Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: So who is going to win it!
Lewis Hamilton 20 48.78%
Kimi Raikkonen 12 29.27%
Fernando Alonso 9 21.95%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 Sep 2007, 09:47 (Ref:2005936)   #101
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All of us can come up with some combination of what our ideal points system is.. but really, there's pros and cons to every kind.

Right now, the points system to award the top 8 driver is reasonable. But really i would have preferred a greater points gap between a win and a 2nd, so that drivers will really push for the win.

The logic is simple, when nearer the front, where risk and challenge is "higher", one need to offer a bigger "incentive" for the 2nd driver to take the deal and go for it (a 4 points gain).

And maybe, that podium finishers should be awarded abit more than just the other drive-home finishers.

Something along this line...perhaps? (i told you everyone have an "ideal" system )...
1) 20
2) 16
3) 13
4) 10
5) 8
6) 6
7) 4
8) 2
Old 7 Sep 2007, 11:45 (Ref:2006012)   #102
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree that the points gap between first and second should be enlarged. However I disagree that only the top six should score points. The reason for this is to ensure a constructors championship list (I suppose this applies to the drivers championship as well) that is reflective of the performance of all teams and drivers over the balance of the season.

With only the top six scoring points, a slow team might get a sixth place finish in a crazy race with lots of DNFs, and all other finishes let´s say 9th or lower, whilst a slightly more performing team might regularly get 7th and 8th place finishes, but no 6ths and therefore finish behind in the championship.

As for this year´s championship, well, Hamilton seems a logical bet to win the championship, but I have an inkling that somehow he´ll make enough mistakes/be inconsistent enough to lose his lead. This inkling is no mystical premonition on my part though as it would be impossible to justify that as good grounds for my argument. Quite simply, it´s just that it still, despite him having driven quickly and consistently and in the main error-free, feels somewhat inconceivable that he won´t stuff up somewhere.

And yet he soldiers on quickly and as I say pretty error-free. So Hamilton seems a likely bet.

I found it funny before the season began when some people thought he would beat Alonso barely at all, whilst I felt he had sufficient skill to rival him fairly regularly. For him to be in the lead of the championship even now though has surprised me.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 19:58 (Ref:2006358)   #103
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Something along this line...perhaps? (i told you everyone have an "ideal" system )...
1) 20, 2) 16, 3) 13, 4) 10, 5) 8, 6) 6, 7) 4, 8) 2
The important thing to consider when looking at the value of a win is the proportion of points allocated to second place compared to first. As your suggested system is essentially doubling the current system (except for third place), the championsip would have no different outcome (second place is still worth 80% of a win).

For a win to be meaningful, I don't believe that second place should have any more than 65% of the points awarded to first place.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 13:44 (Ref:2007599)   #104
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am thinking that Massa is now 100% screwed.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 13:46 (Ref:2007602)   #105
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the Macaroon's will win it now. Which one is anyone's guess.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 13:48 (Ref:2007603)   #106
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I am thinking that Massa is now 100% screwed.
Unless it's settled in a courtroom, I think Raikkonen is also out of the picture now.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 14:56 (Ref:2007641)   #107
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Massa's out of it, and Raikkonen needs all the luck to come his way.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 15:12 (Ref:2007655)   #108
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
provided drivers are left untouched after thursday, I still see Lewis winning this. Fernando still needs to finish at least 2 points ahead of Lewis for 3 out of the 4 remaining races, and so I still reckon the odds are in Lewis' favour.

In that scenario after Thursday, the Ferrari drivers can kiss goodbye their chances - though I feel they will be stronger in at least Spa and Brazil.

Constructors? Ferrari...that is after all what would end all this, wouldn't it?
Old 9 Sep 2007, 15:26 (Ref:2007669)   #109
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a sneaking suspicion that courtroom permitting the Alonso title charge is gaining enough momentum and it's ever so slightly coming away from Lewis. I wouldn't want to make a definite call either way (I think Spa is going to be key to this year), but I suspect it could all just go the way of Fernando.

It'll be mega-drama whoever wins it out of those two
Old 9 Sep 2007, 19:02 (Ref:2007837)   #110
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
I have a sneaking suspicion that courtroom permitting the Alonso title charge is gaining enough momentum and it's ever so slightly coming away from Lewis.
Thats the impression i get too, i think Fernando has hit the ground running, so to speak!

The other thing is, if, as was mentioned after the race is true and Fernando is holding back his settings and Lewis has to set up his own car i don't think that Lewis will have the speed required to overhaul Fernando.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 21:27 (Ref:2007966)   #111
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Before Monza I hypothesized that if LH scored 112 points, another 28 over the last five races, he would be very difficult for even Alonso to beat.

With 4 races left it is almost impossible now for FM or KR to win the title.

LH 92 + 1 win 1 third and a fifth in the next four races = 112 pts
LH 92 + 2 seconds and 1 fifth in the next four races = 112 pts
LH 92 + 2 thirds and a second in the 4 races =112 pts
FA 89 + 2 wins and 1 third in the next four races = 113 pts, a much harder job.

KR 74 + 3 wins + 1 second in the next four races = 112 pts 3wins + a second?

FM 69 + 4 wins = 109. I cant see it somehow.

KR and FM will only win it by default. ie The FIA decision helping them out.

