Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Jun 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2226340)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ACO Press Conference tommorow

It's going to be interesting to say the least.

How are they going to explain away the 908's 3.18, while the quickest petrol P1 is 10 seconds slower, and bang in line, if not slower than their 3.30 race 'target times'.

Are they going to slow all cars, with slight changes in diesel/petrol equivalance, or will we see dramatic changes to diesel car regs?

I have a suspician the manufactuers have already agreed on the outline of future regs, hence Peugeot are happy to ring everything they can out of the 908!

We won't get detailed regs, but it's time to hear much more detail after two years of vague announcements.

According to a guy at Lola on Eurosport, current cars are here to stay.

Last edited by JAG; 11 Jun 2008 at 21:29.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2226370)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

I have a suspician the manufactuers have already agreed on the outline of future regs, hence Peugeot are happy to ring everything they can out of the 908!

We won't get detailed regs, but it's time to hear much more detail after two years of vague announcements.
Yup Jag I agree with you on this
Old 11 Jun 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2226394)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't give a monekys about that. I want to hear how they allowed the 2nd EE in......
Old 12 Jun 2008, 10:49 (Ref:2226780)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I don't give a monekys about that. I want to hear how they allowed the 2nd EE in......
Whats your problem with this EE car? I get the impression you prefer 54 cars on the grid instead of 55.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 14:55 (Ref:2226985)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Whats your problem with this EE car? I get the impression you prefer 54 cars on the grid instead of 55.

Absolutely no problem at all - in fact I'm absolutely delighted to see it - in all respects. Another LMP1 with a roof - manna from heaven as far as I'm concerned. But something seriously stinks about the way this happened - and the way in which EE clearly knew (or strongly believed) it would happen. There should have been no additions to the field after the end of May cut-off. That there is an extra EE is a blessing, but the ACO need to be careful they haven't set a precedent for the future, because you can be sure the teams will remember......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 12 Jun 2008 at 15:01.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 11:23 (Ref:2226803)   #6
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
because the crash test validation of the Luchinni-Judd was out of date and not valid, so the scrutineers showed them the door........personally I think Sergio Rinland from Epsilon-Euskadi knew this all along, and was always ready to pounce with the 2nd entry.

Audi have nothing in hand, Kristensen and McNish have already conceeded thay cannot touch those Peugeot qualifying times........I have a source within Peugeot that has previously told be thay have 745bhp, which sounded far fetched........but a 3,18 qualifying lap confirms this......I dont think Audi have as much power as Peugeot, but certainly the Pug is the better chassis.

yes the ACO have a shed load of egg on their face.......a 10 second gap to the nearest petrol is a discrace, which ther ACO are entirely responsible for with their bent set of rules favoured towards manufacturers.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2226820)   #7
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
yes the ACO have a shed load of egg on their face.......a 10 second gap to the nearest petrol is a discrace, which ther ACO are entirely responsible for with their bent set of rules favoured towards manufacturers.
Arguing that the rules are bent towards diesel engines makes some kind of sense, since there is an equivalence rule there to possibly get wrong. But how can you argue that rules are bent towards manufacturers? The manufacturers and privateers are both racing under the same rules. Inany non-spec series (and also in most spec series), the teams spending the most money are at a distinct advantage, and thats how it is here. If the competition is too hot in P1 for the privateer entrants, then thats what P2 is for...

Edit: Reading the report above, a few interesting points - the air conditioner restrictor break is gone, and something about GT1 engines:

Quote:
The second point relating to L ’ meaning of engines GT1 D ’ a cubic capacity of 7 liters (6 liters in 2008). Here are which should interest a certain American manufacturer …
The corvette engines are already 7 liters, no? So does this mean the 7L engines will be allowed in P1 ala Charouz Aston?

Last edited by cdsvg; 12 Jun 2008 at 12:05.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2226835)   #8
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
read the rules my friend........there are two sets of LMP1 gasoline rules.......the better set (much better by about 5%) is convenientley given to certain manufacturers called Aston Martin and Corvette........Henri pescarolo and the Hugess from Oreca have already vented their anger regarding the engine breaks given to the LMP1 lola aston V12

sorry, im not speculating, the LMP1 rules are swayed towards manufacturers, its a fact, Audi pretty much wrote the engine regulations ang gave them to the ACO, Audi have already admitted they colaborated with the ACO on this point.

heres the english version of the ACO press conference translated via google.........so the ACO are going to let corvette enter LMP1 wit a 7 litre engine........now the ACO are blatantly ass-kissing a manufacturer with bent rules........do you need any more proof?

also the ACO have now admitted the petrol diesel gap "needs reducing"........really now!

