

I don't agree that it should be mandated in anyway who a team selects to reveive their constructor trophy.

Well, perhaps an insistence it is a member of the team.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1467998)   #18
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since when have we had a podium ceromony for a champion? Usually it's presented at the end of year awards function and maybe an extra seat for the post race interviews (ot - but I loved how Berger was getting ready to throttle MS at the Adelaide 94 post race interview until MS dedicated the championship to Senna saying it should have been Aryton's year...)
Old 23 Nov 2005, 07:44 (Ref:1468074)   #19
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The champion hasn't been during the time I have watched F1 (unless he has finished in top 3)

Schumacher was in the press conference in 1994 with top three and in 2003 he was interviewed soon after Barrichello, Räikkönen and Coulthard had left the press room.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1468115)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The tragic example of this is 1970 and Rindt. He was looking down on the world of GP racing when he won the championship.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1468159)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jackie Stewart in 1973 (?) Didn't start due to Cevert's fatal crash.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1468166)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Hadn't he already clinched the title?
Old 23 Nov 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1468182)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes but he still won it without finishing the final race.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1468276)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But he started the race at which he clinched the title.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1468300)   #25
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I remember correctly, Stewart clinched his '73 title by finishing fourth at Monza. Not a great result, but he considers it his greatest drive as he had to fight his way back (after a puncture I believe) on a circuit which was reasonably easy (and, therefore, harder to make up time on other drivers).

Quote:

I see your point K-B, but I think the question is fair enough. There have been some championships clinched in races where the champion hasn't necessarily done themselves justice, Suzuka 2003 being perhaps the most obvious. I believe he was the deserving champion that year, but I also believe that he was (relatively) poor in that particular race.

One that sticks in my mind was the last race of the '83 season when Piquet took the championship. He was in the lead of the race, but once he knew the title was won, he just backed off and came third. OK, I know you want to make sure of finishing, but I've always been more of a fan of drivers who go out to win races, rather than championships (the former should, of course, lead to the latter!)