Last edited by Teretonga; 9 Sep 2007 at 21:36.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 23:52 (Ref:2008083)   #112
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I would like to see the championship declared void,as it doesn't seem that any of the teams are currently deserving of it.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 12:07 (Ref:2009287)   #113
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There may be another factor here. Within the last 10 days two people have separately suggested to me that McLaren ran an illegal car in Hungary. The suggestion is that they had changed a major component and should have had an FIA crash test carried out again, but (inexplicably) failed to do so.

By the time Turkey rolled around they had realised their mistake (or perhaps it had been pointed out to them) and they raced with the original component.

If that's true, and my sources are normally 100% accurate, then the drivers will surely lose their points from Hungary as well as the team, so that's 10 for LH and 5 for FA, IIRC.

This is entirely separate from the Stepneygate shenanigans.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 12:23 (Ref:2009302)   #114
pottiella
Veteran

that won't happen strider; McLaren have already been fined 50,000 for running something that wasn't crash tested, but because once crash tested it was ok, the FIA declared they ran a legal car in Hungary - just not in the right way. Hence why there is no more punishment regarding that...
Old 11 Sep 2007, 13:10 (Ref:2009339)   #115
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Oh, okay, thanks for that, pottiella, I obviously missed the follow up to what happened. It was the lightweight gearbox, if we're talking about the same thing.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 14:34 (Ref:2009376)   #116
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the next race will decide it. I've been wondering whether Hamilton has had to change his preferred setup due to the tyre failure (I.e. to put less pressure on the front tyres) ... this could be the real reason he was no match for Alonso at Monza.

If that IS the case then Alonso may win the title while Hamilton adapts his style.

Food for thought, anyway.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 15:23 (Ref:2009398)   #117
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gearbox casing? Major structural component?
Old 11 Sep 2007, 15:42 (Ref:2009411)   #118
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Gearbox casing? Major structural component?
???? You mean that thing with gears in, that part of the rear suspension is attached to ????
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 22:01 (Ref:2009770)   #119
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
I think the next race will decide it. I've been wondering whether Hamilton has had to change his preferred setup due to the tyre failure (I.e. to put less pressure on the front tyres) ... this could be the real reason he was no match for Alonso at Monza.

If that IS the case then Alonso may win the title while Hamilton adapts his style.

Food for thought, anyway.
I take it your talking about the tyre failure he had in Turkey? That was just bad luck, nothing more nothing less.

I'd venture that the reason Lewis didn't run his prefered stratergy is because Fernando wouldn't give it to him
Old 12 Sep 2007, 22:07 (Ref:2010591)   #120
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well I am sure Alonso hasn't been sharing his setup for quite a while now.

Anyway, I still think Alonso is going to sneak it unless he has a disaster this weekend ... he's used to the pressure.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 22:22 (Ref:2010607)   #121
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Anyway, I still think Alonso is going to sneak it unless he has a disaster this weekend ... he's used to the pressure.
hmmm...not sure about that.Tends to throw wobblies when things aren't going his way.And not having a car to drive or having points taken away could prove to be pretty disasterous don't you think.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 22:22 (Ref:2010608)   #122
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Well I am sure Alonso hasn't been sharing his setup for quite a while now.
Maybe not.

The question is, as good as Lewis is, would he be totally deserving of the title if he had to use his team mates set ups all season?

Although i prefer Fernando, i have nothing against Lewis, but i'd like to see him win the title (which he will one day no doubt) using his own set ups.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 22:23 (Ref:2010610)   #123
pottiella
Veteran

thing is, if you think about the four remaining races, this is why I don't think it will be so easy for Fernando to overhaul that small 3 point margin:

Spa - Alonso loves it, but has always had some difficulty or another in F1, even if he did finish 2nd in 2005. Kimi thrives there, and I guess we are going to see if he won at Spa twice because of McLaren (like he warned McLaren are always strong at Monza just last week) or because of himself primarily. I think it will depend on that if Alonso does well at Spa, else I can actually see him having a lacklustre weekend compared to even Lewis. Lewis is the unkown quantity, but did very well at the Spa test. He only needs to finish ahead of Fernando, and it could be very easy at Spa.

China & Japan - new part of the world for lewis, but so was Canada and the US...ok admittedly Fernando should have won the US GP comfortably if he hadn't messed up qualifying, but it demonstrates the excuse that Fernando has an edge because Lewis is new to the tracks doesn't hold much weight. Fernando knows it full well now...so really, its anybody's game.

Brazil - it should be Ferrari territory, but I have a sneaking suspicion Lewis is going to win it. Don't ask me how, but I had this feeling about Lewis at Canada, and Fernando at Monza...lol just don't ask me how. He's gonna win it...mark my words.

So thats effectively 2 race advantages to Lewis, and 2 that Fernando can make use of with winning experience. But Fernando needs 3 race advatanges at least...hence why I think the odds are still in Lewis' favour...

you know I'm right
Old 12 Sep 2007, 22:36 (Ref:2010621)   #124
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella

Spa - Alonso loves it, but has always had some difficulty or another in F1, even if he did finish 2nd in 2005.
Fernando always seemed to have some "issues" at Monza, but he managed that convincingly last sunday
Old 12 Sep 2007, 22:39 (Ref:2010624)   #125
pottiella
Veteran

V, I mean more with pace. I dunno..I'll eat my hat if he wins this weekend. I just dont see it happening.

Monza was always more about other "issues"...but he has always been quick at Monza...

Plus, that is why I emphasised it all depends on whether Kimi won twice because of McLaren, as if he did, then Fernando has a good chance...like in Monza being in a McLaren made all the difference.