As tradition dictates, the COA held in late morning its traditional press conference. Many points were raised, including the future of regulation: it must be noted that this is more an evolution than revolution, Daniel Poissenot seeking a settlement that lives, a settlement that is changing, "while maintaining some stability.

He outlined regulations 2009 and 2010, they focused on reducing costs, an engine for all and security. Daniel Poissenot has started with this point: "The provisional pole set by Stephane Sarrazin yesterday closer to the times achieved before the onset of baffles in the Hunaudières. We want to reduce performance. For this, we will build on the performance at Sebring, Le Mans Series, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans, especially with the pace of race cars. "

This will increase safety first by a reduction in engine performance in 2009. Thereafter, in 2010, the lateral protection will be strengthened, and reductions will be made an aerodynamic point of view, particularly at the rear wing. "We want to reduce support, therefore appendix airport on the car will be removed for LMP1 and LMP2" added Daniel Poissenot.

Cost reduction has been discussed but a brief with the opportunity to play on the number of tires and the number of guns used tyres during a refuelling. The details will be given later. Regarding tyres, preheating will be banned in Le Mans Series, but accepted the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

On the technical regulation, several changes will be made to the 2009 season:

- The temperature inside the cockpit will be less than 32 degrees C, regardless of the technology used. Air conditioning is not mandatory, and the advantage of bride on this system will simply be deleted.

- A table of brides will be presented next September, on the one hand with the equivalence Diesel-Essence: admit it, this issue remains unclear, but the gap between the two technologies should be reduced. On the other hand, this table brides will consider two new. The first is the authorization of hybrid technologies, with systems certified by the FIA, and whose first priority is security. An equity will be established accordingly. The second item on the acceptance of engines GT1 with an engine capacity of 7 litres (6 litres in 2008). This should interest a certain manufacturer American…

The American manufacturer (Corvette, is it really the name?) Will be more interested in the settlement following:

-- The possibility of choosing between prototype closed and open prototype is maintained, but (because there is a but), the COA would like to have a real diversity, "the cars look different and not just by their design" says Daniel Poissenot. As a result, in collaboration with Gordon Murray, a new definition body will even days in 2010, with a wider cockpit, knowing that cars today are still permitted. This regulation will be unveiled in November.

"The current cars and the new car will be balanced," said Daniel Poissenot, and it brings several questions: between diesel engines, Essence "traditional competition," Essence "GT" Hybrid and the different bodies, LMP1 current and future LMP2010 , How to get a good equivalence? The mission promises to be complicated for a settlement that presents itself as the map: failing to agree on a settlement, we try to please everyone with adjustments (engine or bodywork).

In summary, a conference that gives answers, but raises a number of questions… A second section will follow on the creation of two new championships, the Asian Le Mans Series and Formula Le Mans

Last edited by knighty; 12 Jun 2008 at 12:16.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2226842)   #9
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ill hear you out if you're trying to argue specific engine technologies are given some advantage. But the only thing stopping any team from doing what Charouz or Audi have done, and performing on par with them, is money. I fail to see how Audi or Charouz are being given preferential treatment.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2226420)   #10
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting
Old 11 Jun 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2226423)   #11
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
How are they going to explain away the 908's 3.18, while the quickest petrol P1 is 10 seconds slower, and bang in line, if not slower than their 3.30 race 'target times'.
And how do they explain that Audi is almost 6 seconds slower than Peugeot

If you compare P1 petrol with Audi, the difference is not so big. Something you can expect from manufacturer vs privateer
Old 11 Jun 2008, 22:32 (Ref:2226459)   #12
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion

Audi perfected the art of sandbagging...they must have some performance in hand. Recall last year with Peugeot on pole, the Audis were able to turn laps in the race that were as good as their own qualifying times where as Peugeot wasn't able to reply to Audi much less their pole time. What also doesn't make sense is that Audi barely improved upon their '07 times (3:26.9 vs. 3:25.4). So I say they have some time in hand and are keeping it back this year so Peugeot gets too confident...
Old 12 Jun 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2226769)   #13
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
Audi perfected the art of sandbagging...they must have some performance in hand. Recall last year with Peugeot on pole, the Audis were able to turn laps in the race that were as good as their own qualifying times where as Peugeot wasn't able to reply to Audi much less their pole time. What also doesn't make sense is that Audi barely improved upon their '07 times (3:26.9 vs. 3:25.4). So I say they have some time in hand and are keeping it back this year so Peugeot gets too confident...
I'm pleasantly surprised that someone with the experience of Mike still is this confident in Audi's forces. It'd be nice to see a closer fight than what the current 5.7 seconds gap shows. Audi became so legendary, it would be a shame to lose so obviously the first time they really have powerful manufacturer competition.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 23:23 (Ref:2226519)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

If you compare P1 petrol with Audi, the difference is not so big. Something you can expect from manufacturer vs privateer
This is why I believe the ACO are in a difficult position, Audi are very quick, 2-3 seconds up on the best petrol cars, but it won't take much to bring them back to 2006/7 pace, whereas Peugeot are miles ahead using the same technology.

If the ACO really hammered diesel technology (which they won't), Audi could be midfield without a new car!
Old 11 Jun 2008, 23:35 (Ref:2226533)   #15
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When my wife heard the lap time, she's said (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) "They need to be investigated."
Old 12 Jun 2008, 01:57 (Ref:2226581)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
This is why I believe the ACO are in a difficult position, Audi are very quick, 2-3 seconds up on the best petrol cars, but it won't take much to bring them back to 2006/7 pace, whereas Peugeot are miles ahead using the same technology.
I agree, a tough spot for the ACO. We won't know the full story until the race, but some credit needs to be given to Peugeot... it appears they have done their homework.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2226807)   #17
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
I agree, a tough spot for the ACO.

Nawww Peugeot is French. When teams complain, the ACO inforces the rules to the letter of the regulations. For French teams, it is the 'spirit' of the rules.

Old 11 Jun 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2226482)   #18
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Last year Peugeot had to turn down the turbo boost for the race otherwise the car would not reach the finish. Audi on the other hand could run at full power.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 01:42 (Ref:2226576)   #19
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Last year Peugeot had to turn down the turbo boost for the race otherwise the car would not reach the finish. Audi on the other hand could run at full power.
Looks like Audi are on the exact same strategy this year...but I wonder if they've shown their complete hand. We'll know if they dip right into the 3:24s at any time in the race. Last year the fastest Audi's race lap was 99.8% as fast as the fastest Audi's qualifying lap. That's rather impressive...
Old 12 Jun 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2226812)   #20
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
The ACO press conference is done: http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=5797 No need to speculate anymore
Old 12 Jun 2008, 13:03 (Ref:2226885)   #21
protopuma
Racer

protopuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In English now http://www.planetlemans.com/2008/06/...ss-conference/
Old 12 Jun 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2226907)   #22
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the English link, hadn't made it through all the threads here to get over to planetlemans yet. So far everything Ive read sounds great,
--Like the return to the efficiency racing that little Porsches used to dominate long ago. VERY good ad campaign for PR and hippie types.
--GT rules moving more in line with FIA could help with bringing new cars to the series, better chance for wider sales if they build to one spec.
--Like the Asian LMS being out of sync with the other 2, a chance to debut a new car, smaller LMS/ALMS teams a chance to earn a guaranteed spot, now if they could handle more than 55 at LM to accommodate the new guaranteed spots.
--the one gun on pitstops seems ridiculous though, one per side is fine by me and it's nothing like the massive crews for F1.

Last edited by broadrun96; 12 Jun 2008 at 13:30.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 13:44 (Ref:2226921)   #23
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One gun... Well throwing it from side to side with one mechanic on each side doesn't seem save to me instead of one gun on each side. What is the problem with the current way?....

Cost's... c'mon. they have two or three anyway if one is defect or the airpressure of one is gone. So with a pressure failure you need at least another minute to solve the problem. well rushing with airpressure doesn't sound right to me in such a situation.

Last edited by kingkai; 12 Jun 2008 at 13:46.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2226939)   #24
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I like most of the stuff. I just wonder how they're going to manage balance with all this: already now diesel vs. petrol vs. GT1 engines, soon add hybrids to that, then LMP1 vs. LMP1 Evo. So soon the real battles will be fought in the ACO's headquarters, where every manufacturer is trying lobby their preferred rule set.

That cost cutting sounds nearly as stupid as cost cutting plans in F1... more harm than actually reduces costs. Have pre-heated tyres been used anyway, other than in qualifying maybe?

-

Last edited by deggis; 12 Jun 2008 at 14:06.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 14:39 (Ref:2226968)   #25
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkai
One gun... Well throwing it from side to side with one mechanic on each side doesn't seem save to me instead of one gun on each side. What is the problem with the current way?....
I agree...that doesn't make sense to me...seems like a pointless rule.